Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2022, 12:40 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,143,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yes, and at least in my world, pierced ears were new and daring when we were young in the 1970s. My mother and aunts and grandmothers never had pierced ears. Now in some cultures, it was the norm already. My friend's mother was Cuban, and her ears were pierced when she was a baby. But in basic white-bread Protestant families like mine, ear piercing, like makeup other than lipstick and dyeing your hair, was met with some disapproval from the older folks.

My mother said no to my pierced ears at 14, but I think when she saw some of her friends allow their daughters to do it, she decided it was OK and I got the earrings and the piercing for my 16th birthday.

My own daughter wanted her ears pierced at 8, then she decided she didn't like it and let them close up. She got them redone a few years later. I think she has three piercings in one ear now. She got the nostril ring on one side in her early 20s, and then it got infected, so she let it close up. Then a couple of years later she got the septum pierced instead. As I said, sometimes she wears nothing in it, and I actually wondered if she'd let it close, but I spent a weekend with her recently, and she had one of the open-ended or "horseshoe" types of septum rings in.
In the 60's, I had a friend who was Cuban, and she had pierced ears (this was grade school). I was a little bit jealous of her, and her pierced ears. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 12:46 PM

You know...growing up, I had pleasant connotations and experiences with people who had tattoos and piercings of one sort or another.

We knew a very nice man who had a hula dancer for a tattoo that he got in the Navy. If we asked him, he'd flex his bicep, and make her dance. So I've always thought tattoos were interesting...not trashy or a sign of loose morals.

When I was young...like 6, 7, 8ish...we had a family friend who was Asian Indian. She was wonderfully kind, and exotic, and had piercings, and wore saris...and lived in a cute cottage style home decorated all cute and cottagy...and I just loved her and she would let me hang out with her.

And there was my Cuban friend with her pierced ears...

All my associations have been pleasant.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:52 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
when I see someone wearing a diamond stud,I assume it is real diamond and she is rich,and I wonder how long would she wear it until someone snatch it from her?would her nose bleed?is it painful?

Old 10-20-2022, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
when I see someone wearing a diamond stud,I assume it is real diamond and she is rich,and I wonder how long would she wear it until someone snatch it from her?would her nose bleed?is it painful?
Do you think the same thing when you see pierced ears? Do you assume someone could rip them out of her (or his) ears? Do you assume they're rich?

Old 10-20-2022, 01:59 PM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
No one is going to try and snatch the tiny diamond chip in someone's nose.

Old 10-20-2022, 02:43 PM

50,730 posts, read 36,431,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Right, it wouldn’t be worth much. Engagement rings would be worth 10x as much.

Old 10-20-2022, 08:48 PM

23,863 posts, read 33,540,585 times
I can also remember when most people did not have pierced ears, including me. I begged at age 4 or 5, no way. Eventually they gave in a few years later. Then the 80's brought a second hole in fashion in the left ear, I did that too. I also pierced my left ear 6 times but can not wear earrings in any of the other holes except the first one. I got punched in the ear, bending my 4 diamond studs.

I remember when body piercing started. Never got a belly button piercing which I thought looked good on the majority of women who got it. I was dared to pierce my nipple back in 1990, never again. I will die with that piercing in. I don't know how anyone pierces both nipples, some multiple times because not only does it hurt, it will knock the wind out of you. They put a clump on the nipple, then they take a hollow needle that cuts a chunk out of it which is not something I was told or I may have not done it.

I got my first ink at 16. I have multiple tattoos but they're all hidden for the most part unless I wear shorts and a spaghetti tank. I'm glad that mine can be hidden, best move I ever made unlike people, especially women today.

A big peeve of mine is woman especially who pierce the heck out of their face, put in the large spacers in their ears which is not easy to fix when they grow out of it. I especially do not like the "cow" nose piercings.

I also do not care for ink on women up and down their arms, or on their neck area. I watch some wedding shows where these massive tattoos on the arm and chest are out there. I wonder at what point will they regret them?

The newest ink fad is black out tattoos where they cover a body part in black ink. I can't imagine how they will feel in a few years. A lot covered a tattoo they didn't like with a dark black tattoo, I guess they don't stop to think at some point they'll regret that one even more?

Kat Von D says she's happy to have her 'garbage, drunken tattoos' covered up with new blackout ink

Old 10-20-2022, 08:49 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,997,118 times
Roselvr...

What do you hope to achieve by sending me a DM that my neice is disgusting? Who do you think you are?

You then claim you have tats & piercings, but yours are in good taste. That's a matter of opinion. And, you've not got an abundance of good taste if you call a young girl disgusting.

How dare you.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:35 AM

19,505 posts, read 9,530,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Not unless you have a curious toddler in your arms. I saw that happen while shopping at the mall some years ago. It could have been a sister or the mother holding the toddler but she gave the kid a good smack and that I remembered as well.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:12 AM

16,417 posts, read 12,495,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Not unless you have a curious toddler in your arms. I saw that happen while shopping at the mall some years ago. It could have been a sister or the mother holding the toddler but she gave the kid a good smack and that I remembered as well.
I was responding to a post suggesting that someone would assume that the wearer is rich and try to steal the diamond in their nose. We weren't talking about toddlers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty