Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,181,381 times

Advertisements

I was one of the ones in the other post warning against hose and sandals. HOWEVER, I understand your dilemma and I agree. I say NUDE hose (NOT colored the same as the dress - nude is MORE stylish than colors) and CLOSED toe shoes. OR those toeless stockings with a peep toe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
"They" still make plenty of things that are out of style. Sweatshirts with kitten appliques, Hush Puppies shoes, pleated front pants, Ed Hardy shirts, mom jeans, Sansabelt pants, etc. etc. etc.
BWAHAHAHAHA! This LITERALLY made me LOL! I'm going to think of you the next time I see a kitten sweatshirt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:26 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
I would not personally want to wear hose in the summer. But if you are going to be more comfortable that way, then it will be fine with closed toe shoes. Or if you want to wear sandals, getting the toeless hose others have mentioned - NOT "sandal foot" as that still looks bad, but the ones that stop partway down your foot and then hook over your toes.

And I wanted to say that you are very thoughtful to want to dress in a way that is consistent with what your stepdaughter's mom is wearing - I'm sure your stepdaughter is grateful she isn't dealing with family drama!

Old 02-21-2015, 09:19 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,363,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I think I'll just wear nylons, maybe with a peep toe shoe, and look a bit out of fashion. But I think that will look better than bare, pasty, vein-ridden legs.

What do y'all do?

You're going to wear nylons or anything under a skirt/dress in the summer? Where do you live, Nome?

I dunno, I'd go with the veiny legs or a skirt right below the knee. I was, for a time, particularly sensitive about redness/bumps on my arms and going to nice places with sleeveless shirts/dresses. I tried various things, nothing worked to get rid of it or hide it, so I just stopped caring.

Quite frankly, if you don't care about it, no one else will care or comment. They're only going to be weird if you're drawing attention to it. I guess that goes for if you wear nylons with sandals too. I think it's a hipster thing to do, but if someone happened to be wearing them to a wedding I was also attending I certainly wouldn't say anything or care. If someone is wearing nylons and looks like they're dying from the heat I'd probably say "well what did you think was going to happen?"

Do what you think will be most comfortable.

Old 02-21-2015, 09:55 PM

607 posts, read 1,402,745 times
Some of what you decide to wear depends on where the wedding is taking place, what part of the country, what time of day, the formality level, etc.
What about a dressy palazzo with matching top and really play up your jewelry and hair?

Old 02-22-2015, 01:16 AM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
I attended a wedding in late May about two years ago. I wore a pretty dress but I wore sheer hose (or was it Spanx? I can't remember) under the dress -- and peep-toed sandals.

Stylish I may not be, but I usually have ugly red scratches on my pasty white skinny legs -- my legs scratch easily, and the peep toes? I have a very difficult time finding "nice" shoes that fit my very strangely shaped, ugly feet. All of my nicer shoes need a strap to stay on, and I still struggled to keep them on. They kept wanting to fall off. Buying any shoes other than sneakers is a nightmare for me.

It was a somewhat chilly, very windy day (the wedding was outdoors). Believe me, wearing hose was not too warm. I also wore my pretty dress, and my hair was styled nicely, and I had a nice pedi-mani. I looked all right. (although I just looked at some photos of the event and I now realize I was the only one not wearing a dark dress ).

So do what makes you comfortable. As long as you wear a pretty dress and are nicely groomed, I don't think most people would care. Everyone will be looking at the bride anyway. If they really care about the stupid hose, who cares??? This isn't high school.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:06 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,610,794 times
Why do u have to wear sandals? Or open toe? Is it required by the wedding party?

I wouldn't wear either, and find a comfortable pair of closed toe shoes that matched whatever I was wearing.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:25 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times
I suggest you wear a length of dress that looks best on you, OP. It's considered quite appropriate for the bride's family to wear floor length dresses. I'm sure plenty of the guests will be wearing them also, since it sounds like a formal wedding. It might be a better idea too because I live in TX also and I know that pantyhose, especially in the summer, suffocates your legs. A flowing dress won't make your legs (or you) feel nearly as hot. David's Bridal has many styles available for reasonable prices in all colors of the rainbow. Just know that no matter what you wear, it's the support you're showing by your presence at the wedding that is most important.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I would not personally want to wear hose in the summer. But if you are going to be more comfortable that way, then it will be fine with closed toe shoes. Or if you want to wear sandals, getting the toeless hose others have mentioned - NOT "sandal foot" as that still looks bad, but the ones that stop partway down your foot and then hook over your toes.

And I wanted to say that you are very thoughtful to want to dress in a way that is consistent with what your stepdaughter's mom is wearing - I'm sure your stepdaughter is grateful she isn't dealing with family drama!
Toeless hose are a great idea...but only when they work. I've found they never stop at the right place and tend to move around. How does that look any better than your grandma wearing knee highs with a dress?! Also, it can be pretty obvious you're wearing them unless you have just the right color - if you're very pale, it's definitely hard to find! Hey - if i had a tan complexion this wouldn't even be an issue!

Old 02-22-2015, 07:53 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Fine, closed-toe, whatever.

If sheer hose were out of style, they wouldn't still make them.
If only it weren't possible to buy things that are out of style...it would save us all so much trouble.

I believe, although not "in style," sheer hose are worn at many ultra-conservative business places.

But hey, I just saw a bunch of pictures of Kate Middleton wearing sheer, no-color hose with knee-length dresses, so perhaps they are back in style. She was wearing close-toed shoes.

Last edited by Mnseca; 02-22-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 02-22-2015, 08:03 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,953,306 times
I wore hose my entire working life. I lived in D.C. for many years and if you've never, you have no idea of how swampy that city can be in the dog days. I owned no car and had to rely on public transportation. Yes, it was hot. Very. But no one, well, maybe Ladies of the Evening, but otherwise, no one walked about bare-legged unless it was at a picnic in shorts or playing tennis. In a professional atmosphere, we ALL wore hose. And while it was plenty hot on the way to and the way from, once at the destination - Work/Home, there was air conditioning or the option of taking off the hose. On many days, depending on whether or not the boss was menopausal, long underwear over the hose would have seemed appropriate!

Some women have a very limited view of what it will be like down-range. The perspective of age will make it apparent that we don't all look alike and some of us can't imagine appearing in public without make-up on our faces or hose on our legs. Wear what looks right on you and let the critics decide for themselves what they should wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty