Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:53 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
As a 46-year-old woman, I believe it is unreasonable to expect ALL women who qualify for mother of the bride age to go bare-legged at a wedding.

Find some very sheer hose. It's no big deal.
I agree completely. Do what makes you feel comfortable. I love the toeless nylons, you can wear sandals and no one knows the difference.

If I say so myself I always look good at formal events, I do the trendy age appropriate style. I wear nylons even a slip! I always feel a bit sexy. (Actually drives me crazy to see women wear dresses without a slip, when they walk the dress always goes between their legs, does not look good to me--just my opinion.)

Like these--you find them in regular department stores

http://www.loehmanns.com/product/hos...utm_medium=cpc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 06:32 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
nude nylons are out of fashion, but sheer colored hose are not. Wear a solid toe shoe and a pair of very sheer colored hose in a color that matches or complements the dress.
This! No open toe!

Old 02-21-2015, 06:34 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,577,283 times
Quote:
As a 46-year-old woman, I believe it is unreasonable to expect ALL women who qualify for mother of the bride age to go bare-legged at a wedding.

Kayanne, don't worry about spray tanning or camouflage of any kind. There's nothing wrong with very sheer nose with a peep toe shoe at a wedding. You will look GREAT and appropriate.

It is smart to consider the groom's mom's style of dress as the two of you will be in lots of full length photos together. You also will very much be the center of attention at certain times.

Find some very sheer hose. It's no big deal.
This, but closed toe.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:38 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
nude nylons are out of fashion, but sheer colored hose are not. Wear a solid toe shoe and a pair of very sheer colored hose in a color that matches or complements the dress.
Another vote for this. Second choice is very sheer nude hose. Closed-toe shoes only, no peep-toes.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:44 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Fine, closed-toe, whatever.

If sheer hose were out of style, they wouldn't still make them.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:45 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The thread about wearing nylons with sandals has me wondering......

For other ladies like me, whose legs just really don't look good bare with a dress (for me, it's varicose veins, but it could be various reasons), what do you do?

In the other thread, the majority feel that wearing nude nylons is completely out of fashion. And I'll admit they aren't comfortable, especially in the summer. So I generally either wear pants or a maxi dress in the summer when I'm out in public.

Here's my particular dilemma. My husband's daughter is getting married this summer (so I am step-mom of the bride). I feel I should not wear a floor-length dress, even on the casual side, since Mother of the Bride will be in knee-length. And I definitely would not wear pants to this wedding. I don't tan well, either in the sun or in a tanning booth (and of course that's not healthy). I tried the spray-on tan (done at a salon) a couple times, but that doesn't look great on me.

I think I'll just wear nylons, maybe with a peep toe shoe, and look a bit out of fashion. But I think that will look better than bare, pasty, vein-ridden legs.

What do y'all do?
I wear nylons with skirts/dresses because I usually wear pants. Nude nylons actually balance out my otherwise pastey white legs to match the skintone of my forearms chest and face.

I recently bought a pair of Berkshire Platimun sheer hose. They are very fashionable. I had imagined them complementing a gray dress I had. They were an almost-transparent type of sheer with an almost not there sparkly sheen that did more to accentuate the fact my legs are pastey white than doing anything at all for the grayness of the dress. The texture and consistency were not appropriate for me. They did not compliment me.

Annual seasonal trends are always the latest thing, but if they do nothing for you then they are really nothing for you, lol. Trends come and go, Fashion has a primary role, which is to always compliment you. Complimenting comes first, then trend.

If you are wearing a long gown then you could go bare. Maybe use a sunless tanner if skintone is an issue and a light pair of cheap bike shorts (white and black are easy to find - anything beige-ish not so easy) with a nice pedicure are all you need. If you want a pantyhose, any normal weight that complements the skintone on your upper body would work. Your legs will not be noticed as much by anyone as your dress, face, hair and demeanor.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:23 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
Quote:
Fine, closed-toe, whatever.

If sheer hose were out of style, they wouldn't still make them.
"They" still make plenty of things that are out of style. Sweatshirts with kitten appliques, Hush Puppies shoes, pleated front pants, Ed Hardy shirts, mom jeans, Sansabelt pants, etc. etc. etc.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:30 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
"They" still make plenty of things that are out of style. Sweatshirts with kitten appliques, Hush Puppies shoes, pleated front pants, Ed Hardy shirts, mom jeans, Sansabelt pants, etc. etc. etc.
Fortunately, I doubt the OP plans to wear any of those.

Old 02-21-2015, 07:51 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boogie'smom View Post
I would start experimenting with light toned, professionally done spray tans a few weeks before the wedding. Tell the technician what you want. You don't need to look like you have a sun tan, you just want consistent color and coverage all over.

You also have time to experiment with some of the leg makeup that you do yourself. Joan Rivers makes a good one. You need to practice to get the right look. It isn't easy. I would start now.

Get a great pedicure and wear a simple dress.

Have you considered getting your veins removed? There are some new procedures that give great results.
Hmmmm....spray tans cost around $25 where I am and only last 5 days so I'm not going to experiment with multiple ones....How long does the leg makeup last - until your next shower? I'd really rather pay $15 for a really nice pair of hose that don't look like grocery store brands. The kids under 35 just never wore hose so they can't even imagine it...

Old 02-21-2015, 07:56 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Guess what. You get to decide what goes on your body. Wear your nude hose if you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty