Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 05:37 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
How much extensive research have you done in the US to make these generalizations and how many
college campuses, states and cities have you been to - to make such demeaning generalizations?
And are you including all of America (Canada, the US and Mexico)?
My eyes are wide open and it doesn't feel good to hear a narrow description of beauty or bashing
anyone because of their income, where they live or what they live in.
I have enough of data points to claim that visiting a random, marginally prestigious university campus would support all my claims, I was especially impressed with MI campuses. Equally, visiting a random trailer part would support my claims. You don't know any woman like the one I described in my post above, do you? Acing "Exploring Justice and Equality 101" is not enough to accuse anyone in "demeaning" of anybody. If you find real world and real mating preferences "demeaning", I'm not the one you should send your complaints to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:51 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I have enough of data points to claim that visiting a random, marginally prestigious university campus would support all my claims, I was especially impressed with MI campuses. Equally, visiting a random trailer part would support my claims. You don't know any woman like the one I described in my post above, do you? Acing "Exploring Justice and Equality 101" is not enough to accuse anyone in "demeaning" of anybody. If you find real world and real mating preferences "demeaning", I'm not the one you should send your complaints to.
Since you started this thread did you think everyone was going to agree with you?
One university??? How many women do you know personally?
Is income disparity an immediate turn off? What are the exact numbers ($$$$$) that either
make you turn away or take a look?

Scroll down and see a few trailer parks in the US - pretty disgusting aren't they?

6 Trailer Parks In Super Posh Locales | New Hampshire Public Radio

Old 03-11-2014, 01:45 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
Actresses are meant to play characters, some of whom are meant to be average or even unattractive. Models display clothing & are meant to be props of sorts, like mannequins; at most they are beautiful in an interesting, "artistic" way. Being beautiful is not the job of these people. Women don't owe it to the world to be beautiful; they have other qualities they can rightly be famous for.

Old 03-11-2014, 12:45 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Another one for the compilation..... That seems to totally miss the point of the thread (even as I agree with the first half of it).

I think Christie Brinkley gave away part of the secret a few weeks ago on TV, when she mentioned how costly retouching used to be. That helps today's famous women to be beauty icons even when they're not really attractive.

Old 03-11-2014, 08:16 PM

2,182 posts, read 2,320,819 times
You're not the only one, OP. Lots of people don't find celebrities to be all that. All it takes to prove this is to have conversations in real life with real people. Ever see photos of these beauty icons without makeup? In most cases, there is definitely nothing to write home about. And that's not an insult to them. Most people's looks could be upgraded to the beautiful category given the same resources (professionally applied makeup, designer wardrobe, correct posturing, airbrushing and lighting).

Old 03-12-2014, 08:14 AM

1,659 posts, read 1,658,574 times
Count me out then. I consider the celebrities you discount as beautiful. Sure they wear a lot of makeup and have a bunch of "help" looking the way they do but it works. I always considered Jane Seymour as the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen and I know she wouldn't look as good without her makeup but so what? How is that bad? And I disagree that most women look better without makeup. It helps, sometimes dramatically.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:18 AM

368 posts, read 577,596 times
Without makeup some of them look pretty scary.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:26 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
I agree with the poster. To me, it's the clean-faced, healthy girl or boy next door, un-enhanced, with all oringinal body parts look that represents true beauty.

The heavily made-up, re-touched artificial look (and body parts) that pass for beauty among some models and celebrities reminds me of mannequins--or cyborg replicants.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:01 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Id say nowadays they all get implants no matter how small... so dont let the natural looking ones who appear to not have had work done havent.... Merlyll Streep was never a beauty, never will be , but she is ok for her age.. its amazing what a tiny tuck. some fillers and a tweak can achieve.... its their life being in front of a camera and they want the work....Evan middle age spread can be sucked out as well as old womans arms... I laughed to myself at a site discussing if Sophia Loren has had work done... who are they joking... back in the 80s she was on a TV show and was never seen without a scarf round her neck.. now its bare or with a necklace. amazing what thirty years can do turning back the clock.........her jawline is razor sharp like a twenty year old.. she may not look like my granny did but shes had loads of work done..

Old 03-12-2014, 09:09 AM

392 posts, read 352,222 times
The media in the last couple of decades has tried to pawn off mediocre woman as beautiful. Most of the modern icons are all teeth as if a mouth that looks like the perfect piano key board is beautiful...Or those swollen lips...pumped up with junk. The females that the gay controlled fashion industry tries to present as hot...all look like skinny under fed boys...This look might be appealing to gays and some duped females and males who think that a woman without a drop of body fat is some how a wonderful sight...bothers me.

Take a look at some of the old black and white movies of a bygone era...You will see perfect facial structure...NORMAL bodies...true natural beauty....It seems that natural has been pushed aside for the phony beauty ...the kind that money can construct. Looking back a decade when the media tried to present Madonna as beautiful...Well....take away the false blonde hair and all you have is a homely Italian chick....Look at Miley Cyrus....homely...Yet presented as beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty