Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:56 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times

Advertisements

Judging by the fact that a quarter of any Dicks store is dominated by North Face jackets (and associated gear), I suspect the North Face brand is still "in."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2013, 09:00 AM

4,512 posts, read 5,055,664 times
I refuse to wear any clothing that has a name on the front or back or sleeve. By that I mean a manufacturers name, not a advertisement. I was just shopping for a new Winter jacket and I had a hell of a time finding one without a name on it.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:17 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I was in the DC area last week (I live in Miami) and everyone and their brother had one (all of them black in color); seems like a uniform item, that and tights with uggs.
You got that right! I live in MD, and I see a lot here. In fact, I wouldn't mind having one myself. They're warm but lightweight.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,435,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
Judging by the fact that a quarter of any Dicks store is dominated by North Face jackets (and associated gear), I suspect the North Face brand is still "in."
I agree. I think they are timeless, myself. They never struck me as trendy garments. But maybe they are for younger folks.

Now, what about those dang Timberlands? They apparently will never go out of style, and I could easily say they are so "mid-90s" (or even early 90s). But hey, people wear what they want. It's not difficult to see someone wearing vintage 90s, 80s or even 70s wear. I will indulge in a little of that myself, and get compliments. A lot of older clothes and jewelry are great. Members Only jackets however, I don't know. Don't comedians joke about those in their stand-ups?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:22 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Ditto here in the Pacific Northwest. My North Face jacket looks like new even though I missed the memo and according to the OP bought it when it was already passe in 2007; it's warm, and I love the lavender color.

I think when I was younger and worked as a field biologist, I must have spent too much time in Africa and South America around people who were happy if they had a striped shirt and plaid pants to wear together that didn't have too many holes in them, because for the life of me, I've never been able to understand brand and style snobbishness.
yeah, me neither.

We've got a rack of windbreaker type jackets out on the pegs in the garage hallway. I don't even think I could tell you what brands are out there. Most bought at Costco.

The last couple years, I've been wearing a "Zara". We were on a fishing cabin trip in Northern Minnesota and the weather turned - suddenly freezing cold in early May. No shopping malls anywhere near us, happened on a yard sale on our way into town (such as it was) and happened on a yard sale. I paid like $3 for it. Never heard of that brand before but it appears from their website that it was/is somewhat upscale and most likely a couple hundred bucks brand new (?)

Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I thought it was ssoooo 2005? Do people still wear North Face jackets where you live?
And I thought snobs were like ssoooo 1985!

Oh wait... the 80's are back, aren't they? I've been seeing a crap-ton of crappy 80's fashion trends lately. The bright colors are just as horrific now as they were back then.

North Face is still very commonly worn in the PNW. Not that the PNW is very fashion-conscious to begin with. But it's cold and wet here, so yes - North Face jackets are quite popular here because they are very well made and very functional. They keep you warm and dry, which is what a jacket is supposed to do.

North Face is pricey if you buy it new, but the NF jackets and sweaters my family has we found a thrift stores and estate sales for under $10 a piece.

The sweater I'm wearing right now I paid $5 for at Value Village (a thrift store). It's my favorite sweater. Soft and warm. I don't recognize the brand... the label says "threads 4 thought"... I've never heard of it.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:20 AM

505 posts, read 940,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJerseyMemories View Post
While helping my husband find a new coat, I saw some Members Only jackets in Burlington Coat Factory the other day *hangs head in shame at shopping at Burlington*

I didn't know they made those anymore. I don't think I ever knew anyone that wore them.
Wait, are we married? Because, that's exactly what happened with my wife and me this weekend. Not kidding.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:44 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,070 times
Wait? What's wrong with shopping at Burlington Coat Factory?

I admit I've never found much for myself there but ours has had some great buy-outs of old Gymboree stock (the good stuff from the retail stores not the cheaper stuff from the Gymboree outlet)

Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 PM

143 posts, read 246,499 times
Quote:
I thought it was ssoooo 2005? Do people still wear North Face jackets where you live?
Some people soooooo don't care about the brand as long as their jacket is still warm and together at the seams. And yes, I do still see a lot of NF jackets around.

Old 11-18-2013, 02:16 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,563,106 times
Quote:
Yea, but they don't follow fashion, they wear North face because they are robust and weatherproof. Likely half the people wearing them can't even remember the brand name they are wearing because its not relevant or important to them. They wear a jacket for its jacket value, not because of status anxiety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty