Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 11:42 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times

Advertisements

There's nothing to brag about when much of the growth is reflected via mowing down greenspace for limitless convenience stores, gas stations and fast food establishments. Florida at large has always acted as if natural resources were unlimited and welcomed deforestation as if it was saving us from the fate of not being able to destroy everything in our path. Other neighboring states (GA, SC and AL for example) seem to have caught on to how to grow at a sustainable pace while maintaining positive diversified economic growth. I can only hope Florida will figure it out before it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 11:48 AM

892 posts, read 861,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There's nothing to brag about when much of the growth is reflected via mowing down greenspace for limitless convenience stores, gas stations and fast food establishments. Florida at large has always acted as if natural resources were unlimited and welcomed deforestation as if it was saving us from the fate of not being able to destroy everything in our path. Other neighboring states (GA, SC and AL for example) seem to have caught on to how to grow at a sustainable pace while maintaining positive diversified economic growth. I can only hope Florida will figure it out before it's too late.
GA, SC and AL are not growing anywhere near the pace of Florida. When they reach population density near Florida's level, we can begin to compare.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:04 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,345,057 times
My family moved here in the early 1980's when Florida was a much different place. I don't mind the population growth but I have issues with uncontrolled development. For example my family originally came to Ft. Myers/Lee County area. Back when we first arrived to about the mid 90's Lee County was a beautiful area. Beaches to the west, river down the mid and north county and natural Florida to the east. It was unspoiled natural beauty. Than starting in about the mid 90's into the mid 2000's we saw explosive growth. The problem was it seemed very unregulated. Homes were being built in the east side of the county with no planning for infrastructure, natural areas were being stripped away (here today gone tomorrow), and there just seem to be no rhyme and reason to quality of life or safety. Now in places like Lehigh many streets are unpaved, no street lights, and flood during summer storms. Most homes are still on well water and septic tanks and kids walk blocks to busy intersections to wait for the the bus. I know most people came down for the allure of cheap housing and new life, but many found substandard quality of life and few jobs. It broke my heart to see my hometown during the mid 2000's, now most of my family has relocated to Central Florida. The area is slowly recovering but it still saddens me when I got to places that used to be pristine beaches and I see an unfinished condo on the horizon.

In Central Florida the growth was a little better controlled but still resulted in massive sprawl. I understand people want to move to Florida to buy their own little piece of paradise but if we keep "paving paradise to put up a parking lot" there will be no more of what brings people to Florida. It's time to build denser smarter, just because we have land doesn't mean we need to use it.

Finally I want to address the perception of Florida has not culture. Before the population boom here I felt like Florida did have it's own unique identity. Growing up, Florida was much more southern (country) in culture. But we also spent alot more time in school being taught about our Florida "roots." For example, I grew up learning about the Calusa Indians who inhabited SWFL way before Columbus. We learned about the fountain of youth, Ponce De Leon, General Lee and the cattle and citrus barons of Florida. Just about everyone in my generation took a field trip to St. Augustine. Nowadays I don't think kids are taught any of this in school, most of their teachers are probably unaware of it. Than you have people coming here from other places who think Florida just appeared in the mid 80s as a snow bird sanctuary. I think if we went back to teaching more about Florida history the generations going forward would have a greater sense of identity.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:13 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
GA, SC and AL are not growing anywhere near the pace of Florida. When they reach population density near Florida's level, we can begin to compare.
It's not about the amount of growth, it's about the quality. More isn't always better....

Old 04-20-2016, 12:24 PM

892 posts, read 861,061 times
Quote:
It's not about the amount of growth, it's about the quality. More isn't always better....
You obviously didn't understand what I said.

Old 04-20-2016, 07:47 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
kyle this also has to do with politics and how when Rick Scott was elected he abolished the Department of Community Affairs in 2011.

Here is some info on this :
Land Use Planning Takes a Step Back in Florida | The Beacon

From above :

"Florida was a pioneer in state-wide land use planning when the state passed its Growth Management Act in 1985."

"One of the key provisions in Florida’s Growth Management Act was its concurrency doctrine, which required various types of infrastructure—but mostly, roads—to be available concurrent with any new development. If roads in the vicinity of a proposed development were already congested, either additional capacity had to be added, or the development would not be approved. The concurrency requirement was a substantial impediment to further development in urban areas."

Our state hasn't always been reckless in development but it is now under Skeletor's leadership. Most Floridians were asleep at the wheel when Scott got rid of the DCA in 2011 which should be re-instated since it has worked well for our state regarding development and this isn't a partisanship issue either.

Having regulations for how our state develops should be devoid of politics. Just look at the horrible floods in Houston lately where they pride themselves at not having any Zoning regulations within the city.

As for comparing us to neighboring states ( SC and AL ) they don't have comparable population growth rates though. The Miami metro alone at 6 million plus people is larger than the entire population of both states !
If I had to look at horrible sprawl in this state that award goes to the Orlando metro area which is low density in every direction.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:30 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,304 times
Used to keep a rental in Coco beach; it was $70 a month. Now back there, believe it ir not a few relatively nice places are still cheap, older adult, but nice and safe. Nothing in Florida is cheap anymore.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PABC View Post
I'm NF [native Floridian] and to be brutally honest with you all, the majority of today's migrants moving to Florida are garbage. Not all of them, but certainly most of them. People [kids] I grew up with avoid people from the NY-NJ area. Anyone with a thick accent is unwritten code "to be on guard". If you have a thick accent and you are aggressive, it will be hard to make friends with long time Florida locals. Those folks I'm describing are better off in So. Florida where you can blend in with all the other transients, immigrants and migrants. Unfortunately a lot of Florida has scams and scammers, especially So. Florida. Local Floridians know all too well about this. Back 30+ years ago Floridians were open to anyone at anytime but things have changed the last 30 years.
They do not seem to mind southern accents.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:20 PM

499 posts, read 587,204 times
Quote:
I'm NF [native Floridian] and to be brutally honest with you all, the majority of today's migrants moving to Florida are garbage. Not all of them, but certainly most of them. People [kids] I grew up with avoid people from the NY-NJ area. Anyone with a thick accent is unwritten code "to be on guard". If you have a thick accent and you are aggressive, it will be hard to make friends with long time Florida locals. Those folks I'm describing are better off in So. Florida where you can blend in with all the other transients, immigrants and migrants. Unfortunately a lot of Florida has scams and scammers, especially So. Florida. Local Floridians know all too well about this. Back 30+ years ago Floridians were open to anyone at anytime but things have changed the last 30 years.
What makes you think that transplants want to be friends with "long time Florida locals" anyway? The "NFs" or whatever you call yourselves are generally miserable people who whine and complain constantly. It's really quite pathetic. Have a little self-respect and quit acting like a bunch of crybabies

Old 04-21-2016, 06:38 AM

167 posts, read 165,402 times
Quote:
This is an old wive's tale or myth about NFs and southern accents. I, nor any of my friends I grew up with have southern accents. NONE. We have no accent. Many NFs sound like people from California or the Southwest U.S. Perhaps you're thinking about folks up and around the Florida Panhandle.

Your probably dont THINK you do because you were around it all your life but get on a conference call full of New York corporate DBs and they will scoff at you im sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida