Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2014, 07:33 AM

1,562 posts, read 1,493,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post

Yeah, you really are. Everyone else gets it, but you don't. I guess that makes you special, doesn't it?

If I were a teacher in this "no child left behind" day and age, I may dumb it down to a "yes" or "no" answer. But since you want to talk academic pedigrees, I think it's fair to let you get it or not get it on your own. It looks like you don't get it. Sorry, but you brought your academics into it, so I think it's fair to hold you accountable for understanding the central them and purpose of a relatively short post. But it's not too late. You may think my frequent reference to community college is meant as a slight, but it really is a recommendation. When does the next semester start? January? I'm sure it's not too late to get in.
Your silence on the matter speaks volumes. You've been given multiple opportunities to answer a simple, direct question. Your refusal to do so gives us our answer. So no, I will offer no retraction. I stand by my statement. In fact, I'm more convinced of it's accuracy now than before. It is clear that you are less than thrilled with your wife's weight loss. I think that's tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 11:42 AM

1,034 posts, read 1,091,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mysterious Benefactor View Post
Your silence on the matter speaks volumes.
Everybody else has no problem getting his intent, except you. He's explained it, but you refuse to get it, either because you don't want to, or because it's beyond your capability to understand.

He is capable of loving his wife as a person, not just a pretty "something" which checks off all the right "this is pretty to me" boxes. So it's not a stretch to imagine that because he loves HER, he will see her as beautiful, as the years pass and as she changes (as we all must). Furthermore, he is motivated to expand his horizons, and to objectively see her new outside appearance as beautiful. This is something that most intelligent people are capable of doing, if the motivation and love are there.

It's not a rare phenomenon, that love "makes" a person beautiful to the ones who love them. There are actually people out there who view their spouse as more than just a pretty accessory.

Old 11-21-2014, 11:44 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,011,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elvira310 View Post
Everybody else has no problem getting his intent, except you. He's explained it, but you refuse to get it, either because you don't want to, or because it's beyond your capability to understand.

He is capable of loving his wife as a person, not just a pretty "something" which checks off all the right "this is pretty to me" boxes. So it's not a stretch to imagine that because he loves HER, he will see her as beautiful, as the years pass and as she changes (as we all must). Furthermore, he is motivated to expand his horizons, and to objectively see her new outside appearance as beautiful. This is something that most intelligent people are capable of doing, if the motivation and love are there.

It's not a rare phenomenon, that love "makes" a person beautiful to the ones who love them. There are actually people out there who view their spouse as more than just a pretty accessory.
Well said. Thank you!

Old 11-23-2014, 01:56 PM

Here's a good read:

Do Men Hate Fat Women? | Single Minded Women

From the article:

"Sadly, society also has it in for men who may not mind dating chubby women. In a study conducted at the University of Liverpool in England, a man photographed with a heavyset woman was rated 22 percent more negatively (including be called “a loserâ€) than when the same man is pictured with a svelte date by his side."

I would love to read that study. If I am able to find it I will post a link to it.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,064,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Here's a good read:

Do Men Hate Fat Women? | Single Minded Women

From the article:

"Sadly, society also has it in for men who may not mind dating chubby women. In a study conducted at the University of Liverpool in England, a man photographed with a heavyset woman was rated 22 percent more negatively (including be called “a loserâ€) than when the same man is pictured with a svelte date by his side."

I would love to read that study. If I am able to find it I will post a link to it.
See that's just sad. The fact that someone is a "loser" based on their dating preferences speaks volumes about the people who share that opinion more than it does about the men dating bigger women. I *prefer* smaller women but I won't lie and say there weren't some larger girls that I thought were attractive. Yes I have dated them, too. But not because I felt desperate, but because I think women can be beautiful in many sizes.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,451,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
See that's just sad. The fact that someone is a "loser" based on their dating preferences speaks volumes about the people who share that opinion more than it does about the men dating bigger women. I *prefer* smaller women but I won't lie and say there weren't some larger girls that I thought were attractive. Yes I have dated them, too. But not because I felt desperate, but because I think women can be beautiful in many sizes.
Let,s not use the term 'fat'... instead let's use the medical terms of 'average', 'overweight', 'obese', and 'morbidly obese'
Given the laws of thermodynamics, ignoring the psychological issues, excessive bulk is a personal choice.

There is a trend (at least in Boston), but I am now in the Far East, (where most of same trends apply)....
If you are bigger than size two, and don't have multiple advanced degrees, (then you are not desirable by anyone decent), unless you are a blue-collar or white trash rich 'loser', and want an Asian slave, which is lower than anything I can mention, but then I can have a good laugh.

Get it? JMHO

Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM

2,054 posts, read 2,570,207 times
In my case, I married a woman with a good build and we were similar size. 19 years and 2 babies later, she's much more out of shape than I am. Is this my fault because i stay active or have I not taken the reigns enough in our relationship to help out around the house? I hope I've helped her raising these kids. Dropping them off at school, doing my part at dinner time, etc. But also, she's just never cared for physical fitness. Never been a priority. I am trying to stress to her how much it should matter to her for her health and self esteem, but we just fall out.

we have had some marriage trouble too. various things, but i'm committed to her. And committed to her getting in shape. After our 2nd child was born, she stayed home for three years, and I got her a baby jogger and we still had a gym membership. She just didn't have the motivation. I don't think she was depressed really, just unwilling.

It comes down to her finding the motivation.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashpelham View Post
In my case, I married a woman with a good build and we were similar size. 19 years and 2 babies later, she's much more out of shape than I am. Is this my fault because i stay active or have I not taken the reigns enough in our relationship to help out around the house? I hope I've helped her raising these kids. Dropping them off at school, doing my part at dinner time, etc. But also, she's just never cared for physical fitness. Never been a priority. I am trying to stress to her how much it should matter to her for her health and self esteem, but we just fall out.

we have had some marriage trouble too. various things, but i'm committed to her. And committed to her getting in shape. After our 2nd child was born, she stayed home for three years, and I got her a baby jogger and we still had a gym membership. She just didn't have the motivation. I don't think she was depressed really, just unwilling.

It comes down to her finding the motivation.
Interesting post. You make a very good point that it is all about her finding the motivation and doing for herself. "Encouraging" her may be taken as "pressuring" or "nagging" so you absolutely have to tread lightly.

My wife wanted to lose weight for a long time and for a long time wanted me to support her efforts. The problem was I couldn't support efforts that didn't exist. She spun her wheels with her efforts for a while and I spun my wheels supporting her. She'd want me to help keep her honest, but if I did it led to a fight. She'd want me to encourage her to workout, but when I did she wasn't in the mood. The problem with this relationship was she put the onus on her weight loss on me.

Once that changed she gradually began to make some progress. It is VITAL someone takes ownership for his or her own weight loss efforts. I refused to nag her about it, and when I did what she wanted and was greeted with unresponsiveness I gave up. Once I figured she was serious it was easy to support her because she was doing it for herself.

You are in a tricky situation, and I wish you the best of luck. It seems your goal should be to somehow get your wife to see she should do this for herself. Maybe in doing so it will fix some of the other problems in your marriage you mentioned. If you are pursuing something together it will bring you closer. It did for my wife and me.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,064,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Let,s not use the term 'fat'... instead let's use the medical terms of 'average', 'overweight', 'obese', and 'morbidly obese'
Given the laws of thermodynamics, ignoring the psychological issues, excessive bulk is a personal choice.

There is a trend (at least in Boston), but I am now in the Far East, (where most of same trends apply)....
If you are bigger than size two, and don't have multiple advanced degrees, (then you are not desirable by anyone decent), unless you are a blue-collar or white trash rich 'loser', and want an Asian slave, which is lower than anything I can mention, but then I can have a good laugh.

Get it? JMHO
I didn't use the term fat in my post.

Old 11-28-2014, 10:04 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,096,344 times
who are you kidding? of course society does. Different people may think differently, but in the whole it's looked down upon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty