Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2011, 08:30 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,119,427 times
I feel the problem is that unskilled people think that they can get a job in a big corporation and just float through the system. The problem is hiring people with the skills to do the jobs they need to fill. Running a cash register or making a whopper sandwich is not a job skill that corporate employers have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Ryan is saying that locals are leaving FL because of no jobs. There were discussions about lack of Fortune 500 companies that are based in FL...as those big guys can provide lots of jobs in their HQ offices. Ryan gave samples of places he visited in FL and where their HQ are based(not FL)...though FL DOES have some Fortune 500 companies based in the state.

Those can be some decent jobs. These jobs might keep some folks in the state...and one reason many folks leave...is for better job opportunities elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 08:52 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23
In my experiences, You can find a McMansion style house in Houston for less than $120k. In most cases, the taxes per year run around $4k, sometimes more, sometimes less just depending on the neighborhood.
Yes, I've seen plenty of Househunters and laugh at the expectations of Texans for their $150k budgets!

I'm not a McMansion person (for what I paid for my house "in town" a mile from downtown I could have had a LOT more if I wanted to commute to work) .... but are we talking IN the Houston city limits? Or the Houston suburbs and exurbs? There are plenty of homes in even SE Florida (St. Lucie County and South) where you can get newer homes for 120k:

http://services.palmbeachpost.com/content/R3163551i1.jpg (broken link) (120k)

http://services.palmbeachpost.com/content/R3218998i1.jpg (broken link) (110k)

Elsewhere in the state the bargains can be even better. This isn't 2005-2006 anymore. Besides homeowner's insurance (which is also higher in coastal Texas than the interior), MOST people's taxes have gone down, due to correction of artificially high assessed home values. Home prices for purchase are actually about where they were 10 years ago. I really just don't buy the "cost of living" excuses for anyone making the median income. Again, besides property insurance, which is a racket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRyan23
In Florida, I know there are MANY places that demand more property taxes then that. Texas currently rates as having the 3rd cheapest cost of living behind Tennessee and Oklahoma. That's not bad considering Houston is the 3rd largest city in the U.S. (having just passed Chicago) and Dallas/Ft. Worth where their metro is 5th.
Central area Texas is blessed with almost unlimited potential for sprawl. Like Atlanta and their infamous McMansions (though the houses I would want, in town, cost every bit as much as anything similarly situated in Florida). This universally causes home prices to be lower.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:09 PM

677 posts, read 933,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
The only problem is when the post is based on opinion but is attempted to be presented as fact.

Whoop there it is................thing 2

Old 12-31-2011, 04:22 PM

10,229 posts, read 6,309,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Yes, I've seen plenty of Househunters and laugh at the expectations of Texans for their $150k budgets!

I'm not a McMansion person (for what I paid for my house "in town" a mile from downtown I could have had a LOT more if I wanted to commute to work) .... but are we talking IN the Houston city limits? Or the Houston suburbs and exurbs? There are plenty of homes in even SE Florida (St. Lucie County and South) where you can get newer homes for 120k:

(120k)

(110k)

Elsewhere in the state the bargains can be even better. This isn't 2005-2006 anymore. Besides homeowner's insurance (which is also higher in coastal Texas than the interior), MOST people's taxes have gone down, due to correction of artificially high assessed home values. Home prices for purchase are actually about where they were 10 years ago. I really just don't buy the "cost of living" excuses for anyone making the median income. Again, besides property insurance, which is a racket.

Central area Texas is blessed with almost unlimited potential for sprawl. Like Atlanta and their infamous McMansions (though the houses I would want, in town, cost every bit as much as anything similarly situated in Florida). This universally causes home prices to be lower.
Those are really UGLY looking places. The second one looks like the place I own in Florida. Ugly.

Old 12-31-2011, 04:34 PM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
Depending on how you define the Midwest, there are a lot of interesting places there: the Twin Cities in Minnesota, for one, and Ann Arbor, for another. The only real downside to the region (for me) is the winter. We have winter in West Virginia, but nothing like the winter in Minneapolis! (And there are no hurricanes in the Midwest.)

Old 12-31-2011, 05:31 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Those are really UGLY looking places. The second one looks like the place I own in Florida. Ugly.

Hey, not my style either, but for some people, these types of homes... and "McMansions" are their dream homes. Every region of the country will have some version of these regional, generic homes and generic architectural style (such as the super ugly tri-level homes clad in vinyl siding popular in the NE).

The first is an example of "Florida style" one level living... in a design and style that was popular in the 1990s. The second looks like some mish mash of "Tuscan-Spanish-Contemporary-American (due to prominent garage)"....

I like my home because it's unique. No other house like it in the country!

Old 12-31-2011, 08:19 PM

395 posts, read 1,540,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalParadise View Post
Why do you not want to move back to Fla? What is it about OK City that you like that you apparently did not get in Fla?
Sorry it took so long to reply. I forgot about this thread so I was not watching it. Oklahoma (and particularly Oklahoma City) has a stronger economy than Florida. The cost of living is lower in Oklahoma than just about any other state in the country. I was able to buy a nice all brick house in a great neighborhood. Had we stayed in Florida I would have lost my job as the place I worked for shut down a few months after we left. Unemployment in the Marion County area was high and I think it still is.

Old 12-31-2011, 08:29 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,244,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Hey, not my style either, but for some people, these types of homes... and "McMansions" are their dream homes. Every region of the country will have some version of these regional, generic homes and generic architectural style (such as the super ugly tri-level homes clad in vinyl siding popular in the NE).

The first is an example of "Florida style" one level living... in a design and style that was popular in the 1990s. The second looks like some mish mash of "Tuscan-Spanish-Contemporary-American (due to prominent garage)"....

I like my home because it's unique. No other house like it in the country!
What makes it so unique? Only one in the country?

Old 01-01-2012, 01:44 AM

2,602 posts, read 8,300,667 times
Quote:
Yeah, tell me about it. I can't wait until the "snout house" (houses where the garage dominates the front of the house) design craze blows over.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:08 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Quote:
You need medical help. Those homes are completely gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida