Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2015, 01:16 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,215,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
I do compliment men on what they wear. Not usually strange men, however. Since even just friendliness is sometimes misconstrued as flirtation, I usually choose not to enter through that door. But, men I know? Sure! I've complimented my son's roommate on his socks, even. I don't say it in a salacious way, though... no winks or raised eyebrows. I just say it like a normal human who has a deep appreciation for socks.
I some don't mind flirtation from strangers, as long as you can keep it in bounds and not overdo it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 02:07 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
Lets say a guy walks up to you at the park and asks "You have nice shoulders, whats your workout routine like ?"

Is that a particularly offensive.
The logic is off here.

Why would a man ask a woman about her workout routine? It reveals his motives.

MAYBE if he was studying to be a personal trainer and he wanted to be sure he was implementing that routine with his female clients.

But the simplest explanation is usually the best.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:39 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,790,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
The logic is off here.

MAYBE if he was studying to be a personal trainer and he wanted to be sure he was implementing that routine with his female clients.

I personally wouldn't care what the "motive" was. It wouldn't offend me to be asked the question. Just because someone has a hidden agenda doesn't mean that I'd have to respond to it. I'd be willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt because it's not a rude question.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:49 PM

Quote:
I personally wouldn't care what the "motive" was. It wouldn't offend me to be asked the question. Just because someone has a hidden agenda doesn't mean that I'd have to respond to it. I'd be willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt because it's not a rude question.
While that SOUNDS nice and breezy, motive is what gives moral value to a person's actions.

It's the difference between murder and self-defense.

Asking about your "workout routine" when he's not actually interested in your workout routine is just disingenuous.

So, yeah, their motive matters a heck of a lot.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:51 PM

28,681 posts, read 18,806,457 times
Quote:
The logic is off here.

I suspect a woman would not be offended to hear "You have nice shoulders, what's your workout routine" because if a woman has "nice shoulders"--well-built deltoids--it's because she worked hard at it, and few people are offended by an acknowledgement of what they have achieved through hard work.

Quote:
Asking about your "workout routine" when he's not actually interested in your workout routine is just disingenuous.
But he might, indeed, be interested in how she made such gains...whereas saying "oooh big boobs" can't be given the benefit of the doubt.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:57 PM

How do you know he's not interested in the woman's workout routine? Because you aren't? If someone comes up to me and says, "I like your butt," I could be offended because it's generally perceived as rude to comment on someone's butt. Or I could consider that they might just be a crazy person and ignore them. But for a man to say, "You have nice shoulders. What's your workout routine?" it's not a rude question. He might very well be interested in my workout routine. Or he might not be. But it's MY choice as to how I respond to it. I'd choose to give the benefit of the doubt. His moral values aren't my concern.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:58 PM

Quote:

His moral values aren't my concern.
Not at first, anyway.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
But he might, indeed, be interested in how she made such gains...
If he is, great. If it's just a pick-up ploy,

Old 08-01-2015, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Not at first, anyway.
Not really. His moral values are none of my concern. If I feel he's entering into rude territory, I cease communication. But if he just complimented my shoulders and asked about my workout routine, it would not be a problem for me. I would say, "Thank you." And I would describe my workout routine with a smile.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 PM

Quote:

If I feel he's entering into rude territory, I cease communication.
... which is a moral judgment.

That's all I'm saying. It's not rocket science. It's a constant, sometimes subconscious process when you're meeting people.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty