Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 08:07 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,217,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
And that's why I am hoping for a monster hurricane. Something to shake up and scare away the people with more money than common sense. I am thinking, though, that the chickens will come home to roost and this ridiculous real estate bubble will implode, taking the fools with it. Want to know why we are angry? Think how you would feel if you were uncertain if you could survive the future on your stagnant or falling income.
That's cold. A monster hurricane would do much more than shake up and scare away people, thousands could die. Why not just wish for a major meltdown at a nuclear plant?

Old 03-19-2007, 08:56 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
And that's why I am hoping for a monster hurricane. Something to shake up and scare away the people with more money than common sense. I am thinking, though, that the chickens will come home to roost and this ridiculous real estate bubble will implode, taking the fools with it. Want to know why we are angry? Think how you would feel if you were uncertain if you could survive the future on your stagnant or falling income.
Oh please. Some people in the expensive homes have worked and saved their whole lives to buy that dream home on the water. Most others, however, are so rich they couldn't care what happens. "Scared away"? Oh sure.... right back to one of their half dozen other houses scattered around the Country. Their house blows away and they'll be the first to be paid by insurance companies. Meanwhile, the residents lower down the economic totem pole have to bear the brunt of that "monster hurricane," lose everything, be stuck with the bill to clean up, have their lives upturned and devastated.....

All for....? what? lower taxes? More "affordable housing"? It's a terrible thing to wish for. Might as well wish for sea levels to rise so the keys will be flooded and then nobody will charge you taxes at all on land that doesn't exist!

Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 AM

923 posts, read 3,513,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
I gave you some negative responses and there true. Based on more information, I'd say you're all right.

I would not plop myself down in the middle of Tampa or Orlando and look for a job, however you have a place closer to the beach which is the only true reason to move here IMO.

Having said that, a lot of people in Florida have been accustomed to living near beaches for next to nothing and inland for nothing. Those days are over.

Coming from the northeast, it's still very reasonable here, the kicker is wages, benefits and job security.

Since you have a place to land, you're fine.

Go to the coast and find the area you like best and try to find a job near there. Then get an apartment near the beach, (don't listen to people that say you can't, look).

Lakes here aren't like up north. Take your dog for a walk near the lake and you might turn around and find an empty leash.

If you can enjoy the beach on a regular basis, it's worth it. Otherwise not, in my opinion.

Ask your mom to ask around about jobs. A good job can make all the difference.

Lots of great beach areas with younger girls etc. from Jacksonville to Cocoa Beach.

You might make a few bucks more in Orlando, but is it worth it? How much would you pay in NY for warm beach access 6 months a year?

Good Luck. You've got some safeguard's so I think you'll have a hell of a good time.
Tampa Red is Right-on...

Old 03-19-2007, 09:46 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,381 times
This seriously must be a joke, or written simply for shock 'n awe. No one in their right mind would wish for death and destruction upon innocent people. My family's been through times of plenty and times of famine. We go get second jobs, not post wishes of death and destruction. Perhaps you should contact your Pastor or a counselor.

Quote:

Old 03-19-2007, 02:42 PM

1,599 posts, read 2,948,835 times
Just look at Katrina. Did that solve any problems for the people of New Orleans? I want to stay in Florida, not be forced to leave and be unable to return like all the people in the gulf states.

I don't think a housing market crash is a good thing in any way either. A correction is needed and is already happening, but as a home owner, I don't want to see all my equity going down the toilet. Or anybody else's.

So, without wishing destuction or bankrupcy on anyone, I am hoping that the government and private companies will start doing what they need to do and START PAYING PEOPLE. My husband works for a world-class handbag company whose main facility is in New York. Why doesn't he make close to what his peers make in New York? Because the company is greedy and knows it can get away with paying it's Florida employees like dirt in comparison.

That's my question.... Florida is not a cheap state to live in anymore like it used to be. It never will be again. Why are the salaries so discordant with the cost of living?

Ya, wealthy people coming from other places have an impact on the housing market, but it still doesn't expain the low wages, that I can see. And not just housing has gone up in price here. Food, entertainment, clothing, gas are all as expensive as they are up north. These all used to be significantly cheaper than in other places.

Anyway, I hope to stay in Florida for a long time and that the local economy begins to balance out somehow.

Old 03-19-2007, 03:47 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
This seriously must be a joke, or written simply for shock 'n awe. No one in their right mind would wish for death and destruction upon innocent people. My family's been through times of plenty and times of famine. We go get second jobs, not post wishes of death and destruction. Perhaps you should contact your Pastor or a counselor.
There's no way that I am going to take on any more work, the business keeps me busy weekdays and sometimes weekends. What's the sense to live in a state where you can't even afford to enjoy it? You should not get mad at me, I have no control over the hurricanes. But if I did you bet I would have let Katrina or Wilma stew a little bit longer before going over Miami. So much has been lost in Florida that I am willing to put my own home in harm's way just to turn this place around. Do you really want to spend every waking hour slaving just for your place in the sun?

For all of you who think Florida is always going to be expensive I feel sorry for you. It's attitudes like that which mean this state is already lost. So sad.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,195,122 times
Quote:
There's no way that I am going to take on any more work, the business keeps me busy weekdays and sometimes weekends. What's the sense to live in a state where you can't even afford to enjoy it? You should not get mad at me, I have no control over the hurricanes. But if I did you bet I would have let Katrina or Wilma stew a little bit longer before going over Miami. So much has been lost in Florida that I am willing to put my own home in harm's way just to turn this place around. Do you really want to spend every waking hour slaving just for your place in the sun?

For all of you who think Florida is always going to be expensive I feel sorry for you. It's attitudes like that which mean this state is already lost. So sad.
IM just guessing but I would say if what you wish for was to happen. It would devalue property and developers would come here and buy it up as fast as they could. When they were done you would have a place that would make what we have now look like the good old days. You think you can't afford to live here now, let them really get started and they will have every local politician in their pockets even more so then they do now. Taxes will go sky high to pay for new roads and utilities this place would be priced off the map and Really only be for the rich.

The only jobs other then construction, which no local workers would ever get, they will bring in cheap labor brought in, will be service jobs just like it is now with an even higher cost of living. Most investment will not even come from this country, we will be sold to foreigner investors, paid with the money they are already stealing from us now. I am just using my crystal ball but that does not sound like a very bright future. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:52 PM

41 posts, read 215,639 times
Default bad florida

if you like lots of traffic,lots of people,lots of languages,houses trown together in a few weeks so close to the next one you can touch them both at the same time,then florida is for you..me i had enough..ill never go back..good luck

Old 03-19-2007, 07:38 PM

460 posts, read 2,344,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
yes, i have been to new jersey (briefly) but have also read some really horrible reviews about new jersey, especially on the website www.rateitall.com. as far as "crooked" is concerned, i do not mean hunched over and walking with a cane, i mean that, from what i have heard and read, new jerseyans are not very nice people, and sadly of course, i live in illinois and illinoisans are, like, totally rude and unfriendly people.
hmmmm, I have lived in Illinois for 25 years now and we are NOT totally rude people! Geez, where did you visit....Chicago?? I am from central Illinois and people here are pretty nice, they will go out of thier way to help you if you need it. Unless you have LIVED here, please dont put us all in one category!

Old 03-19-2007, 07:44 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,908,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songgirl View Post
Just look at Katrina. Did that solve any problems for the people of New Orleans? I want to stay in Florida, not be forced to leave and be unable to return like all the people in the gulf states.

I don't think a housing market crash is a good thing in any way either. A correction is needed and is already happening, but as a home owner, I don't want to see all my equity going down the toilet. Or anybody else's.

So, without wishing destuction or bankrupcy on anyone, I am hoping that the government and private companies will start doing what they need to do and START PAYING PEOPLE. My husband works for a world-class handbag company whose main facility is in New York. Why doesn't he make close to what his peers make in New York? Because the company is greedy and knows it can get away with paying it's Florida employees like dirt in comparison.

That's my question.... Florida is not a cheap state to live in anymore like it used to be. It never will be again. Why are the salaries so discordant with the cost of living?

Ya, wealthy people coming from other places have an impact on the housing market, but it still doesn't expain the low wages, that I can see. And not just housing has gone up in price here. Food, entertainment, clothing, gas are all as expensive as they are up north. These all used to be significantly cheaper than in other places.

Anyway, I hope to stay in Florida for a long time and that the local economy begins to balance out somehow.
This is why the wages won't go up. In some parts of South Florida, housing costs have risen so high that blue-collar workers have moved away. Why pay for workers when you get them cheap, house them in a one room shack, and send them home when you don't need them anymore. Its not just the low wage housekeeper anymore. Its the white and blue-collar workers. Alot of companies are doing this now. Its all about the bottom line. Why pay 100k when you can have the same worker for 30k. This might be good for the CEO but its very bad news for the middle class worker.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17691144/

Last edited by firemed; 03-19-2007 at 08:07 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida