Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 10:01 AM

10 posts, read 75,952 times

Advertisements

I am living in Spring Lake, NJ about 10 years.
It’s good and save place to live. But I want more sunny days, and more “crowded” places to go.
I want to move in Florida :

1. Because it’s complete different nature – palms, and e.t.c.

2. More sunny days, and more place to go : 2 costs, Key West and so on.
I am looking some nice place not too far from ocean ( 20-30 minutes top ), for rent. ( now I am pay 1300/m for nice apartment ) but I know I can get better place for this money in FL.

BUT WHAT I AM AFRAID OF :
hurricanes and tornados. Is sounds like fun, but it’s not so fun, if you will get no power for 5-7 days or some limited internet service during “bad weather” and so on..
In NJ I was without power maybe 10 hours top in last 10 years. So I wont to change it.

And what more important it’s internet connection for me because I am working from home.

Also I am afraid of large population of homeless people. I see no one in last 10 years in my area and I want to keep it this way. I don’t want to have problems with broken windows in my car also..

Here in NJ, I no need to lock the car door or even home door. And I think, it’s almost imposible in FL ?
Maybe some one moved recently from NJ to FL, I want to talk with some body to make sure it’s right thing to do.

And maybe some one can give me a tips, with nice apartment for $1300 in FL.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 10:09 AM

27 posts, read 98,924 times
I live just off of Cocoa beach central part of Florida,the weather is good if you like hot and very humid days. Rent is ok its cheaper than up north I moved down here 4years ago from NY.Thinking it was cheaper.Its allmost about the same as back north except state tax up there.The cost of house insurance is higher,car insurance is higher.Cost of food is also alot higher.I'm planning to move back north next year.The pay is a joke down here.But everyone has their opinions.I'm just giving you mine.
Some people like it some don't.Just look into alot before you make your final decision.Goodluck

Old 09-18-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchdemon89 View Post
I live just off of Cocoa beach central part of Florida,the weather is good if you like hot and very humid days. Rent is ok its cheaper than up north I moved down here 4years ago from NY.Thinking it was cheaper.Its allmost about the same as back north except state tax up there.The cost of house insurance is higher,car insurance is higher.Cost of food is also alot higher.I'm planning to move back north next year.The pay is a joke down here.But everyone has their opinions.I'm just giving you mine.
Some people like it some don't.Just look into alot before you make your final decision.Goodluck
Thanks for answer. I want to move to FL, because i am tired of NJ and what to change.
FL it’s not my final destination, and in 5-6 years, I thinking to move again. Maybe back to north.

How about “power outage” and crime in your area ?
And where you lived in NY before moved to FL ?

And what is your first bad experience when you moved from NY to FL ?
What was bad surprise for you ?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:23 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,307,416 times
You haven't seen a homeless person in a decade? You'll be in for a surprise here.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
You haven't seen a homeless person in a decade? You'll be in for a surprise here.
Yes, i my area : Bradlay Beach, NJ | Belmar, NJ | Spring Lake, NJ - it's imposible to see any homeless.

And 100% safe to take a walk in 3 AM with back of cash in hands...

So it's mean i am live in "haven", and no need to move to "hell" ?

Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 AM

Can anyone give me tips, where in FL i can find place to live for $1300/m ( rent ).

Must be :

1. not so remote from life.
2. safe for parking a car
3. safe for walking at nite.
4. far from "power outage” areas.

Old 09-18-2010, 02:38 PM

27 posts, read 98,924 times
Yes i lived in NY my whole life then moved to florida power surges are often due to the lightning down here.Cocoa beach is ok if i could do something differently in moving here i would have moved to the west side of florida by st.petersburgh.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:46 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Jupiter or Tequesta area

"Power outages?" Maybe in a big storm....? Not really a problem for most places.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 18,382 times
We moved from NJ (Kinnelon) to Florida a little over 5 years ago...we started in Pasco County (Trinity) and loved Florida but not that area. We are now in Apollo Beach......love love love
Sure we see panhandlers but the laws are different here and they are allowed to do it.....and are you kidding me with the "power outage" issues???? Do you know how many times our power went out in NJ due to snow or wind? I have no clue what your talking about with tornados...I just read in the NY Post a tornado went thru NYC and LI just this week. Every area of the country has their issues and you have to weigh what is important to you to see if Florida is the right call....it was for us.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:02 AM

What is deference between ocean and gulf cost areas ?
It’s seems lot of people prefer Tampa area, instead of Miami area.
What is general deference ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida