Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2012, 07:25 PM

2,398 posts, read 3,833,364 times

Advertisements

I'm talking about the boxy-shaped 50-plus women who are 5'5" or shorter and wear capris.

Boxy 50s here and trust me, you don't want to see me in shorts! I'm not about to sweat out menopause in long pants year round to be stylin'. I too am in the camp of "you young gals have no idea"...just wait.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 07:54 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,621,789 times
I just found out I am an old lady. Capri's are my new uniform. They are easy to put on and cover what is necessary. I wouldn't be caught dead in the belly showing styles some younger women wear and in my opinion they shouldn't wear them either. I find plain clothes boring, but you can keep wearing them if you like. I also find the one shirt sticking out the bottom of another shirt sloppy.

So if having matching clothes, covering your body, and being tasteful in your clothing is looking like an old lady, I embrace and enjoy it.

I colored my hair for years. My youthful hair was jet black. My hair dresser kept trying to put shades of brown on me. My hair grows fast and I would end up with three colors of hair before the next dye job. So I told her I wanted the jet black hair or no dye at all. One day I went in and she was out of black dye. She suggested the brown again and I said I would just wait until the next time I got my hair cut. I grew to like the white streaks in my black hair and have not touched the dye bottle since.

This week at the gym a person I have know for years told me I look younger every time he sees me. The youngest looking thing I wear is a smile.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,833,702 times
I'm 30,but I am leaning toward wearing Victorian and
Edwardian clothing,and wearing the Gibson girl hairdos.
Wonder if that will age me,but I love the clothes.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eidas View Post
there's an age limit on wearing capris???? this depressed me. I thought they were a great transition from being to old to wear shorts.
No, there is no age limit on wearing capris, and no, they don't automatically age a person. Capris look good on some people and bad on others, regardless of age. Also, there are wide leg capris, narrow leg capris, cropped pants, tights of every length, and everything in between. Some people look fine in one style and awful in another style.

I for one have long legs, and long thighs. I have muscular calves but slim ankles. I for one look HORRIBLE in wide legged capris because they usually hit right at the widest part of my calves. I look ridiculous in capris that come right to the knee because I am tall - they just beg the question, "Are those shorts, or pants, or WHAT?" I look ridiculous in tights because they show off that icky part of my inner upper thighs. Someone said earlier that if older women wear capris, they should wear only the wide legged ones - sorry, but that's a blanket statement that simply cannot be made.

Generally speaking, it's easier for tall women - of any age - to wear capris. Some of us can not only wear them, but wear them WELL. I for one feel very feminine (and sassy!) in cropped pants/longish capris in a slim cut, ballet slippers or adorable sandals, and a simple top with a long scarf, or long necklace.

One blanket statement that CAN be made though, is that capris do NOT necessarily make one look like an old lady. Try telling THIS gal that:

Or THIS one!

This is actually just about my very favorite look when it comes to capris and shirts - a classic that would have looked just as great in 1940 - and 1950 - and 1960 - and 1970 - and 1980 -you get the picture - as it does today.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:29 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,364,947 times
The older one gets, the more judgmental we get.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
The older one gets, the more judgmental we get.
I have not found this to be true.

The older one gets, the WISER one should get - but also, the more one usually realizes that one can be wrong.

I think the younger we are, the more idealistic we usually are - which often translates into being more judgmental. For instance, I know that until I struggled with the realities and indignities of an aging body, I was more judgmental of older people. Now I have a better understanding of older peoples' challenges - since I AM one!

We all know the first time mother, who's read every book on the subject and is suddenly an "expert" and judging every other mother by her "vast knowledge." We all know the recent college grad who looks down on those who haven't got a college degree, even if those people are successful in life. We all know fifteen year old drivers who think everyone else on the road drives like an idiot.

I remember when I was 14 and my mother was about 35. I remember distinctly looking at her as she got dressed one day thinking, "Oh my gosh, look at that cellulite on the back of her legs. I'll NEVER let myself go like that!"

Heh.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:46 AM

1,149 posts, read 2,513,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
I hope that this post comes back to haunt a lot of you when you age.

I'm in my 80s and I wear all those clothes from years ago because Social Security goes only so far and those old out-dated clothes in my closet are paid for. The shoes are the ones that fit regardless of how swollen my feet are or how achy from arthritis my toes are.

The hair will stay gray because I also have seen how ridiculous some of those dye jobs turn out with the wrinkles and such.

Those slacks and jeans fit badly because no one makes pants that are larger in the waist than they are around the butt. Mother Nature will see to it than your belly gets bigger. She's a b****.

And those terrible looking LOUD shirts? you can almost bet than they were cheap gifts from kin. For some reason, they think we like loud colors. We wear them because we have them and we don't want to hurt someone's feelings by using them for dust rags.

Seriously, I saw a display of "stylish" clothes for the elderly on the Internet. They gave me a laugh. I think the elderly models had been recruited from a local dementia ward. The "Style" was dreadful. Loud. Tons of scarfs, etc. and enough doo-dads and gee-gaw accessories to sink a battleship. I suspect that those that lived their lives trying to be the height of fashion would think it was a great show.
LOL! So true Padgett2, You sound like an awesome lady!

Old 10-27-2012, 11:53 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,420,607 times
My husband sometimes makes disparaging remarks about the clothes a young man or woman is wearing. I remind him they aren't choosing their clothing to please people like us. Conversely, older women shouldn't be dressing in hopes that young people will think they look good.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:57 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,417,982 times
I think I hit a nerve with the Chico's comment! Again, as I stated earlier not ALL of their clothes look like old lady clothes. I noticed in defense of Chico's, people are posting pics of their normal clothes. That's not what I am talking about. Flowy, bold patterned shirts that sometimes have sparkle to them....those are the old lady shirts and Chico's comes to mind because they ALWAYS have them in stock. I am not talking about the necklaces or whatever else people in this thread were saying they like at Chico's. Enjoy your Chico's if that's your style, just go easy on the loud printed tops if you want a more modern look.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:42 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,311,281 times
I am 52 and I wear comfortable clothes that I like , old lady I am ,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty