Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 07:29 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Never. I'm 6' 2", broad shouldered and short haired and my attire is all male oriented.
Though my hair is a little long, I've yet to see a 6'2 woman with a beard lol so that's a nope from me as well.

I've been told I have feminine facial features though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 03:43 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Kirk Douglas's real name is Issur Danielovitch, he is the son of Russian/Belarussian immigrants.
Okay now I am bummed!!

Old 09-19-2017, 07:06 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,952,008 times
You can't be mistaken for the opposite "gender."

Gender is how you feel. How can anyone know how you are *supposed* to feel and then decide you are the opposite of that?

However, you can be mistaken for the opposite sex as that is a biological outward appearance.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:22 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

Gender is how you feel. How can anyone know how you are *supposed* to feel and then decide you are the opposite of that?

However, you can be mistaken for the opposite sex as that is a biological outward appearance.

Old 09-19-2017, 07:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
OK true story - and it was extremely upsetting at the time.

I was about 11 years old - hadn't had my girlie growth spurt yet, so I was just a gangly, flat chested kid.

I was camping with my family. I got up early one morning and slipped on my hoodie and my jeans and sneakers, and headed off to the campground bathroom. It was cold so I had my hood over my head, and over my long braids.

When I got to the bathroom, I noticed a sign on the men's bathroom door that said "Out of Order." Well, I wasn't going to the men's room, so it didn't bother me.

When I started to walk into the ladies' bathroom, the first thing I noticed was a container of MEN'S deodorant - Old Spice to be exact - on the sink.

The second thing I noticed was a big, fat, nekkid man standing in front of the sink.

I was so shocked I just stood there with my mouth wide open. And then the man turned to me and said, "Well, good morning, Son."

I couldn't move for a few seconds - there was so much weirdness to process - but then I took off running back down the hill toward our campsite like a bat out of hell!

I think that is the only time I've ever been mistaken for a male. But once was more than enough.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Yes. It was hilarious. I was going through one of my extremely thin phases (I was borderline anorexic) and my ex-husband had talked me into this really short haircut. I was eating breakfast with my mom and my youngest son. I had on no makeup, round, wire-rimmed glasses, and it was cold out, so I was wearing sweats with a big hoodie that covered my sizable breasts.

This older fellow happened to see my son standing up in the booth and as he passed by near my son and my mom (I was on the other side of the table, eating) I heard him say "be sure to eat all your food so you can grow up to be strong like your big brother."

My mom thought that was the funniest thing she'd heard in months.

My son was perplexed. He had no siblings yet.

I thought it was just funny. My look was quite androgynous and I'm pretty sure that guy's glasses were thick as Coke bottles.

I have been called "sir" via email because my name could be a male or female name.

I have been referred to as "sir" over the phone if I don't say much other than "hello" because I'm an alto and it gets even worse if I have a cold.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:22 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Another funny story...

My brother had really long hair when we were teenagers.

Once, we were driving down the road and stopped at a light. These two guys in a muscle car pulled up next to us. My brother was facing me to talk to me and they yelled out to ask us beautiful ladies what where we were headed.

My brother, not one to let a golden opportunity slip by, waited until the light was about to change, wheeled around and made his most crazy metalhead face (think Ozzy Osbourne). Those poor guys peeled away from that light so fast I'm surprised they didn't get a ticket.

It was sooo funny. We laugh about that still.

Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
Yeah, a number of times. I'm 6'1" so if people don't look, they just assume I'm a male, especially if my hair is in a bun. I have broad shoulders too, so that doesn't help. People apologize immediately after they realize though.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post

To most of the world sex and gender are synonymous and can be used interchangeably.

Old 09-20-2017, 08:47 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
yes, when I was a kid (maybe around 11) and had no boobs and short hair. Even though I acted like a boy also, I didn't like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty