Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,098 times

Advertisements

Why does Halle Berry's name keep getting mentioned? Are other women of color (full black women) not on your radar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM

3,516 posts, read 6,784,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaddiction View Post
Why does Halle Berry's name keep getting mentioned? Are other women of color (full black women) not on your radar?
Wow, you weren't a member for even ten minutes. Doll eyes?

Old 05-02-2013, 09:03 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,021,053 times

Horse whinnying 1

Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
Oddly some have mentioned Jolie and Kunis in the "too skinny" category. They never struck me as thinspo material.

Quote:
Chanel Iman.

Spoiler
Of course with your comment in parenthesis you will probably disapprove in the way I mildly disapprove of your racial purity test.

In either case why don't you contribute to this thread and tell who you think qualifies? I agree, Halle Berry is old news, never was that impressed with her.

Zoe Saldana always dresses nice even if I am not a big fan I can recognize style and she self-identifies as black, so meh.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:12 PM

15 posts, read 19,297 times
chanel iman is very lightskinned and mixed looking. zoe saldana is also mixed as well

Old 05-02-2013, 10:24 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,879,647 times
They are both mixed and both identify as black. Seriously, who decides these things? Whoever it is most likely checked their DNA at the door...

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM

15 posts, read 19,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
They are both mixed and both identify as black. Seriously, who decides these things? Whoever it is most likely checked their DNA at the door.
they both LOOK mixed, though. chanel iman has very lightskin which is a result of admixture. zoe saldana is dominican, they tend to be a highly racially mixed group. she also has soft textured hair that is not common amongst full black women like me. why don't you list women who are very darkskinned with kinky hair? why do you exclude them from your most beautiful list??

Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,274,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pillpopper View Post
they both LOOK mixed, though. chanel iman has very lightskin which is a result of admixture. zoe saldana is dominican, they tend to be a highly racially mixed group. she also has soft textured hair that is not common amongst full black women like me. why don't you list women who are very darkskinned with kinky hair? why do you exclude them from your most beautiful list??
Everyone has their own tastes. I don't really think really dark-skinned women look that good IMO. I'm white and they just don't appeal to me. I personally like slight tanned or pale looking women. Then it narrows down from there. Obviously really dark skinned women aren't ugly....im just not attracted to them.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:13 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
While I broadly agree with the sentiment I noticed the term kinesthetic beauty which we simply call comportment.

Am I missing out on the latest lingo? Please fill me in.

No. I use it to be more holistic.
Comportment by common definition is bearing, demeanor and behavior. These are great attributes which contribute to the floating subjective parameters of beauty to various beholders.

Kinesthetic is more about how the physical visual whole moves (akin to 'deportment'): fluidity of motion, muscular control, smoothness, conveying healthiness and fitness. Contrast the way, say, a member of the feline family moves versus the pachyderm family in the animal kingdom or the movement of a racehorse at Kentucky Derby (Stacey Keibler ) versus, say, a mule or plow horse.
Note, a draft horse is just as beautiful kinesthetically, just in a different way. Hence, some women can look like, say Gina Carano, Annie Thorisdottir, (fitness competitors) and be just a different type of beauty - again, within the floating parameters of beauty to various different beholders.

Part of the problem is Hollywood and mass media in todays age, tends to always show an idealized 'willowy' race horse, causing women of different body types to focus on something often unrealistic for themselves versus focusing on what to do to make themselves look their best for their inherent body type.

Someone can be well 'comported' but not healthy. Whereas, the kinesthetic is more toward visual fluid aesthetics i.e. the anthropological quest for survival - best for breeding - I think you or another poster mentioned previously.

Here's a funny clip from a classic film, The Women, showing some training at 2:30 minute mark. I particularly find the instructor most delightful.

The Women (1939): Witty Lines - YouTube

In this group I prefer Paulette Goddard (Charlie Chaplin had great taste) and Joan Crawford (started career as dancer). Note the two without 'comportment' at the 6:23 mark for laughs.

Kinesthetic beauty comes in all shapes and sizes: from petite lithe ballet dancers, figure ice skaters, sparkplug dynamos in gymnastics, solid downhill skiers, to rangy volleyball, tennis or swimmers, or just plain genetically blessed. They are all good when the person is fit and healthy for their body type and has the added comportment bearing and demeanor.

I know, a tad too much, but this is only one aspect of a woman's beauty as the intangibles aptitude , attitude really make a big difference - again, depending on what each subjective individual finds of most importance, but you asked..

Old 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM

4,210 posts, read 4,462,073 times
Quote:
Dorothy Dandridge
Lena Horne
Dinah Shore
Diahann Carroll
Vanessa Williams.....
Pam Grier?

Blame Hollywood casting directors I guess.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty