Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 04:10 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
maybe it's because of those crooked illinoisans and new jerseyans that always want to be left alone and want absolutely nothing to do with the community around them that portray people saying "hi" to them as being "rude." also, there are a lot of mexicans and cubans living especially in miami that have had it with the dictators of their home countries making their lives hell on earth, and apparently, not many people like to even give cubans and mexicans a chance to make friends and be happy. i mean, true, illegal immigration is a problem down there, but from my point of view, the far bigger problem that causes illegal immigration is the fact that the countries that the immigrants are coming from are just downright terrible. their former countries are run by very hard dictatorships, many dictators will even massacre anyone who tries to change the government (i am sure you have all heard and read about fidel castro). and those people are just completely tired of living under a dictator, especially one who rules their country with an iron fist. also, it seems that too many people are not thin blooded enough to live down there and never realize that, in fact, on many occasions, july and august are practically hotter in the great plains and in the midwest than in florida.
What dictator in Mexico would you be talking about?

Old 11-14-2006, 07:10 AM

12 posts, read 72,196 times
Sanford - When the world needs an enima, Sanford will be the insertion point.

Lots of crime, lots of drugs (around 'the barn')

The jobs in the area are a joke, they don't pay enough and the people are truly rude.

I can honestly say this because i lived on lake 'mo bro' and it totally sucked.

Not too mention the love bugs and midges - at times they are so thick that you cannot see the lights at the convience stores.

Do yourself a favor and seriously look at a different area than the sanford area.

best of luck

Old 11-14-2006, 09:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,320 times
Default Florida from four points

I've lived in FL off and on for most of my life. I've lived all over the southern US border except Mississippi and Arizona. My favorite place to live was Texas, but I digress.

Central Florida
Space Coast I lived in Titusville during the height of the Space Shuttle. I'd say the Space industry has declined enough to leave that part of Florida fairly depressed. Good place for a family or retiree, but not singles. The beaches are pretty, but the lifestyle is slow.
Orlando. I dated a girl from O-town and her biggest complaint was the massive influx of latinos, and she's not the type to be bigoted. The Mexican population has exploded, and they really don't try to adapt. Their culture tends to make them isolate themselves which in itself causes them to be isolated. Traffic is really bad around the tourist areas.
South Florida - Great to visit, but I'd never live there again. I lived in Dania Beach, north of Miami. It's just too expensive and the fast lifestyle wears a lot of people down. Most young people I know partied there but had to leave to make a life. It can suck you in if you are weak as I've seen quite a few people get stuck in the wrong crowd. The economy is polarized - no middle class. So that makes for lots of crime and rich people with high-end security systems.

North Florida - My current home is Jacksonville. Jacksonville is growing quickly and is probably the biggest bang for your buck. It's very family oriented, but there's a few colleges here that keep young people in the mix. There is some choice in nightlife: Beaches, San Marco, Riverside. The beaches are nice if you are into that. St. Augustine is a rock throw away and is a cute little tourist trap. Lots of the "redneck" population are cashing out on their property and moving out and yuppies are moving in. I see a lot of South Florida people relocating here. Crime is horrible on the Northside. I hate to sound racist, but it is your typical drug infested ghetto. The city is working hard to clean it up. English is spoken everywhere, unlike South Florida and parts of Orlando. Jacksonville is a very successful melting pot, where I think Central and South Florida have failed.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:11 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,749,371 times
This has got to be the best comment on this subject! Thanks for an honest evaluation of our state.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:41 PM
s01

29 posts, read 115,604 times
Also- take another look at this posting 'Here's a quote on Insurance for you'
Ouch.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:50 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,572,640 times
Default Yup, that's no lie

Getting pretty expensive here to live, and for what? Sunshine and warm breezes?? I'd rather be back up north near family and friends. Real friends, not the phony ones that are down here.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:53 PM

Default Here you go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
maybe it's because of those crooked illinoisans and new jerseyans that always want to be left alone and want absolutely nothing to do with the community around them that portray people saying "hi" to them as being "rude." also, there are a lot of mexicans and cubans living especially in miami that have had it with the dictators of their home countries making their lives hell on earth, and apparently, not many people like to even give cubans and mexicans a chance to make friends and be happy. i mean, true, illegal immigration is a problem down there, but from my point of view, the far bigger problem that causes illegal immigration is the fact that the countries that the immigrants are coming from are just downright terrible. their former countries are run by very hard dictatorships, many dictators will even massacre anyone who tries to change the government (i am sure you have all heard and read about fidel castro). and those people are just completely tired of living under a dictator, especially one who rules their country with an iron fist. also, it seems that too many people are not thin blooded enough to live down there and never realize that, in fact, on many occasions, july and august are practically hotter in the great plains and in the midwest than in florida.
Have you ever been to New Jersey? How do you know that the people there are crooked? Do they walk hunched over??? Do they use a cane?
They want to be left alone? Wouldn't you if your neighbors only used you when they needed something? Or how about when they laugh at the way you talk? Better yet, maybe they don't want to be surrounded by a bunch of people that do not know how to smile and just demand everything their way.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:08 PM

48 posts, read 222,510 times
Default Just 1 thing to say....

Good God you guys are bitter!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:13 PM

Default This is what happens when you are around phony people

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabound View Post
Good God you guys are bitter!
Really, we thought we had friends but they only used us.
People don't mix well down here. Especially if you are not their type.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:43 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayp19777 View Post
alot of people from this forum r so negative about florida? i wanna move to central florida with my mom and everyone here is making it seem like the worst decision i coule ever make? im really frightened for real. i feel like if i move to florida(central, sanford) im setting my self up for misery, unhappiness and failure. is florida really that horrible and is the pay and jobs really as horific as everyone make it seem? is florida a place for a person in there mid 20's or is it a place for retirees? talk to me!everyone just makes it seem like its wonderfull for retirees but not good for young people trieng to make it
Florida is a great place to visit but oh so totally different to live in, unless you are born & raised here. Just my opinion...

I have lived here since 1991, on the west coast (read muggy, soggy, humid & moldy) on a barrier island. I've built a home on Tampa Bay while married and roughed it in a duplex a block from the beach after getting divorced...roughed it meaning: the landlord back north had no desire to take care of the mold growing in the carpeting or A/C and with the active hurricane seasons, it just got too much to bear to keep moving boxes and boarding windows.

We've had the influx of the strangest characters ever since I've been coming here for spring break from college (early '80's)...spring break is no longer but the people who work here wouldn't know it. The first question at many a job interview is, "can you be here at 9 a.m.?" duh...well, I"m originally from Detroit, have lived in NYC (totally miss it), and Morgantown, WV, before coming to Florida....

I don't want to scare you but with rising housing, insurance & the low pay scale here, unless you've got a job that pays (read $50K and higher) you may just be able to afford your little condo which is running about $150K....unless you make over $100K, forget about owning a home....as in the last three years, they have more than doubled....i.e. mom just bought a home in Dec. 0f 2003 for $150K...now it's $300K....ok?....

Don't feel bad, I want to move to AZ to be in the same state as my sons but I'm hearing just as bad of things about that place....

They've raised the prices in Orlando at the theme parks that it's unbelieveable...you don't need to book a hotel...they're empty and easy to find....just watch old for the mold....That's the worst...this whole state is molding....a lot of the boom took place back in the early 70's and all those condos and hotels/motels are saturated in mold because no one told absentee owners how to take care of their Florida homes & the hotel/motel industry really didn't care as each week brought new tourists....it's showing in people's health these days....

Personally, I was up in the panhandle and it's beautiful and more old florida around Appalachicola......there's not a lot of industry so there's not a lot of people......at this moment, the west coast is building east into the swampland just as the east coast built into Alligator Alley...you all familiar with that know what I'm talking about....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida