Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2021, 01:16 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times

Advertisements

Got the latest LE catalog and anticipate being inundated with more till the New Year. Only had a quick glance and there were some nice cashmere sweaters. So if you want cashmere, have a look. I don't even wear all the cashmere I have so tossed this in the trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2021, 09:54 AM

1,558 posts, read 1,047,879 times
I have several pairs of Lands End jeans and, while I like the way they fit, they all attract lint. Whenever I wear them I have to keep a lint remover close by.

I'm ready to send them off to the community donation bin.

Old 11-16-2021, 11:43 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seija View Post
Was that catalog ever a win? It always seems a bit stodgy to me.
I know...it was where we had to order our uniforms from in High School.

Although, I do like them for plain white dress shirts.

Old 11-16-2021, 12:50 PM

1,938 posts, read 702,190 times
I bought a very cute sweater from them a few years ago but it shrunk after one wash. I will buy things on sale but
with the shipping and tax, it doesn't seem like that great of a bargain.

I do like their selection of rash guards! They are comfortable and you can wear them outside of the pool too!

Any catalog that features labs and retrievers is usually a win for me.

Old 11-21-2021, 10:45 AM

6,033 posts, read 6,145,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK true story time:

A few years ago my husband and I went to Maine on vacation in the fall. We were so excited because we'd be able to go to THE Land's End store. The mother store so to speak. We went with some sweet moolah because we knew it wouldn't be cheap.

We didn't buy a SINGLE THING. For one thing, all their "summer" clothes were already gone and the summer clothes in Maine are more like our winter clothes here in NE Texas. And the winter clothes they had in stock, without exception, from socks to shirts to hats to boots, were all so hot we couldn't imagine wearing a single thread of them in Texas.

So we just took some pictures of the gigantic shoe outside and just left.
I have to chuckle: go to the Arc'teryx flagship store in Vancouver B.C. sometime. I've only seen pictures m'self, but when it's easier to travel to Canada I'll pop in one of these months. They do have a nice brand store downtown Seattle.

Wandering into the latter the other day, it's so PacNW can't even begin to explain. I've gotten to know one of the dudes who manages the place, he's as PacNW as it gets (as am I!). That style, and the layering concept, and the North Face store four blocks away, the Columbia store around the corner, on and on...unless you live somewhere it 1) rains half the year 2) gets chilly but usually not below freezing for long 3) tends to be quality but expensive....I struggle to see the use for anything found there. Yes they do have gorgeous fleece.
I love to layer, and hike, and wander the streets half the year (on the sidewalks and trails) so I think it's the bee's knees.

But compared to NE Texas? Might as well toss all that on the fire for heat. The smoke of burning Gore TEX might be toxic, though. Only thing I have from Land's End (or LL Bean) is their slippers, they tend to last about ten years as house footwear. Otherwise...

Old 11-21-2021, 05:57 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I have to chuckle: go to the Arc'teryx flagship store in Vancouver B.C. sometime. I've only seen pictures m'self, but when it's easier to travel to Canada I'll pop in one of these months. They do have a nice brand store downtown Seattle.

Wandering into the latter the other day, it's so PacNW can't even begin to explain. I've gotten to know one of the dudes who manages the place, he's as PacNW as it gets (as am I!). That style, and the layering concept, and the North Face store four blocks away, the Columbia store around the corner, on and on...unless you live somewhere it 1) rains half the year 2) gets chilly but usually not below freezing for long 3) tends to be quality but expensive....I struggle to see the use for anything found there. Yes they do have gorgeous fleece.
I love to layer, and hike, and wander the streets half the year (on the sidewalks and trails) so I think it's the bee's knees.

But compared to NE Texas? Might as well toss all that on the fire for heat. The smoke of burning Gore TEX might be toxic, though. Only thing I have from Land's End (or LL Bean) is their slippers, they tend to last about ten years as house footwear. Otherwise...
All I know is that I went to a Cabela's in Ohio and bought some fleece lined boots that actually were made for up to (or down to) -4 degrees F and they were very effective - much more so than my crazy fleece lined books that I bought in Texas, which weren't worth a flip in really cold conditions. But hey, they look good. That counts for something.

Old 11-22-2021, 09:26 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Who knows. I can't remember all the details but I do remember that we went to the Land's End store - when I looked up the sign online I remembered it from the photos we took.

It did seem a bit underwhelming so I don't doubt that the main store is in Wisconsin. We didn't stay long.
The Lands End store you linked to in Maine is a gift shop, not a Lands' End outlet. LL Bean's flagship store is in Freeport ME and has a giant boot outside. And yes, their clothing is geared towards cold weather.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:40 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,314 times
Lands End must have a certain demographic in a certain region that they are trying to appeal to. Their clothing doesn't appeal to me. I mean, who would ever wear this?

https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...es=44256,48624

or this?
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...25,44256,44967

Plaid shirts, animal scuffs, flannel pj's with dogs on them, loud colored striped tops, mock tops, and other unflattering/unattractive clothing doesn't appeal to me. There isn't one single item in their women's clothing line that I would wear out on a date or to a serious business meeting. Of course maybe they don't want to cover all types of clothing and only want to focus on a certain demographic.

The other issue I'm finding is that nearly all retailers are showing dowdy big loose tunic length tops in ugly colors with ugly necklines. Have you watched QVC lately? Same old black leggings with a long dowdy tunic top. I feel the manufacturers are trying to appeal to certain women who possibly want to hide their bodies. I'm not a fan of low cut/cleavage looks either. Just give me a classy top in a beautiful color with a flattering neckline. I can't find one.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:16 AM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Lands End must have a certain demographic in a certain region that they are trying to appeal to. Their clothing doesn't appeal to me. I mean, who would ever wear this?

https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...es=44256,48624

or this?
https://www.landsend.com/products/wo...25,44256,44967

Plaid shirts, animal scuffs, flannel pj's with dogs on them, loud colored striped tops, mock tops, and other unflattering/unattractive clothing doesn't appeal to me. There isn't one single item in their women's clothing line that I would wear out on a date or to a serious business meeting. Of course maybe they don't want to cover all types of clothing and only want to focus on a certain demographic.

The other issue I'm finding is that nearly all retailers are showing dowdy big loose tunic length tops in ugly colors with ugly necklines. Have you watched QVC lately? Same old black leggings with a long dowdy tunic top. I feel the manufacturers are trying to appeal to certain women who possibly want to hide their bodies. I'm not a fan of low cut/cleavage looks either. Just give me a classy top in a beautiful color with a flattering neckline. I can't find one.

I have a bunch of their fleece pullovers that are 10-12 years old. I wouldn't buy any of the new, completely garish and ugly, ones pictured in your first link though. And I have some of their long-sleeve T-shirts....I wear those exclusively to physical therapy because they're loose and comfortable. Lands End used to have great clothes of all kinds, sweaters, jeans, tops, jackets, but their quality has gone way downhill in the past few years. Except for their bathing suits, most of their stuff is equivalent to Wal-Mart's. You can't wash any of it more than a few times before it's stretched way out of shape and falling apart. LLBean's stuff is usually better quality.

Old 11-23-2021, 09:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
The Lands End store you linked to in Maine is a gift shop, not a Lands' End outlet. LL Bean's flagship store is in Freeport ME and has a giant boot outside. And yes, their clothing is geared towards cold weather.
OK well I went to both and apparently I have them merged in my mind. I didn't buy anything at either store. The clothes were all too hot for Texas and the other stuff was overpriced in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty