Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:34 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times

Advertisements

flip flops and leather chaps...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM

2,159 posts, read 1,663,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I can't believe some of you people telling her to get surgery, pay for spray on tan(s) (which she said doesn't work), etc. - WEAR nude color pantyhose, and they are FINE w/peep toe shoes (just don't wear the reinforced toe pantyhose) - jeez people, it's only been the last several yrs. that people stopped w/the pantyhose - they will be back! EVERYTHING comes back in style.
I believe the OP asked what we did as an option. I have psoriasis. I have been using leg makeup since the 70's. It takes some practice. After the children were born, I had varicose veins. I had them removed. The newer procedures are much less invasive.

Having a spray tan look good requires a good tech and some prep before you go. I have had good results. I would want to try it a few times before the big day if I wasn't already familiar with the results. Choose a light color, close to your natural tone, not a tan.

Honestly, I think bare legs look terrible with dress clothes unless you have great legs that are as dressed as your face. I wear tights in the winter, and would likely wear expensive, matte nude pantyhose with closed shoes in the situation described.

Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
I had no idea anyone found it unthinkable that a woman could wear nylons in the summer. It's the men in their suits and ties that I always wonder about! I don't love pantyhose (especially the binding waistband and the feeling that something just isn't lined up right!) but I never found them stifling hot.
I too wonder why women whine about wearing pantyhose with a dress, when men that attend these events are trussed up in hot suits. I too live in the San Antonio area and would wear hose if required.

Get yourself some really nice hosiery - nothing cheap.

Wolford Online Shop > Bestsellers

Old 02-22-2015, 06:10 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
Why would she (or anyone else) want to wear a pair of cheap bike shorts under a dress?
If it - the dress - is not a body glove that reveals every crease, and you had a pair of thighs that actually touch each other, and may graze each other creating friction as you walked, you might appreciate some material as a buffer. Cheap bike shorts do the trick. They are thin, and form fitting thereby not creating bulk, IF she wanted to go bare legged and maybe use makeup instead (tanner) for any areas she is worrying about being seen.

I think she is going with closed toe pantyhose and closed shoes though. Maybe a tea length dress....

Old 02-22-2015, 07:24 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
I too wonder why women whine about wearing pantyhose with a dress, when men that attend these events are trussed up in hot suits. I too live in the San Antonio area and would wear hose if required.

Get yourself some really nice hosiery - nothing cheap.

Wolford Online Shop > Bestsellers
I don't think you need to super splurge if you wear them rarely. I have been quite happy with the tights i have purchased from Silkies.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 PM

342 posts, read 437,915 times
My vote here for Wolford. You will never look bad, cheep or out of fashion in their hosiery. You have to pick a right style, sheerness and color. If you do, your legs will look beautiful.It might to take a few attempts to fund the right one.It also depends on your dress(outfit) and shoes.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:15 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I don't think you need to super splurge if you wear them rarely. I have been quite happy with the tights i have purchased from Silkies.
Tights? Aren't those really thick? She's going to a wedding. You want to look sheer, sparkling and beautiful.

Old 02-22-2015, 09:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Tights? Aren't those really thick? She's going to a wedding. You want to look sheer, sparkling and beautiful.
I use the words interchangably. I wear sheer patterned hose mostly. .

Sheer nudes do not come in my shade so i abstain. The brand i reccomended does sheers to opaques. And has a good amount of lighter colors. Not so much for darker black women.

Old 02-23-2015, 12:31 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,863,876 times
I haven't read all the pages, but if no one has suggested it yet, try some gradual self tanner, the kind that's mixed into a lotion. Shave your legs and apply the lotion every other day, and see if you like it. After you use it a while, you'll notice which parts of your legs get darker, and you can put some regular lotion on before the tanning lotion in those spots, so they don't take as much color. The parts that usually get darker are just above the knees, on the inside of the leg, and around the feet. Don't use regular sunless tanner, but the gradual kind. I use Nivea because it smells better than the others, even though it doesn't smell wonderful either.

If the gradual tanner works for you, then on the day of the event, all you need to do is put some shimmery lotion on your legs and they'll look great.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:49 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,738,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Well, I returned to wearing hose. Tried the "leg makeup" and thought it was crap. But I don't like white'ish legs and I simply could not get used to baring mine. But I don't wear dresses or skirts very often, anyway (except in summer - and I suntan mine).
I dont wear dresses much but used to mix some sun shimmer makeup with moisturister and it went on good on legs...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty