Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 06:54 PM

251 posts, read 886,213 times

Advertisements

WELL SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlab View Post
I cannot speak for anyone non-native to the state.

But I can list a virtually unlimited number of heartfelt answers to your question from the viewpoint of a native.

First, someone said something about people being negative on forums. I dont know about all that, I happened upon this web site while surfing. Im not a negative person, just supplying what you asked for.

I have seen my families home of 3 generations deteriorate to a dilapidated state. I understand its beautiful from what all the transplants say, but its nothing like it used to be and youre hearing comparisons from people that move here from crime ridden/polluted/cold and snowy states. Or else they wouldnt be moving.

This is from growth. We all know it happens everywhere to a degree, but it seems to be everyone that lives/lived in snow wants/wanted to escape it. No surprise. So they come to Florida. Or Az, or Nevada or where ever.

When doing so, they tend to bring their lifestyles with them. Now if you ask anyone that has moved here, it is the rude people "from Florida." On the contrary, we see the attitudes of so many that are used to the big city hustle and bustle ratrace. And we have seen the "attitude adjustment" our home has taken on over the last 100 years. The only common factor in this is the huge influx of snowbirds. Yes, this has definatley hardened our demeanor towards "outsiders." A simple get what you give is what it boils down to.

We have seen our natural landscape torn to shreds on a daily basis so that people can "escape" the snow and cold or play golf for 3 months out of the year. Amazing how many homes sit with no one in them for 9 months out of the year. Tearing down the environment they so dearly cherished and made them move here because they can afford to.

The cost of living is insanity. People can sell a home for 300k in NY for example and 10 years ago buy 50 home lots for that and build a new one for 100k. It has choked out many of the younger natives into not being able to afford their own home. Correct, our pay scale has not been what it has been in larger cities.

The incessant "they dont do things here like they do back home" comments.
If its so great back there, why do people move here?
And as we all know, the vast majority of people in Florida are from where you come from, back home. Speaks volumes about the people transplanting here that actually have made the state into what they complain about.

Our family has called home, "Little New York" and "The Midwest" for 20 years.
Its all in good fun though. I understand it will never change. We just float by day to day watching our home being wrecked by folks who are tired of their own homes because of "the miserable weather." And dont get me wrong, its not all, Edison was a snowbird and we loved him here He actually had a positive influence in the area.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:10 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,505,819 times
It's worth thinking about the fact that many of the people who are so negative about Florida came here from somewhere else. When they were ready to leave that area, wherever it was, they were negative about that. They may have had a history of failure in several other areas. Finally, they decide that if they have to move again, it might as well be Florida. They've heard the living is cheap, jobs are plentiful and the streets are paved with gold. They pack up the U-Haul and off they go. They're sure the move is going to solve all their problems.

The trouble is, their problems are of their own making, and when they aren't any better off in Florida than they were anywhere else, they blame the state, not themselves. When they do leave, for the next area that's going to solve all their problems (the current buzzword seems to be Eastern Tennessee), I can almost guarantee they won't be any happier. It's likely they'll never be happy, anywhere they go, and they will always blame the area.

The thing you have to do is take what they say with a grain of salt and develop a positive, thoughtful and confident attitude. Do your research, and ask your questions (as you did to start this thread -- good job), and make the decision that works best for you -- and remember that almost nowhere can be as bad as the picture some of these folks paint.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:14 PM

806 posts, read 2,885,005 times
Hey, at this rate Florida will be well within our budget when we're ready to move...All the people moving out making space for us.

Old 11-12-2006, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 6,419 times
It's worth thinking about the fact that many of the people who are so negative about Florida came here from somewhere else. When they were ready to leave that area, wherever it was, they were negative about that. They may have had a history of failure in several other areas.

Like I stated, I know anything I say isnt going to change people moving here, so Im not trying. But really, isnt what you just said about many of the people being negative about the area they were leaving, most all of you? I havent seen one thing about how great it is where they live and they HAVE to move to Florida. Every post Ive read seems like people are flocking here because of how bad it is where they live. If it is the weather, or crime or cost of living, everyone moves here because of the negatives of where they are from. And how do we know they had a history of failure? Seems like you are an awfully intuitive individual to analyze peoples legitimate dislikes on the internet about where they live.
Perhaps Im being too negative for your suiting, but thats because I am one of many that has been forced to adapt.

[

Last edited by dlab; 11-12-2006 at 08:38 PM..

Old 11-12-2006, 09:54 PM

185 posts, read 687,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
It's worth thinking about the fact that many of the people who are so negative about Florida came here from somewhere else. When they were ready to leave that area, wherever it was, they were negative about that. They may have had a history of failure in several other areas. Finally, they decide that if they have to move again, it might as well be Florida. They've heard the living is cheap, jobs are plentiful and the streets are paved with gold. They pack up the U-Haul and off they go. They're sure the move is going to solve all their problems.

The trouble is, their problems are of their own making, and when they aren't any better off in Florida than they were anywhere else, they blame the state, not themselves. When they do leave, for the next area that's going to solve all their problems (the current buzzword seems to be Eastern Tennessee), I can almost guarantee they won't be any happier. It's likely they'll never be happy, anywhere they go, and they will always blame the area.

The thing you have to do is take what they say with a grain of salt and develop a positive, thoughtful and confident attitude. Do your research, and ask your questions (as you did to start this thread -- good job), and make the decision that works best for you -- and remember that almost nowhere can be as bad as the picture some of these folks paint.
You make a good point. However a lot of the people complaining are native Floridians who have come to expect $50,000 house in walking distance of the beach as the norm.

I have no problem with the cost of living, it's still low as far as I'm concerned.

People looking for information are generally from big cities in the northeast, it seems and might not find the amenities they are accustomed to, I expect.

My opinion is the same as a few years ago before the Hurricanes and Real Estate boom. I would still buy a house in many areas.

These forums aren't any more valid than yesterday's paper, but can be useful if some perspective is gained by individual research.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:07 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
You make a good point. However a lot of the people complaining are native Floridians who have come to expect $50,000 house in walking distance of the beach as the norm.

I have no problem with the cost of living, it's still low as far as I'm concerned.

People looking for information are generally from big cities in the northeast, it seems and might not find the amenities they are accustomed to, I expect.

My opinion is the same as a few years ago before the Hurricanes and Real Estate boom. I would still buy a house in many areas.

These forums aren't any more valid than yesterday's paper, but can be useful if some perspective is gained by individual research.

LOL that arent gonna happen. I dont think there has been a $50k beach house for many decades! In fact there isnt a $50k house anywhere in Florida, at least not a livable one. There still are $50k 1/1 condos in north Florida and you can buy an acre of land as cheap as $10k per acre in north Florida to build your own house or put a mobile home on it.

Nice $50k houses are a reality in rural north towns, plenty of them in OH and WV and im likley to get one of those.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:39 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
We're mad because this place has become more expensive, while our incomes have flattened out or fell in real dollars. It's the natives who hate it here the most, and we get tired of losing all of our friends because they can't stand scraping by any longer. Seriously, what future does Florida hold for a young couple looking for a nice house to raise kids? A good friend of mine just informed me he's moving to Tennessee because his company has relocated there. I have one long time friend left in Florida. Want to know the funny thing? EVERYONE who I know who moved from here has done better. They all want me to move to their states, Minnesota, Indiana, Alabama, Kentucky, Ohio, Tennessee, North Dakota, Georgia. Yes they have problems there too. But Florida is the all time worst place, for all of them. This area does not have a bright future because for the first time in my life I hear people say they are moving for financial reasons. In the past it was for work, or to get away from the weather but now it's because professionals, even with Graduate degrees can't make it. You optimists are burying your heads in the sand while Florida goes down the tubes.

Old 11-12-2006, 11:15 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Positive reputation! Great post and I agree totally! Doesnt other areas like CA, NJ and VA have that problem?

Old 11-13-2006, 01:25 AM

9,366 posts, read 14,316,531 times
If you have to look for a job and hope to earn enough income to rent comfortably - buying is out of the question right now - then it may not be a good idea.

If you have a particular skill and know through your own personal contacts and research that there is a particular, well-paying job waiting for you, or at least that the prospects are very good, then by all means come on down.

In short, "trying to make it" on hope is not going to make it anymore nowadays, the US is no longer the land of easy opportunity, at least not the northeast or Florida or California; you need to be well armed with skills and contacts first, and then work for it.

So weigh up carefully what your real opportunities are in your current place of residence and what the prospects are for you, in your situation, in central Florida.

Some people in this thread have posted that Orlando receives no breezes whatsoever, others say that that they enjoy sea breezes in Orlando while relaxing poolside.

So again, you have to analyze your personal situation, and determine which way the breeze is blowing.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:39 AM

12 posts, read 45,251 times
I'm a Florida Native (45 years now) and a relatively new reader here.

Someone posted earlier that there is a lot of negativity on the Florida forum because people are more likely to post negative comments than positive ones.... but that is not true of every forum here. Go over and read the Tennessee page and you'll see a completely different attitude! The people living there are HAPPY and sharing positive comments on a daily basis. The difference in the "mood" of the two forums is amazing!

I had already decided to move to Tennesse before finding this website (after many hours of research and visiting), but the positive comments there from folks who had left Florida really clinched the deal for me.

My daughter and son-in-law leave next week for an area south of Nashville, and I'm joining them as soon as I sell my home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida