Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 09:17 PM

3,670 posts, read 7,174,845 times

Advertisements

they still have awesome outerwear
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2014, 09:42 PM

781 posts, read 746,260 times
I stopped with the AE in my mid 20's. I did have some A&F in HS, but stopped after that. I never worse Hollister, doesn't it run super small?

Old 12-26-2014, 11:00 PM

732 posts, read 970,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYinCA2014 View Post
I stopped with the AE in my mid 20's. I did have some A&F in HS, but stopped after that. I never worse Hollister, doesn't it run super small?
I can't remember what the largest sizes were when I bought some clothes from Hollister, but I have several pairs of Hollister jeans in men's size 30 waist and a Hollister hoodie in I think size small that I bought about 7 or more years ago, before I found out Hollister is marketed to high school & younger teenagers. I haven't worn them since because I'm in my 40s (they were on sale, but what a waste of money they were since I didn't get to wear them long at all, and some of the jeans I didn't wear at all because I have too many of various brands).

When I found out Hollister brand clothes are marketed to kids, I was also wearing some A&F, Aeropostal and Hurley clothes which I also haven't worn since.

I still wear H&M and a few Hyp brand clothes I guess could be marketed to kids, but at least they don't have obvious brand labels on them.

I've been afraid to ask about Pacific Sun Bullhead jeans and Van's clothing & shoes which I'm aware skater kids wear and I still wear, but I've seen other adults beside myself wearing Van's brand. I could easily remove the labels & stitching on the jeans.

Some other popular brands I wear include 7 For All Mankind, Rock & Republic, Diesel, DKNY. Are they okay for adults to wear?

My body's slim (stunted growth, I guess, since I'm still the same height & build as when I was in my sophomore year of high school), so I can't wear most regular fit clothes without them looking on the baggy side.

Old 12-26-2014, 11:36 PM

412 posts, read 547,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rdGen SFan View Post
I can't remember what the largest sizes were when I bought some clothes from Hollister, but I have several pairs of Hollister jeans in men's size 30 waist and a Hollister hoodie in I think size small that I bought about 7 or more years ago, before I found out Hollister is marketed to high school & younger teenagers. I haven't worn them since because I'm in my 40s (they were on sale, but what a waste of money they were since I didn't get to wear them long at all, and some of the jeans I didn't wear at all because I have too many of various brands).

When I found out Hollister brand clothes are marketed to kids, I was also wearing some A&F, Aeropostal and Hurley clothes which I also haven't worn since.

I still wear H&M and a few Hyp brand clothes I guess could be marketed to kids, but at least they don't have obvious brand labels on them.

I've been afraid to ask about Pacific Sun Bullhead jeans and Van's clothing & shoes which I'm aware skater kids wear and I still wear, but I've seen other adults beside myself wearing Van's brand. I could easily remove the labels & stitching on the jeans.

Some other popular brands I wear include 7 For All Mankind, Rock & Republic, Diesel, DKNY. Are they okay for adults to wear?

My body's slim (stunted growth, I guess, since I'm still the same height & build as when I was in my sophomore year of high school), so I can't wear most regular fit clothes without them looking on the baggy side.
I really don't know about those brands, I just kind of go anywhere that has something that I'm looking for, regardless of where it is, but I do know plenty of people that like them.

I see people of all ages in H&M, less so F21. H&M seems to market to everyone.

You should shop where you think the clothes are comfortable for your body.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink90 View Post
I really don't know about those brands, I just kind of go anywhere that has something that I'm looking for, regardless of where it is, but I do know plenty of people that like them.

I see people of all ages in H&M, less so F21. H&M seems to market to everyone.

You should shop where you think the clothes are comfortable for your body.
I think so, too, but yet I'd rather try to avoid getting remarks to some extent.

That's good to hear about H&M. My H&M sliq jeans fit me the best out of all the jeans I've ever owned, I'd hate to stop wearing them.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Oops, I forgot I actually did grow a couple of inches in height for a few years after then and had to get some slightly longer inseamed pants/jeans prior to my early 20s.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 AM

412 posts, read 547,184 times
Quote:
I think so, too, but yet I'd rather try to avoid getting remarks to some extent.

That's good to hear about H&M. My H&M sliq jeans fit me the best out of all the jeans I've ever owned, I'd hate to stop wearing them.
I think if you just get basic clothes and wear them according to your body/style, I don't see how anyone would really notice to make a remark. That goes for any store really. I think it's more of how you shop/what you get at these stores, even A&F. Some people want a certain image when they shop at some stores vs others shopping for quality or a certain item in a store.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:14 AM

2,633 posts, read 4,062,561 times
Quote:
I thought they were for adults to wear? These clothes are typically out of the price point of the average teenager. (By average, I mean not using Mom/Dad's money or using their own entire paycheck just to afford it). Some adults may not like the garish "R"s but others may not care.

I have clothing and jeans from DKNY and Seven For All Mankind...and I can still fit into junior brands such as LEI and Aeropostale. I haven't grown much since my high school days (erm, upward that is), but wear what you like. If the shoe fits... .

Old 12-27-2014, 10:38 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,372,370 times
I'd wear them if they were in good shape at the thrift shop and looked good on me! What do they look like?

Old 12-27-2014, 11:07 AM

1,921 posts, read 1,744,869 times
Given the marketing strategy they chose to disclose a couple years ago regarding their so-called "exclusivity", I hope people no longer wear A&F or Hollister. The former CEO is a narcissistic bully and expects his brand to be worn by good-looking skinny girls/guys only. This is ridiculous. He made his own bed when he disclosed this marketing strategy. He excluded a large majority of potential buyers by making these over the top offensive statements.

I genuinely hope people no longer buy a brand which promotes bullying and discrimination based on physical attributes.

These brands are so 2000s anyway. The designs are not evolving at all. They're the same as those back in 2006. The preppy style is dead so is A&F. Their stores in Europe aren't that popular because get over the "hype" very quickly and realize this brand is no better than American Apparel. I'd only wear A&F/Hollister clothes as "lounging" clothes at home as they're less tacky than VS. Their sweatpants and hoodies are good for the winter time when you wanna chill at home. However, I'd never go out wearing an A&F outfit.

Oddly enough, these stores train their "models" to be actual jerks. I dated two guys who worked there once and both of them were self-absorbed pratts. Coincidence? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty