Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2020, 07:28 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,867,959 times

Advertisements

What do you think about people who wear colors that don't match their natural skin tones? (Cool or Warm)

I think sometimes it can potentially make people look physically sick. Either they aren't aware of this, or else they just don't care. Maybe they are doing it to identify with a certain group. Or it's a color they like, even though it doesn't look good on them. That's possible.

By the way, I'm not talking about neutral colors which most people tend to wear anyway. I mean bold colors that can really clash sometimes.
ALSO, I think there are some people who seem to look good in any color. I don't know how they do it. Maybe it's how they accessorize things.

Maybe I am just too sensitive to these things. (Don't say it. I KNOW I probably am.)
But honestly I don't even consider myself that fashion conscious, which is the strange part.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 10:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
You don’t have to be fashion conscious to notice that chrome yellow does not look good against a peachy complexion. There is a way of classifying skin tones and their most flattering colors which was started in the ‘80s with the publication of Color Me Beautiful.

There are practitioners of color theory in fashion today.

I think most women wear what is in fashion when they are younger, regardless of color. And then as we age, we tend to fall back on things we are comfortable wearing, or that have worked for us in the past.

Personally, I am tired of black. It is not as common as it used to be, but you still do see a lot of it. I imagine most modern women own multiple pairs of black pants.

Some people just notice color more than others. I am one of those people, and it sounds as if you are too.

Old 01-11-2020, 04:53 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,679,067 times
Not everyone has cool or warm undertones. I am neutral, which is annoying when buying BB creams and whatnot since everything is either too yellow or too pink. Some colors look bad on me and I avoid them, but there are not too many colors. I still buy them and can either wear them combined with something else that looks better or as an accent. For example, periwinkle looks awful on me. I am from Florida, so I love color.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:21 AM

922 posts, read 792,182 times
I have always wondered why in advertising they dress people with red hair in this horrible lime-ish green. There are so many nice colors to choose from that would be more flattering and would enhance their unique color tones.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:39 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,605,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoundedSpirit View Post
I have always wondered why in advertising they dress people with red hair in this horrible lime-ish green. There are so many nice colors to choose from that would be more flattering and would enhance their unique color tones.
Mostly b/c the color looks awful on most other hair/skin tones and they've got to promote that lime green piece of clothing for their advertising clients. So they stick it on the redhead where it has some chance of standing out from the pack and ultimately being purchased.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:53 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I know I’m a cool, because warm colors look awful on me. My house is decorated with cool colors also. I just heard that an easy way to tell is to look at the veins in your wrist. If they appear bluish, you are cool. If they are greenish, you are warm.

Old 01-11-2020, 07:57 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Usually it only takes one photograph to know when you don't look good in a certain color.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:32 AM

3,060 posts, read 2,037,588 times
Oooh I like many colors that don't look good on me haha. And when I shop for clothes it's not easy to find:
1.something that FITS my body
2.something in a color that looks good on me
3.it's affordable

Like the saying goes "choose any 2"

Bold colors look terrible next to my face, should I always wear a less bold color? Nah.
I'm not an extrovert but guess that extroverts like being noticed in bright, bold colors or patterns.
It may not match their coloring but does match their personalities, not something a photograph can capture.

Old 01-11-2020, 08:49 AM

19,039 posts, read 27,607,234 times
I am more curious, how someone decides what looks good and criteria of what good is?
Far I know, it's usually "I look into the mirror" or hold something in hands and decide - yes, this will be good! I do not recall much of asking someone else - Do I look good in this? As what someone believes is good look and what OTHERS see quite commonly is very different.

Usually, results are what you see out there on people.

Of course, goes down to philosophy - do I dress for myself and don't give, or I dress to look good in others eyes, or, I gave up on any looks and don't want to be noticed(75% of what I see)

Old 01-11-2020, 09:41 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Gray and black make me look pekid/peaked. I look best in bright, warm colors and lighter shades of olive green; forest green is too dark for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty