Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 01:15 PM

5,906 posts, read 5,736,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by militarymom View Post
commonplace?? pulease. Sounds like added drama to me.

As a medical professional myself it is NOT commonplace to be going to the ER with an abscess. Nor is it commonplace that I have ever read on a chart that a woman is clean shaven. EVER. I ask my sister who sees vaginas all day long in OB and she never has seen this either. I have seen a number of shaven females in my line of work. I do most often see hair but its not anything that needs to be noted upon documentation. Noting gentalia are atypical does NOT include grooming. I have never seen a chart reading "male with beard" either. Come'on. lets be real here.
What you have or have not read in medical charts is not my concern. I have worked for hospitals in 9 states, 22 facilities total, from 5-bed rural facilities to some of the largest facilities in the country. It IS, in fact, common a) for physicians to note this in the GU portion of the H&P and b) for shaving/waxing-related abscess et al to present to the ER for treatment.

No, not every physician notes it. The vast majority do. And no, it is not as common a complaint as fracture, AMI, or OD...but they do present.

Amazing amount of defensiveness in this thread.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:20 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,974,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Surely I can't be the only one on here that knows that you were being facetious. Thats one reason why this thread was so funny.
thanks for the understanding...and I didnt mean to turn this thread into a symposium on std's nor did I want to imply that anyone with an std is worthless as a partner. I simply know my own preferences and standards and I know that I personally wouldnt handle catching an sexually transmitted disease very forgivingly...therefore, it is in my own best interest and in the best interest of those who may transmit anything to me to do everything in my own power to avoid contracting one.

I have read of people who have no problem dating or sleeping with others who have stds...thats perfectly ok, and thats their perogative...but one of my own safety precautions is visual inspection. Hence, less hair = a more accurate visual assessment.

Old 12-12-2009, 01:41 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
I was the poster who stated that condoms dont necessarily prevent the spread of Herpes...however they DO help...and they help a lot. Particularly in preventing the spread of the virus for women. Herpes only appears directly on the male genitals, and or on the buttocks. Since it is a skin to skin disease, and condoms cover male genitals, studies have found that condoms actually do help prevent the spread of herpes to women. Less so for men, but they help prevent the spread of the virus to men as well.
This is not true. Herpes can spread over the skin beyond the penis.

Bing Health Article - Genital herpes (http://www.bing.com/health/article.aspx?id=articles%2fmayo%2f2af0a941019ada8d 4e8d625122a98f3f.html&br=lv&q=herpes - broken link)

"When present, genital herpes symptoms may include:

Small red bumps, blisters (vesicles) or open sores (ulcers) in the genital, anal or nearby areas
Pain or itching around your genital area, buttocks or inner thighs"

Condoms don't cover your thighs!

Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
This is not true. Herpes can spread over the skin beyond the penis.

Bing Health Article - Genital herpes (http://www.bing.com/health/article.aspx?id=articles%2fmayo%2f2af0a941019ada8d 4e8d625122a98f3f.html&br=lv&q=herpes - broken link)

"When present, genital herpes symptoms may include:

Small red bumps, blisters (vesicles) or open sores (ulcers) in the genital, anal or nearby areas
Pain or itching around your genital area, buttocks or inner thighs"

Condoms don't cover your thighs!

In men the disease does not occur on the thighs...As I stated, the delicate skin of the genitals are the site for outbreaks in men. In women, yes outbreaks can occur on the inner thighs.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:14 PM

Yes it does..What are you talking about? It can break out anywhere on your skin no matter what your sex it. Herpes is related to leprosy and it means "to creep" because it creeps across ANY skin it wants to. It can break out on your finger too so you better wear gloves of latex medical grade. Stop spreading misinformation. There are "common areas" but that just means exactly that. Not "only".

Old 12-12-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Yes it does..What are you talking about? It can break out anywhere on your skin no matter what your sex it. Herpes is related to leprosy and it means "to creep" because it creeps across ANY skin it wants to. It can break out on your finger too so you better wear gloves of latex medical grade. Stop spreading misinformation. There are "common areas" but that just means exactly that. Not "only".

This is untrue...Herpes comes from the Greek word for serpentine due to the linelike pattern it forms on the skin...Genital herpes is just that.."GENITAL herpes"...of course herpes can occur in other parts of the body..I never said it couldnt...But genital herpes is, well, genital herpes. What you are speaking of is herpetic witlow..it can occur from HSV2 as well, but it is not genital herpes.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Genital only refers to location. Not disease type or behaviors.

HERPES VIRUSES

"The name herpes comes from the Latin herpes which, in turn, comes from the Greek word herpein which means to creep. This reflects the creeping or spreading nature of the skin lesions caused by many herpes virus types."

And people...trust me..I used to council people. Real world & text truth: it breaks out everywhere it wants too.
On person in paticular comes to mind. A male who only had it on the base and it creeped down around his sack and up to anus and ran down the inside of his thigh. He was not gay/HIV negative. He thought it was jock itch at first.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:34 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Please....let's get back to the bush country! This herpes stuff is giving me the heebee geebee's.

Last edited by jfkIII; 12-12-2009 at 03:00 PM..

Old 12-12-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Genital only refers to location. Not disease type or behaviors.

HERPES VIRUSES

"The name herpes comes from the Latin herpes which, in turn, comes from the Greek word herpein which means to creep. This reflects the creeping or spreading nature of the skin lesions caused by many herpes virus types."

And people...trust me..I used to council people. Real world & text truth: it breaks out everywhere it wants too.
On person in paticular comes to mind. A male who only had it on the base and it creeped down around his sack and up to anus and ran down the inside of his thigh. He was not gay/HIV negative. He thought it was jock itch at first.

did I not say that it can appear on the buttocks? Anyway, it sounds like we are both a bit off. ..lol

Genital Herpes Simplex

"Herpes simplex is a viral disease derived from the Greek word “erpis” which means snake."

Herpes simplex facts - Freebase.com

"Herpes simplex (Ancient Greek: ἕρπης - herpes, lit. "creeping") "

I repsect your realworld experience..but I suspect that that wasnt his primary outbreak. Unless he was gay, his initial outbreak was most likely directly on his genitals. He may have spread the outbreak through autoinnoculation, but I highly doubt that he initally had an outbreak on his thigh...at anyrate, he was your patient so you know what you saw best.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM

It was the continuation of the primary. Outbreaks back to back, type 2. It spread from the base. You know that little area between the body and the penis that condoms don't always cover? There.
So being that it is on his thigh, he can spread it from his thigh with asymptomic viral shedding even if he never breaks out again. The first outbreaks are usually the worse and also the ones that have it spread over skin because the body takes time to develop immunity.

Just because you "highly doubt" it does not mean it does not transmit to and from there. Especially for guys that exercise and get sweaty. They get a nice case of chappy balls/crotch rot in hotter seasons. That opens you up to infection that condoms don't cover and makes you more prone to spreading an infection like herpes if you had it. (skin damage can cause breakouts)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty