Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 PM

1,762 posts, read 2,102,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
But what do you need them for? I'm genuinely trying to understand this phenomenon.
Need what any type of scarves or just infinity scarves? I use scarves to keep me warm in the fall and winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 03:22 PM

29,768 posts, read 34,491,950 times
I have different kinds of scarves for different reasons. I'm wearing a black and grey infinity scarf today (horrors!) because it adds a little punch to my plain green boatneck shirt. I've got other scarves that I wear in the winter to keep the draft from coming through the neck of my coat.

I don't understand why this is such a problem. People wear all kinds of things to express themselves and make a statement. Why wear a baseball cap backwards when the whole point is that the brim keeps the sun out of your eyes? Why wear cowboy boots when you've never even ridden a horse? What, should we all be assigned unisex jumpsuits so that everyone can be dressed the same?

Old 09-23-2015, 03:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,247,576 times
Quote:
LOL! If it were at least a sweater or hoodie with the arms tied around the neck (which has also been a fashion off and on), okay. Functional!
Preppie and pretentious.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:37 PM

3,127 posts, read 5,072,555 times
Don't knock infinity scarves until you try them. I'm not a fashionista so wouldn't have bought on on my own. However I received one as a gift. Once I wore it I was hooked. It is much better than a traditional scarf at keeping your neck warm under your coat in the winter without having to fuss it into place. Mine is black and white so I can wear it with practically anything. Also it is easier to carry if you take it off as the ends don't trail.

Old 09-23-2015, 05:07 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
Quote:
Again, it was historically an easy way to carry your wealth with you. Still waiting for a similarly plausible explanation for the fifty yards of dry goods hanging around the neck like the proverbial albatross.
Yards and yards of cloth have a great historical significance - if one is trekking across a desert, for instance.

Just about as much historical significance (and obsolescence now) as wearing one's jewelry in order to "carry your wealth with you."

Old 09-23-2015, 05:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 61,153,481 times
Quote:
But what do you need them for? I'm genuinely trying to understand this phenomenon.
'

So we can only wear or own clothing that we NEED?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
At first, Thought you were talking about a necktie.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:04 PM

37,715 posts, read 46,149,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyersmom View Post
Infinity scarves serve the EXACT same purpose as a regular scarf. If you don't like it don't wear it. If it doesn't look good on you, again, don't wear it. I love my infinity scarves and my regular scarves. I own many of both and wear them all fall and winter long.
Certainly they do not.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
My infinity scarfs keep me warm. Over at my "regular" scarves the same way, wrapped around my neck. So to me, yes they do serve the same purpose.

I don't have any scarves that can be used as a blanket. Infinity scarves are puffy, yet yours have enough fabric to be used as a blanket?! That sounds bulky to me. I get hot easily, so I couldn't have that much fabric. I just need to be able to keep my neck and face warm in the cold wind.

Good thing we have so many great scarf options so people are able to buy the ones that work for them.
Not as an actual blanket, literally. But flat, wrapped around my shoulders and draped down my front, they are far warmer than any infinity scarf. And they certainly don't look like I have a wreath hanging around my neck.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Why does anyone need a coat? Why does anyone need socks? Why does anyone need earrings?
Come on. Clearly there are people that like the look of the bird's nest (infinity) scarves. And they would certainly keep the neck warm, if it was a close-fitting one I guess. I just don't like the look, and I don't find them as functional as a regular scarf. But that's just me. I don't question anyone "needing" a certain type of shoe, but shoes are certainly a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty