Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2022, 04:09 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2goldens View Post
The first time I saw a bull nose ring on a person that I was talking to, it was aggravating to me while reading lips. YUCK!

Later I thought this nose ring deal must be symbolic. Maybe to be submissive by pulling the person by the nose with a rope. YUCK!

Altering the body is advertising the person's emotions. Same with tattoos; it's pretty picture messages of pain.
I don’t think that’s true at all. It’s too commonplace. What are you basing that on??

My belly button ring was a celebration of myself and a symbol of commitment to myself as a strong, independent woman. I’ve asked many, many people the meaning behind their tattoos and it’s usually a lovely back story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 05:38 PM

18,116 posts, read 11,749,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don’t think that’s true at all. It’s too commonplace. What are you basing that on??

My belly button ring was a celebration of myself and a symbol of commitment to myself as a strong, independent woman. I’ve asked many, many people the meaning behind their tattoos and it’s usually a lovely back story.
Basing the nose ring? Well, originally ... Here google says just what I said "to control" I said "submissive"
"Nose rings are used to control bulls and occasionally cows ..." Submissive advertising in their sexual play.

The multiple tattoos covered all over the body, like ten small pictures on each arm; are these storytelling pictures? Or "oh that drawing is cute! I want one right here on my arm!"

I've seen one tattoo picture on a person's back - yes that's one story - one picture.

Old 10-24-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Basing the nose ring? Well, originally ... Here google says just what I said "to control" I said "submissive"
"Nose rings are used to control bulls and occasionally cows ..." Submissive advertising in their sexual play.

The multiple tattoos covered all over the body, like ten small pictures on each arm; are these storytelling pictures? Or "oh that drawing is cute! I want one right here on my arm!"

I've seen one tattoo picture on a person's back - yes that's one story - one picture.
They aren't used to convey submission anymore, they are a fashion statement and a form of self-expression, just like purple hair, mohawks, and everything else people do.

Yes, many of them are storytelling pictures. Every one my niece has (only a few) mean something.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:03 PM

5,654 posts, read 3,139,106 times
I have a friend who is covered in tattoos, and one of them is a tattoo of Al Capone. It's seriously a work of art.

I have another friend who has a bunch of tattoos. They are her "road kill" animals, as she calls them. They're cute (not gross or gruesome) pictures of possums, skunks, an armadillo, a bunny or two, etc.

Old 10-24-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
They aren't used to convey submission anymore, they are a fashion statement and a form of self-expression, just like purple hair, mohawks, and everything else people do.

Yes, many of them are storytelling pictures. Every one my niece has (only a few) mean something.

I'm old school. I don't understand the Crayola hair coloring either. I do love the specialty color (fading/running) blending, but not blues, greens, etc. The first time I saw blue hair on Katy Perry was on TV. My impression was that she wanted a way to separate herself or break away from excessive popular blondes performing. I still identify Katy Perry as "the one with the blue hair". To me, she has a valid reason for coloring abnormal hair coloring.

Without a decent logical reason, it's just for attention-craving people.

Culture:

I just found this picture:

http://www.jewelryshoppingguide.com/...of-nose-rings/

Last edited by 2goldens; 10-24-2022 at 03:27 PM..

Old 10-24-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I'm old school. I don't understand the Crayola hair coloring either. I do love the specialty color (fading/running) blending, but not blues, greens, etc. The first time I saw blue hair on Katy Perry was on TV. My impression was that she wanted a way to separate herself or break away from excessive popular blondes performing. I still identify Katy Perry as "the one with the blue hair". To me, she has a valid reason for coloring abnormal hair coloring.

What logical reason had there ever been for any fashion statement? Was it logical in the 60’s for young women to wear mini skirts even in the cold? Was there a logical reason for bell bottom pants? For highlighted hair? For earrings? In the old days earrings hurt, they screwed them into their earlobes. I tried my grandmother’s on and they were very uncomfortable. What was the logic behind that?

Katy Perry dyed her hair blonde. She has black hair naturally so I doubt she used blue to stand out from other blondes. It’s a fashion statement.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:57 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navage8214 View Post
What about earrings on men?
Lots of men wear earrings.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:

Culture:

I just found this picture:

http://www.jewelryshoppingguide.com/...of-nose-rings/
Did you read the article with it? It was an interesting history of nose rings.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Did you read the article with it? It was an interesting history of nose rings.
Yes, it goes way back 4000+ years, India, Middle East, and Africa. Including in the Bible Old Testament. Quite a bit of history!

And today's bull nose ring is still being used. The nose ring made it's way to America; Goth and Punk fashion.

"Today, nose piercings are becoming mainstream as an increasing number of people take to wearing them. To the West, wearing a nose-ring is often seen as somewhat rebellious. Like many other types of piercing, nose rings are often viewed in a negative light and frowned upon. However, in other parts of the world, the nose ring holds a position of cultural and historical significance."

It's not my cup of tea.

Old 10-25-2022, 08:32 AM

Quote:
What logical reason had there ever been for any fashion statement? Was it logical in the 60’s for young women to wear mini skirts even in the cold? Was there a logical reason for bell bottom pants? For highlighted hair? For earrings? In the old days earrings hurt, they screwed them into their earlobes. I tried my grandmother’s on and they were very uncomfortable. What was the logic behind that?

Katy Perry dyed her hair blonde. She has black hair naturally so I doubt she used blue to stand out from other blondes. It’s a fashion statement.

Katy Perry -
http://www.vanityfair.com/style/phot...ow-hair-colors

Who was the other popular blonde-haired singer performing around the during the same years? Was it Britney Spears? Miley? Natsha Bedingfield, Fergie, Dido, Pink, .... lots of blonde hair on stages!

www.guitarlobby.com/2000s-female-singers/

Maybe it's my own thoughts about Katy Perry coloring her hair bright colors to separate herself from other blonde-hair singers. There were lots and lots of long blonde hair on the musical stages. I own it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty