Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 07:55 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,152,597 times

Advertisements

My husband wore his first Speedo swimsuit at middle age. It was the bikini style. He wore it outside in the yard. Comments from my friends were not favorable--not that he didn't look great in it but I think they thought it left too little to the imagination. I retired that suit and got him a more modest cut Speedo. I think the bikinis belong on the professional swimmers. Not so sure the European men still wear these do they? I'll ask my friend in Italy and report back.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 12:18 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
TownandCountryGal - what part of the country was this? Urban or rural?

Old 04-20-2010, 01:41 AM

905 posts, read 2,400,435 times
Wuss, I'm going with the man thong speedo...

errrr.....not

Old 04-20-2010, 03:01 AM

30,894 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
I know that this topic is debatable. In the US, the population is slightly against speedos. However, I am curious. I would like to hear about how acceptable it is for men to wear speedos if they are fit or thin. (I know it would be totally out of the question for overweight men). If you are fit or thin, have you worn a speedo in public? What happened? As long as you do not draw too much attention on yourself, did people seem to notice or even make comments? What part of the country is this? I do NOT want this to be a debate about the speedo. I have heard the pros and cons before. I want to know what has happened to men who wear them.
I live in California. I am thin and wear Speedos. Nothing has happened to me. If anyone stared at me I never noticed. I wouldn't mind if some cute guy stared back, though :-)

I didn't realize they were a joke. Why don't people like them? I do swim laps in them, though.

Old 04-20-2010, 03:03 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,298,419 times
Here in Hawaii it's the tourist that will wear the speedos (especially from foreign countries).

I had to behave myself when I use to tend bar at a Hotel. I go to the beach often but the local boys don't wear speedos like I saw at the resort.

I mean some of the tourist had to have combed the exposed hair (it was soooo distracting).

They apparently have a wardrobe in tow to dazzle because they always ask me if I liked the new suit. ohhhhhhh my aching eyeballs.

And then when they're straddling the beach chairs "OMG" sometimes the speedo not so tight and gravity ensues ooooopps. I have had the "excuse me sir, but your testicles are showing" conversation more then once. Ahhh there just having a good time (wealthy couples usually). They let it all hang out at the private pool; why not.

Not to offend anyone but it was the Germans that would show up in a speedo no matter body type/shape etc...Whatever floats the boat (they always had a good time).

I like a guy in a nice pair of board shorts ridin slightly low right on the hips and above the knee. You have to wonder how some of the guys wearing board shorts keep them up (adds to the mystery).

What was the question

Last edited by tyvin; 04-20-2010 at 03:43 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 03:13 AM

1,823 posts, read 1,881,444 times
lmao .. got guts wear the Borat gear ! .. the chic magnet .. lmfao ..rofl & die ..speedos never did O's lolz

Old 04-20-2010, 07:32 AM

4,721 posts, read 15,610,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
No matter how good your body is, don't wear one.
I agree.
They are and will continue to be something that causes eye rolling giggles and (to me) signals a man not interested in being appealing to women.Or one woefully misinformed about what looks hot.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:20 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,517 times
Nanannie - I disagree because NOT everyone shares your tastes. First of all, if a man has a good physique, why not show it off? You ladies do the same too, but why not men?! Anyway, I believe that many in the US dislike the speedo out of a misconception of what a real man should look like. Women are allowed much more freedom to do things outside their traditional gender roles than men are. For example, women working was almost taboo years ago. Ditto women doctors and lawyers. Ditto women police officers. However, a male elementary school teacher still raises eyebrows. We can go on and on about this debate but my point is clear. The dislike of the speedo comes from what much of society is TAUGHT about what real men should wear versus LOGICAL REASONING. Since there are some men that would wear the suit and been for many years, there simply is not logically based reasoning for it to be humorous should the man look good in it. Also, men also have PRACTICAL reasons for wearing the suit. It does provide support. Can women say the same? Therefore, I have to conclude that it mostly misinformed people who have not thought out their reasons for the dislike of the speedo. They are merely TAUGHT the dislike for the speedo and so it is not that men do not look good in speedos (if they have the physique).

Secondly, our Western society is based on freedom and individual choice. Therefore NOBODY HAS ANY RIGHT to mock what another person chooses to wear. Why? I will let you in on a secret! Not everyone will like some of the things that you wear. As long as it is not too distasteful or revealing (like your personal parts hanging out) to each his own. Thus, unless you are Officer Enforcer of the Fashion Police, FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO OCCUPY YOUR TIME. The very fact that someone would react so negatively to the type of bathing suit someone else wear tells me they have nothing else to do with their time.

Now, I am not insulting people who disagree with me or do not prefer men in speedos. I am questioning those that would mock someone behind their back or to their face over differences in taste. If you do not like speedos because you were taught that or you associate them incorrectly with homosexuality fine. Just keep your opinions to yourselves unless you want people to critisize you. (Which I am sure if the tables were turned you would NOT be happy).

Now if you just do not like the look of men in speedos. Fine. That is your opinion. However, just let everyone else live their lives the way they want unless you want someone else to tell YOU what to wear. Please do not feel that my post was attacking the other posters here because they do not like speedos. I will respect your opinion to dislike the suit on men. However, I just do not think men should be mocked for the bathing suits they wear when there is no logical reasons to mock them. (I had a friend that had this problem).

Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,194,324 times
I'd never wear speedos, but if I had a better physique (diet time and excercise this summer, maybe..) I might be inclined to pick up a pair of those trunks like Daniel Craig has. Not speedo-y but not super baggy, either..

and since when are board shorts below the knee "baggy"? Mine come to just below the knee, just enough to cover them when I sit down.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,688,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Nanannie - I disagree because NOT everyone shares your tastes. First of all, if a man has a good physique, why not show it off? You ladies do the same too, but why not men?! Anyway, I believe that many in the US dislike the speedo out of a misconception of what a real man should look like. Women are allowed much more freedom to do things outside their traditional gender roles than men are. For example, women working was almost taboo years ago. Ditto women doctors and lawyers. Ditto women police officers. However, a male elementary school teacher still raises eyebrows. We can go on and on about this debate but my point is clear. The dislike of the speedo comes from what much of society is TAUGHT about what real men should wear versus LOGICAL REASONING. Since there are some men that would wear the suit and been for many years, there simply is not logically based reasoning for it to be humorous should the man look good in it. Also, men also have PRACTICAL reasons for wearing the suit. It does provide support. Can women say the same? Therefore, I have to conclude that it mostly misinformed people who have not thought out their reasons for the dislike of the speedo. They are merely TAUGHT the dislike for the speedo and so it is not that men do not look good in speedos (if they have the physique).

Secondly, our Western society is based on freedom and individual choice. Therefore NOBODY HAS ANY RIGHT to mock what another person chooses to wear. Why? I will let you in on a secret! Not everyone will like some of the things that you wear. As long as it is not too distasteful or revealing (like your personal parts hanging out) to each his own. Thus, unless you are Officer Enforcer of the Fashion Police, FIND SOMETHING ELSE TO OCCUPY YOUR TIME. The very fact that someone would react so negatively to the type of bathing suit someone else wear tells me they have nothing else to do with their time.

Now, I am not insulting people who disagree with me or do not prefer men in speedos. I am questioning those that would mock someone behind their back or to their face over differences in taste. If you do not like speedos because you were taught that or you associate them incorrectly with homosexuality fine. Just keep your opinions to yourselves unless you want people to critisize you. (Which I am sure if the tables were turned you would NOT be happy).

Now if you just do not like the look of men in speedos. Fine. That is your opinion. However, just let everyone else live their lives the way they want unless you want someone else to tell YOU what to wear. Please do not feel that my post was attacking the other posters here because they do not like speedos. I will respect your opinion to dislike the suit on men. However, I just do not think men should be mocked for the bathing suits they wear when there is no logical reasons to mock them. (I had a friend that had this problem).
Speedos are not fashionable. They are functional and fine for swimmers, but on the beach or at the pool, they are not in style. Wear fitted trunks if you want to show off your package--nobody cares. But they WILL laugh at you wearing a banana hammock.

People have every right to mock what they do not like, including speedos AND the people who dislike them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty