Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 09:24 AM

555 posts, read 803,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Is it an age related thing, a matter of looks, or something related with your personality. I honestly have trouble understanding the difference between what women refer to as "Cute" and "Handsome" guys.

So once again, where do you draw the infinitesimal line between these 2 terms. This is just to get a better understanding of the notation women use to express their ideas, nothing more. I've been called cute a couple dozen times, but never referred to as handsome. Is that saying something ?
Men can be both. And it's quite nice when they are.

FWIW, I don't know that I'd necessarily go around telling men they're handsome, cute, hot, or whatever, but that doesn't mean I don't think that of them. There are many ways to convey you like what you see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2014, 12:26 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,600,795 times
Probably not too different than the difference between "cute" and "hot" or "beautiful" women, except that us guys still want to nail the "cute" ones, too, while some women think of "hot" or "handsome" as 'doable' while 'cute' is like a teddy bear. Furthermore someone can be more than one of those descriptions.

I will say I ran across a woman today who can only be described as "ridiculously cute". She's EXTREMELY attractive, but the word "beautiful" isn't really accurate. She could be called hot as well, but really, she's just CUTE, but only excessively so.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:03 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,688,396 times
Mario Lopez would be considered cute.
Cary Grant would be considered Handsome.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 AM

948 posts, read 920,290 times
Handsome and cute mean the same thing to me.

My choice of words would depend on who I'm talking to and the setting, rather than who the guy is. If I'm talking to some friends in a casual setting, I'd say "cute". In a setting where I need to act more refined or educated, I'd probably say "handsome". But I would use both words for the same man.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:15 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,095,392 times
I can look at a guy and think he's cute, but some guys I consider cute after talking to them. They're usually the type of guy that can make me laugh and have a little devilish glint in their eye. A naturally flirty guy.

Mario Lopez has the cute looks and the personality.. at least on tv anyway.

So, for me, sometimes the personality bumps up the cuteness factor.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:07 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Most women who are my peers (read: ages 25-35 or so) do not use the word "handsome". That's a word older women seem to use to refer to younger men.

Cute usually means you find him attractive but he's not exceptionally good-looking. You find him above-average, and so may many other people, but he's not breath-taking. Cute also usually means he has a nice face, but the body may be nothing to talk about.

Gorgeous or hot means he is very, very good-looking and likely has a great body in addition to a beautiful face. Even if he's not your "type" & you're not personally attracted to him, most women will agree that he possesses physical beauty.

There is a whole lot in-between or altogether different from these two broad categories, but I think that paints the general picture.

Old 10-04-2014, 01:25 AM

8 posts, read 11,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
And you will continue to not understand this because every woman has a different criteria for her definition of cute and handsome. What difference does it make if you get called one or the other? Either is better than being called ugly.
You nailed it! You can never understand the difference because the woman thinks differently, Just be thankful because they call you cute rather than ugly.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:20 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
So would you ladies agree that the difference between Chris Pratt in this picture:

And this:

Is the difference between cute and handsome?

Old 10-04-2014, 06:32 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Remember, in any species its always the male that initiates intercourse. So women won't take a man back to bed. Rather, men choose the right women to take to bed.

So the "hot" definition DOES NOT EXIST for men. Its unique for women.
LOL. Dude, wait till it happens to you. I hope it does. Women absolutely will drag you back to their bed, you have to be the right kind of guy, be non-judgmental, open to it, etc. But it totally happens.

Old 10-04-2014, 07:40 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeanneSpencer View Post
You nailed it! You can never understand the difference because the woman thinks differently, Just be thankful because they call you cute rather than ugly.
or fugly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty