Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2017, 05:55 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Lol immigration needs to be changed but not restricted like trump wants. Many of the big tech companies were founded or are currently run by immigrants. We should switch to merit based like Canada.

Btw, welfare recipients don't pick tomatoes or oranges unfortunately so we need immigrants for that whether you like to admit that or not
The issue is not simply imigration it is.

1. Illegal immigration
2. Legal immigration for people who will accept good paying tech jobs at less pay than Americans who are graduating from college and can't get a job because of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 06:36 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post

1. Illegal immigration
2. Legal immigration for people who will accept good paying tech jobs at less pay than Americans who are graduating from college and can't get a job because of it.
#2 doesn't happen except in republican talking points...

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timei.../%3fsource=dam

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2015/07/20/...led-labor.html

Old 08-07-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Wanna bet. Many colleges now have foreign instructors pushing out the American ones. A friend from a major US college has seen almost all professors pushed out. Then try to get an intern position or residency. Oops Indians got them first.

Not a party issue a greed issue.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Wanna bet. Many colleges now have foreign instructors pushing out the American ones. A friend from a major US college has seen almost all professors pushed out. Then try to get an intern position or residency. Oops Indians got them first.

Yet we have a shortage of skilled workers here.... something doesn't add up

Old 08-07-2017, 11:10 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:

I agree. The university I went to had professors like that. My web design one and the math department. I had a friend taking college algebra and had to drop the class because the Indian teacher was almost impossible to understand.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:35 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownKnight View Post
I never tried to compare Idaho to Florida directly. You said people aren't moving to Idaho because of the weather, and that's false. Lots of people are moving to Idaho right now. It may not be growing at the pace of Florida, but again I never tried to make the statement that it was.
Well, I'd be happy to spread some Idaho Chamber of Commerce signs touting the advantages and joys of living in Idaho around this neck of the woods, hoping that the throngs moving to Florida will decide Idaho, not Florida, is their Utopia. Those signs might be especially attractive to transplants despairing of life in Florida during the hot, humid and rainy summers.

Seriously, although I have never been to Idaho and have no plans to move out of FL (been here 40 yrs), I can appreciate the natural beauty of the mountains and other natural resources there. I can also understand why people wanting to escape the vicissitudes of CA, and other uber-liberal (and in some cases, extremely crowded) states would choose Idaho as their destination.

Also seems to me that people looking to relocate from the coastal western US states would gravitate to states not so far away, such as Idaho, Colorado, and so on, rather than states on the US eastern coast. OTOH, seems to me folks from the northeast looking to get out would gravitiate to states on their side of the country.

Old 08-08-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
I agree. The university I went to had professors like that. My web design one and the math department. I had a friend taking college algebra and had to drop the class because the Indian teacher was almost impossible to understand.
But, the ones at the administrative level were all Americans, they just saved money for the school by hiring foreign teachers and ... got nice raises.

Old 08-11-2017, 05:51 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
It is easy enough to offshore tech work. India has an Indian company that is offshoring to Malaysia as they are cheaper than Indian developers.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
It is easy enough to offshore tech work. India has an Indian company that is offshoring to Malaysia as they are cheaper than Indian developers.
Yup, as Chinese workers become middle class, they are losing out on jobs to lower wage Vietnamese lol

Old 08-12-2017, 05:28 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,342,083 times
Quote:
Yup, as Chinese workers become middle class, they are losing out on jobs to lower wage Vietnamese lol
The Chinese are also buying up lots of property in the US too. They're the number one nationality buying property, especially in Florida, California, and Texas. Probably why you see apartment rents going up and housing rent as well.

China is producing a lot of wealthy people who are now investing their money here in the US with property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida