Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2014, 07:42 AM

2,802 posts, read 6,432,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post

I'm beginning to wonder if we're being had, and that our collective legs are being pulled. Either that, or someone has a very skewed world view. Imagine looking through the world with that lens--looking at all the "unpretty" women in the world and thinking that they are basically of no worth because they're not hot. WOW!

Yet somehow, the male-female ratio is 50/50, and a lot of women fall short of being smoking hot, but still they manage to get married or have relationships, and mysteriously, the men with them find value in them! How can that be? It doesn't make sense, does it? Don't these men know that their wives/gfs are good for nothing?
Well, they say beggars can't be choosers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 01:53 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
You didn't read the first post, did you? I'm not sure how you could have read it, especially the last two paragraphs, and still make this post. Or maybe there is a reading comprehension issue here? Because nobody who actually read the post and has even a small modicum of reading comprehension would ask the bolded after reading, "I am glad to be a part of this effort..." which was written in plain English on the post.

So you either have a problem with reading comprehension (which can be addressed via a class at your local community college to go along with your philosophy class) or you have an issue with intellectual honesty which is a little more difficult to address, but still doable.

OR you can own up to this one and offer that retraction. Still waiting...
Yes, I read your post, including the last two paragraphs. I re-read it just to be sure. The answer to the question at hand is not there. Not a comprehension issue. At least, not with mine.

You can continue to question my intellect if you wish, but you're only making yourself look foolish. I'll be more than happy to put my educational pedigree against yours if you like. I don't think it has anything to do with the topic so wouldn't mention it otherwise, but you insist on making these references to "community college". Of course, in your mind, that's not an ad hominem... So, from one English major to a Sgt. Major(?), let's try once more. Saying "I'm glad to be a part of this effort..." is not the same as saying that you are happy that your wife is losing a lot of weight. I could be glad to help my wife plan her trip to Europe, yet still not be happy that she's going. So again, I have yet to hear you say that you are personally happy with your wife's weight loss. Just give an honest answer to that. Still waiting...

Old 11-20-2014, 02:24 PM

919 posts, read 848,949 times
The main point we should all remember is iknowftbll's wife is HOT! God-damn. Too bad she is married.
I am pretty sure she will retain her level of hotness no matter what her weight is.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,577 times
iknowftbll loves his wife as a PERSON, and so when she is happy doing something, and is feeling more confident and happier about herself, HE IS HAPPY. Because he loves his wife as a person.

Compare this to the guy who said that if a wife looks "disgusting" (however that may be defined) that "what good is she?" Compare this to the guy who says that "society" (meaning, him) would applaud a man who had a brainless but beautiful wife, as opposed to a fat but smart, funny, sweet wife (in which case, "society" would look down on the man).

This is the opposite of loving his wife as a person. This is treating a wife as a "thing" that is "visually appealing."

Seeing women as something of value outside of their looks is beyond some guys, and grasping that a man can still love his wife, even as her looks change, may also be difficult to comprehend.

I worked with a guy whose wife suffered a terrible cancer in her face. Surgery took away half of her features. She had to wear an eye patch and I think some sort of covering over the parts of her face that were removed. This "disgusting"-looking wife worked part time during the busy season at work one time. This man, whom I had always seen as bit gruff, was doting on his wife. He absolutely adored her, it was clear.

BUT HOW COULD THAT BE?!?!?! She had lost part of her face! She was disfigured beyond reason. Surely she was of no use to him anymore!

Old 11-20-2014, 03:48 PM

919 posts, read 848,949 times
Quote:
This is the opposite of loving his wife as a person. This is treating a wife as a "thing" that is "visually appealing."
This is not a black-and-white dichotomy. Surely your looks are part of you and affect your personality and vice versa. There are people you find naturally ("visually") appealing because you are attracted to them (and would love them given the chance.)

The question is who finds what hot. You are right that "society" tells you that you should find certain looks more appealing that others. But if you are a real man you ignore them and go with your own judgment.

Keeping it PG-13 but I am turned on by a smart funny nice woman with a genuine smile far more than a cold HCB because the former is probably going to be more fun in bed as well. There was a poll in another thread about what you notice about a woman first and my answer was FAT (face, a** and t**s) - in that order. At least half the guys listed face as the first thing. Similarly, look at girlie magazines vs glamor mags and notice what men find attractive is not what "society" promotes as attractive.

Old 11-20-2014, 03:57 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Yes, I read your post, including the last two paragraphs. I re-read it just to be sure. The answer to the question at hand is not there. Not a comprehension issue. At least, not with mine.
Funny, because you seem to be the only one who didn't pick up on the underlying message that I am very excited about my wife's efforts and success. Every poster who commented on that thread picked up on it. A few posters who have read this thread have as well. You seem to be the only exception.

Quote:
You can continue to question my intellect if you wish, but you're only making yourself look foolish.
Maybe I do to you, but I'm not too concerned about that. What you think of me is entirely irrelevant and of no consequence whatsoever.

Quote:
I'll be more than happy to put my educational pedigree against yours if you like. I don't think it has anything to do with the topic so wouldn't mention it otherwise, but you insist on making these references to "community college". Of course, in your mind, that's not an ad hominem...
Recommending community college is now an ad hominem attack? Laughable. It's a recommendation based on an observation. Is my observation wrong? Maybe. Rather than prove it so, you've affirmed it throughout this discussion, so take from that what you will.

Quote:
So, from one English major to a Sgt. Major(?), let's try once more. Saying "I'm glad to be a part of this effort..." is not the same as saying that you are happy that your wife is losing a lot of weight. I could be glad to help my wife plan her trip to Europe, yet still not be happy that she's going. So again, I have yet to hear you say that you are personally happy with your wife's weight loss. Just give an honest answer to that. Still waiting...
See above. You're the only person missing it. If I really have to spell it out for you, then you truly do have an issue with reading comprehension. You can have a paragraph about how big the universe is without actually saying "the universe is big." In fact, identifying the overall theme and intent in a paragraph is a skill I learned in junior high. You seem to be lacking in this skill, English major or not. Just because you were an English major does not necessarily mean you were good at reading comprehension. (One condition does not necessarily automatically equate to another. You'll learn this when you get to that philosophy class.)

Old 11-20-2014, 05:30 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
This is not a black-and-white dichotomy. Surely your looks are part of you and affect your personality and vice versa. There are people you find naturally ("visually") appealing because you are attracted to them (and would love them given the chance.)
Of course. I know that looks play a factor with all of us, but looks fade and change, and surely if you fall in love with someone, you fall in love with the personality, brains and other internal things too. But if there is not enough regard and affection for the person inside, then what else are they but a visually pleasing "thing"? If their personality, brains, kindness, if all of that is useless without the beauty, then the beauty is all they are good for. At least it seems that way to some people.

Quote:
The question is who finds what hot. You are right that "society" tells you that you should find certain looks more appealing that others. But if you are a real man you ignore them and go with your own judgment.
Very true, and if you are a grown-up man you also realize that other people's tastes are their own, and there's nothing wrong with them for having them.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfa-ish View Post
The main point we should all remember is iknowftbll's wife is HOT! God-damn. Too bad she is married.
I am pretty sure she will retain her level of hotness no matter what her weight is.
I almost overlooked this post. Thanks for the kind words, for keeping our focus on what's important, and for the laugh!

Old 11-20-2014, 08:49 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,076 times
Quote:
Funny, because you seem to be the only one who didn't pick up on the underlying message that I am very excited about my wife's efforts and success. Every poster who commented on that thread picked up on it. A few posters who have read this thread have as well. You seem to be the only exception.
I'm not looking for an "underlying message". I'm looking for a direct, honest answer to the question at hand. You may very well be excited about your wife's efforts and her success. Other posters may see that as well. That doesn't answer the question.
Quote:
See above. You're the only person missing it. If I really have to spell it out for you, then you truly do have an issue with reading comprehension. You can have a paragraph about how big the universe is without actually saying "the universe is big." In fact, identifying the overall theme and intent in a paragraph is a skill I learned in junior high. You seem to be lacking in this skill, English major or not. Just because you were an English major does not necessarily mean you were good at reading comprehension. (One condition does not necessarily automatically equate to another. You'll learn this when you get to that philosophy class.)
I'm not missing anything. I've made this very easy. I've posed to you a simple question, and asked for an honest answer. So once again I'll say: I've yet to hear you say that you are personally happy with your wife's weight loss. Just give an honest answer to that. Still waiting...

Old 11-20-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
I'm not missing anything.

Yeah, you really are. Everyone else gets it, but you don't. I guess that makes you special, doesn't it?

If I were a teacher in this "no child left behind" day and age, I may dumb it down to a "yes" or "no" answer. But since you want to talk academic pedigrees, I think it's fair to let you get it or not get it on your own. It looks like you don't get it. Sorry, but you brought your academics into it, so I think it's fair to hold you accountable for understanding the central them and purpose of a relatively short post. But it's not too late. You may think my frequent reference to community college is meant as a slight, but it really is a recommendation. When does the next semester start? January? I'm sure it's not too late to get in.

Last edited by iknowftbll; 11-20-2014 at 09:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty