Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2023, 06:58 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times

Advertisements

Piercings are so common...at least where I'm at, a big, bustling city where almost everyone has them.

Here, a person is being too self-conscious if they think their piercings are even noticeable to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2023, 11:11 AM

457 posts, read 219,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Piercings are so common...at least where I'm at, a big, bustling city where almost everyone has them.
Even men? Of course nearly all women have piercings, but not oo many men where I'm at (which is not in a big city).

Old 02-05-2023, 11:41 AM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Ever seen the TV show "Homes on homes"? The host is a big, burly straight man (with his son) who fix problems with various homes. He has both ears pierced. I doubt if anyone who has seen the show would think he was gay. I wore a single earring on the left ear back in the 80's. Ten years ago I had my right ear pierced. I've since had several other piercings on my ears; a double Daith, and triple helix on my upper left (because there's three in my family) and two additional on each earlobe. Never had any negative comments or been accused of being gay. My only regret is not doing it sooner in life. FWIW, I'm a veteran, 67 years young and straight. To the OP, If you want piercings (or tattoos) get them now while you're still young enough to enjoy them and never mind what parochial minded strangers think.

Old 02-05-2023, 11:58 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
Even men? Of course nearly all women have piercings, but not oo many men where I'm at (which is not in a big city).
Yes! Almost every man I know has multiple piercings in their ears...it's prevalent, even in the workplace.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:27 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKTwet View Post
I'm starting to see well dressed women usually younger than 35 with a nose piercing and it's just so unappealing. While beauty is in the eye of the beholder and trends always change over time. I find the trend of dressing well and nose piercing to be very unappealing and distracting.

1st of all, facial beauty is all about symmetry. If you have one bigger ear ring on one ear, it looks off.

Having nose piercing is like having a shiny pimple next to the nose.

What do yall think about it?
You are entitled to your opinions, but I don't see it having a big impact on the general population. Facial piercings and tattoos have been a part of beauty enhancement since we wore leaves and cooked over campfires.

When I was in my 30s (30+ years ago), I considered a nose ring. Then DH asked me if I really wanted to draw attention to my nose (which is somewhat pointed and has an odd shape). I decided against the ring.

As for facial symmetry, you are incorrect. No one has symmetry, you can prove this to yourself by taking a flat edged mirror, standing in front of another mirror, and holding the 2nd mirror's flat edge on the tip of your nose. Look at your face reflected on the first mirror before you. Your reflection would be your face's "symmetry," but it never looks exactly like you. There are always variations.

As for adornments, for several years now, I've seen women with asymmetrical hairstyles and colors, jewelry, etc. Though I am not much for assessing beauty (thinking everyone is attractive to someone), very often I think these women are quite attractive.

In summary, I think you may be looking for outside validation of your own narrow criteria for how women should present themselves. You won't find that with me. I love freedom of expression, even when I am not finding the presentation to be my preference for myself.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:44 PM

27,546 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Tongue piercings are the worst.

Why would any woman think that makes her look good?

Old 02-05-2023, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Ever seen the TV show "Homes on homes"? The host is a big, burly straight man (with his son) who fix problems with various homes. He has both ears pierced. I doubt if anyone who has seen the show would think he was gay.
I have never seen that show but have seen American Chopper and Paul Sr. was a similar type and wore earrings lol. It does seem like blue collar occupations are more receptive to piercings. The guy who installed my furnace was wearing earrings.

Quote:
I wore a single earring on the left ear back in the 80's. Ten years ago I had my right ear pierced. I've since had several other piercings on my ears; a double Daith, and triple helix on my upper left (because there's three in my family) and two additional on each earlobe. Never had any negative comments or been accused of being gay.
That's awesome! My plan would be to start with just the left or both sides. And then maybe even get triple lobes eventually along with a helix. Glad to hear that you never had negative comments.

Quote:
My only regret is not doing it sooner in life.
I figure I will likely have the same regret when I finally do get it done.

Quote:
FWIW, I'm a veteran, 67 years young and straight. To the OP, If you want piercings (or tattoos) get them now while you're still young enough to enjoy them and never mind what parochial minded strangers think.
Yeah, it's something I have wanted to do for a long time and I keep putting off for one reason or another. I have even thought about tattoos eventually as well but I don't know if I will go that far.

Old 02-05-2023, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Yes! Almost every man I know has multiple piercings in their ears...it's prevalent, even in the workplace.
Interesting! Maybe I need to move to a bigger city lol. Most men in the area I'm in (midwest, suburban area) do not have piercings.

Old 02-05-2023, 01:05 PM

3,249 posts, read 1,739,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post

Yeah, it's something I have wanted to do for a long time and I keep putting off for one reason or another. I have even thought about tattoos eventually as well but I don't know if I will go that far.
If you go for a tat, never just pick from "flash" (images on the wall) come up with something meaningful to you, even if its elements of several pictures and choose an artist who's work you can relate to.

Old 02-05-2023, 05:27 PM

Quote:
If you go for a tat, never just pick from "flash" (images on the wall) come up with something meaningful to you, even if its elements of several pictures and choose an artist who's work you can relate to.
For sure.
One reason I have no tats is that I haven't found anything I'd want on me permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty