Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 03:53 PM

24 posts, read 40,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
H-E-B's Central Market concept is a niche store, like Publix's Greenwise concept. One cannot compare niche retailers to regular retailers. They operate with different business models and target different sets of consumers. OP's complaint is they expect Publix to be niche like Central Market. I don't know where in FL the OP lives, but there are options popping up all over: Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Trader Joes, Lucky Market, Sprouts. There are alternatives out there. Publix is a standard grocer known for solid customer service and quality offerings.

OP may also find that as a n00b to FL, their argument may gain more traction if they'd tone down their condescending attitude. I too have been to Texas. Loved it there. If FL isn't for you, I-10 does run west.
You all can keep making excuses for Publix until the cows come home, but I will say that HEB/CM are not "niche" grocery stores. As I have said 10 times, they are conventional grocery stores that cater to the general public in Texas. Low earners and high earners. As I have said 10 times, they carry high end and low end food and other products with prices that are lower than Fresh Market, Publix, Whole Foods, Ralphs, Safeway, etc.

They are Walmart, Safeway, Fresh Market and Whole Foods rolled into one. And doesn't that sound perfect?

The only "niche" that HEB/CM belongs in is the niche of perfecting the CONVENTIONAL grocery store model.

It is a "niche" that every conventional grocer should aspire to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 04:17 PM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
You all can keep making excuses for Publix until the cows come home, but I will say that HEB/CM are not "niche" grocery stores. As I have said 10 times, they are conventional grocery stores that cater to the general public in Texas. Low earners and high earners. As I have said 10 times, they carry high end and low end food and other products with prices that are lower than Fresh Market, Publix, Whole Foods, Ralphs, Safeway, etc.

They are Walmart, Safeway, Fresh Market and Whole Foods rolled into one. And doesn't that sound perfect?

The only "niche" that HEB/CM belongs in is the niche of perfecting the CONVENTIONAL grocery store model.

It is a "niche" that every conventional grocer should aspire to.
No one is really making excuses. Excuses for what? They are excelling at what they do. People are just stating facts: It is wildly popular in Florida, as well as in pretty much every other territory it steps into. What they do, they do well enough to sustain a solid business model, and are constantly ranked among the top grocery chains in the nation by pretty much all outlets.

Old 06-15-2018, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 9,628 times
Publix is so expensive. I always go to Aldi

Old 06-16-2018, 06:05 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Why are there no "Greenwise" stores in Sarasota? This market is saturated with all of the smaller specialty organic stores - we have TWO Whole Foods, Fresh Market, Lucky's, Sprouts and Trader Joes. And Earth Fare is coming. Seems like Publix would want to compete on that score.
It's difficult to compete with grocers like Whole Foods, Earth Fare, Lucky's and Sprouts when your business model isn't as stringent for a consumer group that cares about such things. Here's the Greenwise requirements:

USDA Organic or made with at least 70% organic ingredients or made without artificial preservatives, flavors, or colors; may contain colors from natural sources. Raised without antibiotics or added hormones; (federal regulations already prohibit the use of added hormones in poultry and pork, so not exactly earth shattering); all GreenWise meats are fed a 100% vegetarian diet (as is 90% or more of all livestock including conventionally raised), Non-food products that make an environmental claim on the package (a "claim" is good enough).

Old 06-16-2018, 06:20 AM

330 posts, read 249,569 times
I haven't been impressed with Greenwise.

Old 06-16-2018, 09:31 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,415,174 times
Publix,~ Where SHOPPING is Expensive ~

Their Corporate LOGO.

In the South East region of the Sunshine State, their Customer Service is Horrendous and their employees all with Sad Faces and never even a hello !!!

If there was a Regional Rating for Supermarkets here, they'd come close to DEAD LAST.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Branal View Post
I haven't been impressed with Greenwise.
Their ice cream is quite good for a non-premium product- still a good size and no HFCS

Old 06-16-2018, 03:02 PM

330 posts, read 249,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Their ice cream is quite good for a non-premium product- still a good size and no HFCS
Meh.

Old 06-17-2018, 07:00 AM

17,210 posts, read 15,412,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Their lamb is amazing

Old 06-17-2018, 09:55 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,751,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfloridian41 View Post
If you have never been in an H-E-B or Central Market, then you are not qualified to opine about it.

H-E-B/Central Market ARE conventional grocery stores, not like Fresh Market or Whole Foods. They are the size of a Walmart Supercenter, with all the cheap stuff that Walmart carries, PLUS all the fancy stuff at Fresh Market, PLUS all the organics at Whole Foods. In other words, if you go to H-E-B, you never have to go anywhere else.

At H-E-B you can buy your gourmet pies made with butter and fresh fruit, not artificial junk (Whole Foods) and your one dollar Rubbermaid plastic storage (Walmart) and your painting supplies (Walmart) and your organic steaks (Whole Foods) and your Made-in-Spain almond butter (Fresh Market). They have everything low-end and everything high-end.

Try that at Publix or Greenwise!
I have been to an HEB in Houston.....

Anyway, HEB is a very fine store, like I said before. However, that doesn't make Publix a bad store. Publix is doing well in the markets they serve. As far as price is concerned, Publix exists OUTSIDE OF FLORIDA where there is significantly more competition, and they charge the same prices in those other markets and are able to keep the stores open. Perhaps they understand the notion that "competing on price is a race to the bottom." Walmart will always win that battle on national brand items and Aldi will win on generics.

According to articles in the Business Journal, Publix had been talking about trying to build small format stores so they can build in downtowns and beachside communities for years. They finally premiere that store in 2017 in downtown St. Pete and Gainesville. Guess what the hottest thing in grocery was in 2017? Small format stores like Sprouts, Lucky's, etc. So, Publix did a good job of paying attention to its market. Meanwhile, Wegmans and now HEB fans complain about Publix being too small and limited. Apparently, Millennials aren't into mega stores.

If Publix decided to enter the Houston market, I don't think they would target HEB. They would target Kroger, Albertsons, Safeway (Randall's), Fiesta, etc. That's what people *in the industry* think will happen when Publix and Wegmans are finally in the same market.

https://www.retailwire.com/discussio...mpete-head-on/

And by the way, the Wegmans crowd probably thinks HEB is trash, because nothing in their eyes is better. I wonder if there is a thread on C-D about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida