Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 AM

2,464 posts, read 6,470,416 times

Advertisements

I love old people and don't care or even think about what they wear. I think at their age, they can wear whatever they want. With that, I'm way more impressed with an in shape old person - that is what makes them look good. You look like an old lady, when your body moves like an old lady - IMO. In shape old people are the only people I envy, because it's the exception and not the rule. So take care of your bodies people then worry about what you're wearing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 AM

467 posts, read 665,179 times
Keep your skin relatively smooth and your weight in check- seriously, people can't tell the difference most of the time. It's just basic grooming. I'm shocked at how young people think I am, but I dress more my age and not trendy like a younger person.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:07 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,492,924 times
Oh boy...I'm asking for it here. I'm a guy, a 65-year-old guy. And I have a beautiful 64-year-old wife.

I look at "wimmin", I just do, not for arousal, but just because that's what a hetero guy does. I look at 'em in their 20's, 30's, 40's and beyond. I think that the "kids" (20's and 30's) can wear what they want because their youth excuses quite a lot. It's a shame that so many of the very young are obese or just plain pudgy. That doesn't look good on anybody, of any age. So the first cardinal rule is, stay THIN. It's not hard. Do you really need that coffee cake?

Secondly, as a woman's face and body begin to age, gravity exerts a certain pull. Even when thin, a woman past menopause has certain of her assets "sagging". In the face, this means no more longer hair...I see women in their 50's wearing the same long hair they wore in their 20's. Long hair tends to emphasize the downward pull of the face. Shorter hair usually gives an older woman a "lift" visually. Now, I'm not talking about the "Fiji Island permanent" here - Take a look at Anne Murray in her 60's. A lovely lady who's obviously graying but with a short, boyish cut with a bit of the spikey stuff, but not overdone.

Also, you'd think some of the ladies here had never heard of something called "low-lighting" for their hair. High-lighting yes, but low-lighting? That's what you do when the gray comes in so densely that you just need to streak it with a slightly darker shade while letting the lighter part stay that way. Trying to get your hair all one color is disastrous...nature does not do all one color, but many colors, all on the same head. If you try to get a color as dark as your own from 2-3 decades ago, you'll look ghostly, as some women don't realize that their skin lightens as well as their hair, and a dark color makes them look pale.

What I find really sexy and classy on a woman of any age is tailored clothing - almost masculine clothing. That photo of Angelica Huston a few posts back...wow! Remember Katherine Hepburn wearing tailored slacks in the 30's and 40's? Scandalous, but sexy! I think a classic blazer, with beautiful drape, flatters women of nearly any body type. Also, riding-styled clothing, like the breeches on Angelica, are very classy and sexy. A really classic trench coat, with all the right stuff - epaulettes, double-breasted, buttoned straps over the wrists (you know the type I mean) looks SO much better than a bright green rain slicker. Tailored = classy in my opinion. I LOVE to see women in black, navy, khaki, white, and gray. Toss the chartreuse and fuscia colors. Go with the neutrals.

As for jewelry, the sexiest thing I've even seen on a woman is a gold wedding band, and very little else. Maybe some pierced ear studs.

I better shut up now, before I get in any more trouble here!

Old 10-29-2012, 05:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Oh boy...I'm asking for it here. I'm a guy, a 65-year-old guy. And I have a beautiful 64-year-old wife.

I look at "wimmin", I just do, not for arousal, but just because that's what a hetero guy does. I look at 'em in their 20's, 30's, 40's and beyond. I think that the "kids" (20's and 30's) can wear what they want because their youth excuses quite a lot. It's a shame that so many of the very young are obese or just plain pudgy. That doesn't look good on anybody, of any age. So the first cardinal rule is, stay THIN. It's not hard. Do you really need that coffee cake?

Secondly, as a woman's face and body begin to age, gravity exerts a certain pull. Even when thin, a woman past menopause has certain of her assets "sagging". In the face, this means no more longer hair...I see women in their 50's wearing the same long hair they wore in their 20's. Long hair tends to emphasize the downward pull of the face. Shorter hair usually gives an older woman a "lift" visually. Now, I'm not talking about the "Fiji Island permanent" here - Take a look at Anne Murray in her 60's. A lovely lady who's obviously graying but with a short, boyish cut with a bit of the spikey stuff, but not overdone.

Also, you'd think some of the ladies here had never heard of something called "low-lighting" for their hair. High-lighting yes, but low-lighting? That's what you do when the gray comes in so densely that you just need to streak it with a slightly darker shade while letting the lighter part stay that way. Trying to get your hair all one color is disastrous...nature does not do all one color, but many colors, all on the same head. If you try to get a color as dark as your own from 2-3 decades ago, you'll look ghostly, as some women don't realize that their skin lightens as well as their hair, and a dark color makes them look pale.

What I find really sexy and classy on a woman of any age is tailored clothing - almost masculine clothing. That photo of Angelica Huston a few posts back...wow! Remember Katherine Hepburn wearing tailored slacks in the 30's and 40's? Scandalous, but sexy! I think a classic blazer, with beautiful drape, flatters women of nearly any body type. Also, riding-styled clothing, like the breeches on Angelica, are very classy and sexy. A really classic trench coat, with all the right stuff - epaulettes, double-breasted, buttoned straps over the wrists (you know the type I mean) looks SO much better than a bright green rain slicker. Tailored = classy in my opinion. I LOVE to see women in black, navy, khaki, white, and gray. Toss the chartreuse and fuscia colors. Go with the neutrals.

As for jewelry, the sexiest thing I've even seen on a woman is a gold wedding band, and very little else. Maybe some pierced ear studs.

I better shut up now, before I get in any more trouble here!
No, no - keep talking, your post is great!

I have mentioned my dad on this post already - he's a very dapper dude at age 74 and has always been a very good looking man with very refined taste in women (my mother is and always has been a real knockout in a very classic way). Believe me, he has always openly admired women and described what IN PARTICULAR he likes about the ways various women look and dress, etc. In fact, I was shopping with him JUST TODAY (for a gift for my mother - he's leaning toward another very nice purse for her) and he was telling me how attractive he thought a particular woman was - a saleswoman about 60 years old by the way.

She had on a light cream turtleneck and a short "Chicos" sort of jacket - with a (gasp) artsy print of cream leaves and feathers on a dark brown background. She had on a chunky sort of necklace with it. She had short, dyed (but tastefully so) blondish hair, and was wearing brown slacks and flat shoes. She was of medium height and build - not perfect, and definitely with a bit of "middle age spread" around her middle, but overall she was fit and not overweight.

My dad thought she was gorgeous - absolutely gorgeous - ESPECIALLY her clothes. He remarked to me TWICE about how classy and attractive she was.

At age 50, I would not choose that particular outfit - the jacket seemed a bit "old" for my taste and the slacks were definitely some sort of polyester blend with a wide sort of leg, and I much prefer cropped pants, slim cut, with flats or boots myself. But believe me, I noticed what my father was saying. Here is a man of discriminating taste, openly admiring a woman with just the sort of look that many on this thread are disparaging.

I can assure you that particular woman would rather impress my father than someone under age 40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty