Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 07:38 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
that would cause the state to be in a different time zone than the rest of the east coast states and cause all kinds of havoc for airlines, commerce, business communication and probably cost us a ton in economic losses
I can't imagine a business that it would cause havoc for. Airlines have to deal with US and European daylight savings time and they get out of sync for a couple of weeks each year.

I thought the idea of daylight savings time was to allow elementary school kids to walk to school in daylight. This may have been a concern when kids walked to school and the area was far enough north that sunrise changes a lot through the year. In the semi tropics of Florida this isn't a concern.

If you are really concerned with time zone issues, you can get an app for your phone that will tell you the time anywhere. On Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2017, 02:19 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
So you're saying the whole country should be on NYC time...because the financial markets are on that time?

wouldn't be practical, would it?

Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post

If you are really concerned with time zone issues, you can get an app for your phone that will tell you the time anywhere. On Earth.
that's not the issue

Old 12-01-2017, 02:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I would LOVE not to turn my clock ahead in the fall and keep that extra hour of daylight!
Senator files bill to get rid of daylight saving time in Florida for good - abcactionnews.com WFTS-TV
Theres 24 hours in the day no matter what you do with your clock,

Old 12-01-2017, 10:58 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I hope it passes. I have always hated those time changes, and never thought they served any purpose.

Old 12-01-2017, 01:21 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredesch View Post
I can't imagine a business that it would cause havoc for. Airlines have to deal with US and European daylight savings time and they get out of sync for a couple of weeks each year.

I thought the idea of daylight savings time was to allow elementary school kids to walk to school in daylight. This may have been a concern when kids walked to school and the area was far enough north that sunrise changes a lot through the year. In the semi tropics of Florida this isn't a concern.

I walked to school as a kid, but I would never allow my kid to walk to school if it was even a bit dark as sunrise does not mean bright light. There are a LOT of scummy people around now targeting kids and they are a bit more careful in broad daylight..

Old 12-01-2017, 03:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
So you're saying the whole country should be on NYC time...because the financial markets are on that time?
Actually, that's a pretty good idea. The problem would be getting those on the west coast, for instance, to get used to working twelve to eight rather than nine to five. Probably better to put everyone on Central time so no one would have to get used to more than a two hour change. You'd still go to work or school at the same time of day, only the clock would show a different time.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:09 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,142,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Actually, that's a pretty good idea. The problem would be getting those on the west coast, for instance, to get used to working twelve to eight rather than nine to five. Probably better to put everyone on Central time so no one would have to get used to more than a two hour change. You'd still go to work or school at the same time of day, only the clock would show a different time.
Ah no https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greenwich_Mean_Time is the universal time. But there is no reason to not have the zones and there is no reason Florida shouldn't opt out of daylight savings time. As someone mentioned the western panhandle is in the central time zone and the universe functions fine. You could even have the Eastern part of Florida not use DST and central time zone Florida be on DST and the universe would still work fine.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 AM

486 posts, read 654,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlestix View Post
I would LOVE not to turn my clock ahead in the fall and keep that extra hour of daylight!
Senator files bill to get rid of daylight saving time in Florida for good - abcactionnews.com WFTS-TV
You don't turn your clock ahead in the fall, you turn it back an hour. Spring forward, fall back. He's getting rid of that extra hour in the evening you enjoy all summer so it'll be dark at 7 PM in July instead of 8 PM. No more barbecues after work.

Now, if he wants to put us on DST permanently, year around, I'm all for it. I can't get my horse fed before it's too dark to see him from November through May.

Otherwise, the man is an idiot. And, no, I don't care if the kids have to get on the bus in the dark. Easy cure, start school/work an hour later, permanently. The fool who decided the world should start to function at 7:00 or 8:00 AM should be shot, quartered, and hung. Some of us don't function at the buttcrack of dawn.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,360 times
I like the time we have now.
Seems like the time change is backwards and we would want it to get darker earlier in the summer when the weather is hotter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: