Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2016, 12:43 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times

Advertisements

Fall is probably my favorite fashion season. In fall it is really easy to wear the stuff I am always trying to make my signatures. I really love to wear dresses with patterned tights and ankle boots.

But fall is also wardrobe crisis season for me. It seems like an annual tradition. I start thinking about how I am going to purge my closet.

I have a grand idea, that typically happens in fall, about how I am going to simplify my wardrobe. I love patterns, and colors. But the tricky thing about patterned clothing, particularly the ones I like, is that they are memorable and distinctive. I have a feeling everyone will notice if I over-wear my animal print dress.

So I start thinking, maybe I should get more solid pieces in my favorite colors. And every year I add a couple of solids. A dress, a blouse. And wear them all fall, with different accessories. I wear a bunch more black, white and grey with an accent color. I rotate the boots, and the cardigans.

Then spring comes around, and I get the graphic florals and springy patterns I like. And there went that solid color spree.

So it is nearly October, and again I am thinking about what and how to purge. And there goes my dilemma!

I want to create a uniform, and it comes undone every spring!

Anyone have a similar “crisis?”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2016, 02:23 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times
For me its stripes, my friends mother even commented about the number of tops I wear that are striped. As much as I try to move from that well beaten path I always seem to end up at Gap picking out yes you guessed it .... new season striped tops.
I do however still have closet clear outs ... all those non striped tops that I buy thinking I will give them a go, wear them once and then consign them to the back of the closet :\ hopeless !!

Old 10-02-2016, 03:58 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Fall is probably my favorite fashion season. In fall it is really easy to wear the stuff I am always trying to make my signatures. I really love to wear dresses with patterned tights and ankle boots.

But fall is also wardrobe crisis season for me. It seems like an annual tradition. I start thinking about how I am going to purge my closet.

I have a grand idea, that typically happens in fall, about how I am going to simplify my wardrobe. I love patterns, and colors. But the tricky thing about patterned clothing, particularly the ones I like, is that they are memorable and distinctive. I have a feeling everyone will notice if I over-wear my animal print dress.

So I start thinking, maybe I should get more solid pieces in my favorite colors. And every year I add a couple of solids. A dress, a blouse. And wear them all fall, with different accessories. I wear a bunch more black, white and grey with an accent color. I rotate the boots, and the cardigans.

Then spring comes around, and I get the graphic florals and springy patterns I like. And there went that solid color spree.

So it is nearly October, and again I am thinking about what and how to purge. And there goes my dilemma!

I want to create a uniform, and it comes undone every spring!

Anyone have a similar “crisis?”
Just NO......:-D)))

Old 10-02-2016, 03:59 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,338,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
For me its stripes, my friends mother even commented about the number of tops I wear that are striped. As much as I try to move from that well beaten path I always seem to end up at Gap picking out yes you guessed it .... new season striped tops.
I do however still have closet clear outs ... all those non striped tops that I buy thinking I will give them a go, wear them once and then consign them to the back of the closet :\ hopeless !!
I hope those stripes run vertically and not horizontally, right?

Old 10-02-2016, 08:08 PM

219 posts, read 163,069 times
So you change or just feel the need to add on to your original wardrobe each season you mean? I usually add a few pieces but I don't purge any...no one is really going to remember what you wore a year ago as an every day item.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:12 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,889,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CassieLyons View Post
So you change or just feel the need to add on to your original wardrobe each season you mean? I usually add a few pieces but I don't purge any...no one is really going to remember what you wore a year ago as an every day item.
I end up adding and purging. Typically every season I have 1-2 things on the wish list or that need replacement. This year it was a versatile warm but not too warm coat. A dress for holiday parties. And always on the list - a solid colored button down.

I have mini phases. I'll rotate the same 20 items for a month or so. So when those distinctive patterned dresses make their way in the rotation it gets obvious. And he rotations make it clear that I could do well with less clothes. If I could find the right 50 or so things.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:15 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Every item of clothing I have is a minimum of 3 years old and much of my wardrobe is 15+ years old.
I only add an item if I crochet it or one of the other pieces is worn out or cannot be repaired.
Everything is basic, classic and can be paired with jeans, capris or a skirt; I do not wear shorts.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:55 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Yup. I can never too many rugby stripes and argyle prints.

Old 10-03-2016, 06:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rent.in.nyc View Post
I hope those stripes run vertically and not horizontally, right?
Not me. All horizontal, all the time. Vertical stripes just look wrong to me.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:42 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,430,778 times
Yep all horizontal, haven't even seen any vertical stripes around lately a few diagonal maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty