Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 03:54 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times

Advertisements

Regarding hair color, I take a lesson from men. A handsome older man will be gray or naturally balding. He doesn't dye his hair or (gasp) wear a toupe. I think it's frightful that ladies walk around with maroon hair or that taffy old-lady blonde. My natural gray striations are what make me unique. I'm proud of my gray and I wear it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2012, 05:06 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,924,960 times
Couldn't have put it better myself Curmudgeon, they know nothing of what lies ahead of them.
I too have gray hair ipoetry, i wouldn't change it for anything, actually it is more a beige and very similar to when i was a kid, why would i want to dye it some garish carrot gold or what ever, its natural and its me.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I am struggling with the hair thing as we speak.

As I said, I'm fifty. I hate to brag but I will about my skin - I have good skin which I was lucky enough to inherit from my Scots-Irish grandmother (several of us girl cousins got lucky in that regard!). So - basically no wrinkles and it's very firm. BUT - and I also got this from my grandmother - if I let my hair go natural, it is stark raving silver-white. It's thick, it's healthy, but it's not streaked, or gray - it's nearly white. All of it in the front and about 75 percent of it in the back. AUGH!

I just don't know if I'm ready for that look yet. I wonder if it would look ODD with my smooth skin, or rather it would confuse people (har!) or whether it would make me look older. I mean, I don't mind looking my age but I don't want to look one minute over my age.

When I was younger, I kept it very long - down to at least the middle of my back. It was beautiful but very thick and when I was working it took too much time every morning to do anything with it - so I ended up wearing it in a ponytail about 90 percent of the time. But now we have better smoothing products and things like flat irons, which we didn't have then.

Anyway, for the past ten years or so I've usually kept it it's former dark auburn, and very short and spiky. I do love it in that style but I'm getting tired of it! Actually I am BORED TO DEATH WITH IT. I am really thinking about letting it grow out one more time - all the way out, past my shoulders again - and continue dying it just a warm dark brown till I decide to bite the bullet, cut it all off, go completely silver and spike the heck out of it.

AUGH -decisions decisions!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:49 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,883,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snootylooter View Post
TexasHorseLady,
I find it interesting that Chico's survived and thrived, but Talbots in is trouble. I never find anything in Talbots that I like, but my mother-in-law does. (She's 89 and a lovely woman with a beautifully classic sense of style.) I just don't think they adapted to the changing market like Chico's did.
What's hilarious, I am always going into Talbots looking for something classic (I am in my 30s and I love pencil skirts), and it ends up fitting awful on me. So I go back to everywhere that is not Talbots. Even though they are pretty much the spot for colorful pencil skirts.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:54 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-4vTJJvs3XP...73715812de.jpg

Old 10-26-2012, 06:03 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Oh, my - I would say that in this photo, Angelica Huston is NOT dressed as an old lady! What panache! Of course, just like the Chicos photos with all the necklaces, this minimalist style is a bit hard to pull off in real life...

Old 10-26-2012, 06:50 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,459,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
What makes me think of an old lady is me going through the grocery line and complaining to the young man checking me out about "I remember when whole chickens used to cost..." The words came out and I thought, "OMG, I am my grandmother."

Very depressing.
Well it is true. There was a time in this country before 1913 when for 80 years there was no inflation. In fact the dollar became stronger and strong and prices actually went DOWN. I think younger people should PAY ATTENTION to older people that talk about that. Inflation does not have to be a fact of life. It only is if we continue to let the globlalists control our spineless Democratic and Republican presidents and so called leaders in congress to keep letting the Federal Reserve Bank have its way and get away with robbing us blind through printing too much money and devaluing the dollar.

Sorry for straying a bit off topic but Gray haired people remember what it was like to live in a FREE country. It might behoove others who'd like to experience it for the first time, to listen to and learn from them.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:21 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,507 times
Grey hair is such a pain, I have actually needed to color my hair since I was like 26. It is very sad.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:23 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
"Old lady style" is sometimes just outdated clothing. My grandmother passed away a few years ago at the age of 96. Her daily outfits were leisure suits and blouses with large floral prints in orange, brown, and pea green with large collars. She'd stopped buying new clothes in the 70s, and why bother? She was retired, in her 60s, with grown children and little desire to be around anyone but her family.

This whole discussion board is a little funny. Everyone makes a big to do about claiming they don't care what others think, while simultaneously disparaging older women who don't keep up with current fashions.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:24 PM

526 posts, read 899,062 times
there's an age limit on wearing capris???? this depressed me. I thought they were a great transition from being to old to wear shorts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty