Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 07:43 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,438,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
but if women find body hair so gross on themselves it's odd they are so against men following suit. It's all just social conditioning, really.
Social conditioning, exactly. Very few women actually find their own body hair gross.

Anyway, I don't think the issue men being feminine, it's them being perceived as fussy or stuck on themselves. For instance, I am one of those women who does the bare minimum to be perceived as feminine in our society - I will put on a dress for the proper occasion, I shave my legs/arms when I feel like it (though I wish I had never started), and I wear a little makeup now that I'm getting older. That's about it. I don't wear heels, get mani/pedis, have an involved hairstyle, etc. If I'm with a man, I hardly want him to be the type who is going to fuss in the bathroom - for longer than I am in there - grooming to look "just right" rather than just being hygienic and presentable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2014, 08:52 PM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times
I could care less if a man wants to look feminine nor do I care if a female wants to look masculine....to each is own.

However if you ask me if I would be attracted to a man that looks feminine.......the answer would be no. Does that mean I'm against it.....again no.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,206,770 times
Yeah, I have a soft voice like a girl instead of the gruff manly roar women want.

There is nothing I can do about that, sorry ladies . I dress up like a man, and enjoy rail fanning A LOT (my only defining manly qualities).

Old 03-28-2014, 09:00 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Quote:
For instance if there's a thread about men removing body hair, wearing makeup, caring about fashion, about their body in general, many women seem disdainful and judgemental about it.

I mean ask yourself, who made these things 'feminine' to begin with? Human society did, there's nothing innately feminine about that. In some cultures it is actually men who wear makeup, and in the animal world it's usually males who are the more eye-catching, colourful, 'pretty' gender (think peacocks.etc).

I think there are too many men who buy into the idea that fashion and appearances and looking beautiful is a female domain. This restricted 1950s view of the world will change one day, everything changes. I guess I feel women here at least seem very conservative in terms of their idea of male beauty. Basically men should be 'men' with the very narrow man-made definition.
You know I try to.stay ouf of these topics nowadays because I am not interested in debates but I understand some of what you are saying. Men have always been expected to be a certain way and even as times have changed men are still with the short end of the stick. I agree that society is responsible for this, they make all kinds of clothes and great products for women to stay looking young and look their best but for men there is practically nothing and when men try to take care of their bodies then they are acussed of being gay and wussies and all that crap. Yes our society especially the extremely conservative segment of it is still stuck in the 50's but hey that is how it goes. I take care of myself and have no problem with removing body hair from places I don't like, I don't think it has taken an ounce of manhood out of me.

Last edited by 1orlando; 03-28-2014 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 PM

686 posts, read 1,231,148 times
Quote:
".....against men being feminine". For instance if there's a thread about men removing body hair, wearing makeup, caring about fashion, about their body in general, many women seem disdainful and judgemental about it. .
Whoa, slow down there. You are all over the board on this. Lets take it one at a time:

1. Removing body hair - Not feminine.
2. Wearing makeup - feminine. Usually means gay (unless they are on tv or in a rock band).
3. Caring about fashion - Not feminine if caring about MENS fashion. Caring about designer purses, accessorizing, and overall "Project Runway" type fashion is feminine and gay.
4. About body in general - Not feminine. If physical (i.e., exercise) this is normal and NOT feminine. If he gets all into moisturizers, non shaving related hydration products, etc. Usually means feminine and/or gay. But for the most part, "body in general" is just basic good health and hygiene.

Quote:
In some cultures it is actually men who wear makeup, and in the animal world it's usually males who are the more eye-catching, colourful, 'pretty' gender (think peacocks.etc). .
This here is 'Merica. This is OUR culture. This isn't the animal world either. This is the good ol Red, White and Blue. We like men to be men, and we like women to be women.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:12 PM

195 posts, read 281,557 times
why would anyone be in favor of a man acting/looking like a sissy? I certainly don't like or want women to act like dudes.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:25 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
You know folks there is too much ignorance in our society, but some of it is just too much. I hope we evolve soon enough to understand that being a man or being a woman is not just about looks or society's expectations. By some of these opinions it would be fair game to acuse a man who choses to become a cosmetologist or massage therapist or nurse of being feminine or gay simply because "real men don't do those things right"? I am not advocating for men to go out of their way to act like women or act ultra sensitive or anything like that but come on some of the things that men are being ridiculed for are downright ridiculous themselves.

Last edited by 1orlando; 03-28-2014 at 10:11 PM..

Old 03-28-2014, 09:35 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quoss View Post
why would anyone be in favor of a man acting/looking like a sissy? I certainly don't like or want women to act like dudes.
nobody is in favor of either. People just accept it. Women around here want nothing more than to go muddin and beer drinking which doesnt do much for me but hey if thats what they wanna do then hey more power to em. But at the same time since i was open minded enough to accept what they do then they can accept what i do.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:51 PM

148 posts, read 263,031 times
Quote:
Why are so many women here against men being 'feminine'?
Because this relationship only needs one person with a vagina, and that's ME!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:09 PM

9,556 posts, read 20,799,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Social conditioning, exactly. Very few women actually find their own body hair gross.

Anyway, I don't think the issue men being feminine, it's them being perceived as fussy or stuck on themselves. For instance, I am one of those women who does the bare minimum to be perceived as feminine in our society - I will put on a dress for the proper occasion, I shave my legs/arms when I feel like it (though I wish I had never started), and I wear a little makeup now that I'm getting older. That's about it. I don't wear heels, get mani/pedis, have an involved hairstyle, etc. If I'm with a man, I hardly want him to be the type who is going to fuss in the bathroom - for longer than I am in there - grooming to look "just right" rather than just being hygienic and presentable.
Actually they do. Or else they wouldn't say shave their armpits even in winter when they don't show 'em off. Many women still shave all over when they're covered up. When a women decides to stop shaving it is often women who are most vociferous in expressing how disgusting they find it. In little over a few generations it's become taboo.

But yeah, I'm actually not at all the type to fuss about appearance...in fact I'm a borderline slob, I don't even shave more than once a week usually (although it's partly deliberate, since a bit of facial hair makes me look not like an 18 year old lol), just wear what I find comfortable, and do the minimum to stay hygenic...perhaps I should take more care of myself. Anyway, it's just annoying when I see these narrow-minded attitudes.

I'd be cool with a lady like you too...how ladylike and feminine is not based on how you dressed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty