U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-18-2009, 02:21 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 4,812,066 times
Reputation: 4176

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
It's amazing how ignorant people without tattoos are about the history of it. When are you going to look it up for yourself and see that tattoos ARENT A TREND!!!!!! They have been around longer than you have been alive, and they will probably be around long after you are dead, so PLEASE stop suggesting this is something that "fashion" pulled out of its A$$ and created circa 1990!


Good grief.......
I'm fully aware that tattoos have been around since ancient times.. Yet I will stand firm that tattoos are a trend and a fashion. I'm not sure how old you are. But if you are under 30 you probably never remember a time when tattoos weren't common. I grew up in the 1970s and 80s and clearly remember how rare tattoos were. You could go to the beach and literally see no tattoos whatsoever. Only motorcycle gangs and criminals had tattoos back then. Tattoos may have been around forever but they were not mainstream until circa 1990.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Cartersville, Georgia
277 posts, read 835,152 times
Reputation: 211
I believe that tattoo's have been mainstream for quite some time. You see more and more people with them. More and more parlors doing them. I personally am not into tattoos. To me I see them as ugly. My own opinion of course, but what would I do if I had one and couldn't afford to have it removed? Most of when I would see them was when I was in the Military. Alot of guys were into getting them.

Now one fad I remember seeing was children having those fake tattoos on their legs and arms. To me this sets a no so good presidence for them that their parents are letting them have them. Sorta like young girls and pierce ears. Babies and pierced ears. I do agree that at least some time in a young girls life I would sorta agree of peirced ears like middle school to high school. But infants and elementry age girls I would have to say no.

At an adult age people can do as they please, they always will. I really think that kids under the age of consent need to have more supervisory leadership from their parents and not influenced by society or peer pressure. Tattoos being permanent, big decisions. There are actually some professions that visible tattoos are not desireable....this is one thing that most people forget about.

Thanks for reading my opinions here. Lots of things to consider!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 09:23 AM
 
Location: on an island
13,383 posts, read 41,370,362 times
Reputation: 13268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil3 View Post

if we spent less time judging people's exteriors and rather giving them the opportunity to prove what's on the inside, then we may be pleasantly surprised.
Well, of course, Gil, I respect your feelings, but this *is* the Fashion forum. To me, it is interesting to see what's been going on with tattoos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
It's amazing how ignorant people without tattoos are about the history of it. When are you going to look it up for yourself and see that tattoos ARENT A TREND!!!!!! They have been around longer than you have been alive, and they will probably be around long after you are dead, so PLEASE stop suggesting this is something that "fashion" pulled out of its A$$ and created circa 1990!
I agree with Jay.
Of course tattoos have been around since ancient times. So has piercing.
Scarification, too.
But as other civilizations ascended, what was once commonplace body modification in Polynesia or Egypt or wherever, did eventually dwindle. Doesn't matter if the body art had been cultural or an individual statement or whatever--it waned.
Now it is back. It's sort of multi-culti, with Celtic designs, Chinese symbols, Egyptian hierglyphs, but it's back.
I wonder if scarification could eventually be the next big thing; it too reappeared years ago.
Maybe today's 20-somethings will some day have their own midlife crisis and end up doing scarification.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,116 posts, read 27,220,054 times
Reputation: 16272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2225 View Post
I believe that tattoo's have been mainstream for quite some time. You see more and more people with them. More and more parlors doing them. I personally am not into tattoos. To me I see them as ugly. My own opinion of course, but what would I do if I had one and couldn't afford to have it removed? Most of when I would see them was when I was in the Military. Alot of guys were into getting them.

Now one fad I remember seeing was children having those fake tattoos on their legs and arms. To me this sets a no so good presidence for them that their parents are letting them have them. Sorta like young girls and pierce ears. Babies and pierced ears. I do agree that at least some time in a young girls life I would sorta agree of peirced ears like middle school to high school. But infants and elementry age girls I would have to say no.

At an adult age people can do as they please, they always will. I really think that kids under the age of consent need to have more supervisory leadership from their parents and not influenced by society or peer pressure. Tattoos being permanent, big decisions. There are actually some professions that visible tattoos are not desireable....this is one thing that most people forget about.

Thanks for reading my opinions here. Lots of things to consider!
Agreed! Well, except for the tattoos are ugly part.. I'd probably change that to poorly done tattoos are ugly

The parental thing is an interesting point, though. I don't think that even parental consent should be allowed if a person under 18 wanted a tattoo. My old parlor (before it burned down ) wouldn't even allow anyone under the age of 18 in their shop unless they were accompanied by a parent or guardian. Nobody under 18 got tattooed period, regardless of consent.

For anyone contemplating something large, there was a waiting period to mull it over, and they refused to tattoo anyone below the elbows or above the collarbones unless you had extensive work done already. They had their rules, and they stuck by them.

Regarding the parents though... my parents never told me I couldnt' get a tattoo. Instead, they told me what a huge commitment it is, how it could affect me getting a job and asked that I wait a year and search for an artist that was good. I looked at so many tattoo magazines and flipped through so many artist portfolios it made my head spin. But I think if they had simply said no, I would have done it in secret. Instead, they helped me make an informed decision, and for that I'm very happy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 11:37 AM
 
4,669 posts, read 4,812,066 times
Reputation: 4176
I have seen many (but not all) tattooed people on this thread and others get hurt and defensive if anyone claims they don't like tattoos. That is one of the biggest changes from decades past. Years ago outlaw bikers and such got tattoos to be part of a counter-culture. They didn't want to fit in with mainstream society. They liked the fact that others hated their tattoos. Sure if you told them to their face you didn't approve of their tattoos they might beat you up or even kill you, but that's because they were truly dangerous individuals. Today a main reason people get tattoos (whether they admit it or not) is to fit in with everyone else. Humans are herd animals by nature, So in a sense people get tattoos for the exact opposite reason they did in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 11:52 AM
 
Location: San Fernando Valley, CA
1,719 posts, read 6,206,843 times
Reputation: 787
I think most of you people who are complaining about people with tattoos, are trying to justify why YOU don't have them or like them.

I'll be over in the "Is Organic Food Mainstream Now" thread *****!ng about these crazy foodies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM
 
Location: republic
429 posts, read 622,019 times
Reputation: 331
Im a 37 year old mother of 3 who does not drink except socially,no drugs ,and I am strict with my children . I have 2 tattoos.they are both in places that i cover when i deem necessary.they are for my enjoyment.i choose to cover them when in church ,at a job interview or when i think it may offend someone..my spouse also has several of them and i love each one!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 12:17 PM
 
Location: southern california
57,205 posts, read 76,264,784 times
Reputation: 50315
not precisely, loser certification is mainstream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Up in the air
19,116 posts, read 27,220,054 times
Reputation: 16272
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I have seen many (but not all) tattooed people on this thread and others get hurt and defensive if anyone claims they don't like tattoos. That is one of the biggest changes from decades past. Years ago outlaw bikers and such got tattoos to be part of a counter-culture. They didn't want to fit in with mainstream society. They liked the fact that others hated their tattoos. Sure if you told them to their face you didn't approve of their tattoos they might beat you up or even kill you, but that's because they were truly dangerous individuals. Today a main reason people get tattoos (whether they admit it or not) is to fit in with everyone else. Humans are herd animals by nature, So in a sense people get tattoos for the exact opposite reason they did in the past.
I think there's a big difference between being defensive because people simply don't like tattoos (which is fine, imo) and calling everyone who has tattoos 'trash' or unworthy in some way. I don't really care if someone doesn't like my tattoos and it definitely doesn't worry me that someone, somewhere may not think the same way I do regarding them.

On the other hand, if someone says that all people who have tattoos are trashy, or unintelligent or something of that type I do get quite defensive. There are plenty of extremely successful people who are sporting ink these days and it isn't necessarily a fad for many people out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-18-2009, 01:06 PM
 
733 posts, read 1,745,339 times
Reputation: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I'm fully aware that tattoos have been around since ancient times.. Yet I will stand firm that tattoos are a trend and a fashion. I'm not sure how old you are. But if you are under 30 you probably never remember a time when tattoos weren't common. I grew up in the 1970s and 80s and clearly remember how rare tattoos were. You could go to the beach and literally see no tattoos whatsoever. Only motorcycle gangs and criminals had tattoos back then. Tattoos may have been around forever but they were not mainstream until circa 1990.
As I said....ignorant. I'm not under 30 (try mid 40's), I'm not a criminal or a biker and I grew up in the 70's. Had my first tattoo in the 80's and I am probably older than you thought. Don't know where you live/d, but in California, where I live/d, people had tattoos..and you would see them.

This whole "fashion" crap may have been coined inthe 90's but there were many folks with tattoos long before then, that were not criminals or bikers...good grief....so much stereo typing.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top