Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 08:45 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,395,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA70 View Post
And then we figure out how rediculously hot it is and flock BACK to where we came...
No. Statistics show you never quite make it back. You go to the Carolinas, Tennessee, or some other half way point whose charm used to lay in that it was unspoiled and cheap. Soon the Carolinians will be running away from their own state, complaining they don't recognize it anymore, and the newcomers will alternate between complaining that "In FLAHRIDA we did it THIS way...." and "In New Yawk, the pizza and bagels are so much better than this!"

Old 10-07-2009, 11:15 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No. Statistics show you never quite make it back. You go to the Carolinas, Tennessee, or some other half way point whose charm used to lay in that it was unspoiled and cheap. Soon the Carolinians will be running away from their own state, complaining they don't recognize it anymore, and the newcomers will alternate between complaining that "In FLAHRIDA we did it THIS way...." and "In New Yawk, the pizza and bagels are so much better than this!"
Not from New Yawk... And I don't say FLAHRIDA.... It is Floriduh, get it right. besides, I wouldn't go to NC, SC, TN.... Statstically, I do not fall into that catagory of going "halfback". I am from the west end of MA, and talk normal, without an accident. I would like to go back there. I never cared how they did it in New yawk, or Out by Hahvahd yahd in Boston.... I like Florida, Florida qualities, and my end of MA....

Old 10-07-2009, 04:53 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times
Well, I AM a New Yorker. I want to get out of here and go ALL THE WAY BACK to New York. Half back? No way. I want COLD. Half back will not give me that. Half back will still give me a 5, 6, 7 hour drive from my KIDS.

Before anyone says anything, there are very few of us New Yorkers on the GULF COAST of Florida and the few that I have met, I HATE THEM. I want to live my life among REAL New Yorkers in NEW YORK, not those who think they are above all others because they live in "paradise". New Yorkers who live in Floreduh. You can take your paradise and can you put it where the sun doesn't shine, if that place exists in Floreduh.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
Well, I AM a New Yorker. I want to get out of here and go ALL THE WAY BACK to New York. Half back? No way. I want COLD. Half back will not give me that. Half back will still give me a 5, 6, 7 hour drive from my KIDS.

Before anyone says anything, there are very few of us New Yorkers on the GULF COAST of Florida and the few that I have met, I HATE THEM. I want to live my life among REAL New Yorkers in NEW YORK, not those who think they are above all others because they live in "paradise". New Yorkers who live in Floreduh. You can take your paradise and can you put it where the sun doesn't shine, if that place exists in Floreduh.
Well TAN you know that if we are from NY, or MA, these people who have no idea what they are talking about on here most of the time, judge us WRONGLY and have to make fun of us by typing out funny little jabs at where we are from by means of accents from our home states. When actually I have no Boston accent at all being I am from WESTERN MA, where we do not have them, it shows you who really knows what on City Data. Nothing like a good stereotype. I know people from NY, and NJ who have NO accent either. TRI just likes to start with me when he can, but it's all funny to me. Knows nothing about me so..... his opinions are squat.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:42 PM

Default I was born and raised in Manhattan

Quote:
Well TAN you know that if we are from NY, or MA, these people who have no idea what they are talking about on here most of the time, judge us WRONGLY and have to make fun of us by typing out funny little jabs at where we are from by means of accents from our home states. When actually I have no Boston accent at all being I am from WESTERN MA, where we do not have them, it shows you who really knows what on City Data. Nothing like a good stereotype. I know people from NY, and NJ who have NO accent either. TRI just likes to start with me when he can, but it's all funny to me. Knows nothing about me so..... his opinions are squat.
Most people here are clueless. They think I should speak like Tony Soprano or Fran Drescher. I worked in Fortune 500 Corps. in Manhattan and if I spoke like that, I would have been FIRED. My grandparents, my parents, or anyone I knew growing up, ever spoke like that.

They say to me here you are FROM WHERE? Sterotypes. Again, clueless.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:56 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,585,970 times
Default I'll take the cold

I've been in Florida for over 20 yrs coming from New Josey, and every year the heat is getting worse and worse as far as it affecting me, today walking out of Walmart 92 degrees, it hit me in the face I thought I would pass out.
Is this anyway to live and enjoy life, go from a air conditioned house, to a a/c car to a a/c store, then reverse it. Heck, give the the cool cool breezes of a autumn day in New Josey any day, and if it snows you make sure you have enough food and wait for the plows to clear the roads. Sorry folks if I ever get out of this God forsaken place, its not halfback for me, its all the way back to "cold" weather and goodbye sweltering heat.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
After living in Southern CA for twenty years and originally from NY yes I got used to a warmer climate. But this is too much....LOL.

I posted this before but driving around you never see anyone outside a good part of the year in neighborhoods. Everyone is inside with the A/C on.

I also don't think it can be very good for the body when you go from outside to go to the restaraunts and stores, then outside again. Then back inside.

You go from roasting to freezing cold to roasting all day here.

Other than those who have to be. I don't see how being inside a good part of the year due to extreme heat and humidity beats being stuck inside with cold weather for 3 months.

Do I like freezing cold weather, NO. But a couple of weeks ago we had a few days of high 70's and low 80's and very little humidity. It was heaven and felt like So Cal,of course it didn't last morw than two days. People were out in our area taking advantage of the cooler temps and low humidity.

You get a few months of nice weather here and hot and humid, lot of violent storms the rest of the year. I wouldn't call it paradise.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:35 PM

63 posts, read 248,441 times
Personally I love here. I even love our summers - and I mean it (not just b.s.) I was born in Fort Lauderdale and lived in Atlanta and in and around Boston and wouldn't leave. Everyone is different... I just don't understand why so many people move here and then act surprised when it is 92 with 90% humidity and a downpour in the afternoon in the middle of August. DUUHHHH... it has been this way since FL was discovered. Just like how New England has long, cold winters. I knew that going there, tried to like it but then again I didn't move there for the weather.

Quote:
You make a good point. When I lived in Boston, whenever someone mentioned Western MA, someone who chime in with "a bunch of rednecks without accents." I used to remember one of the radio stations playing banjo music whenever there was a news story "from the sticks." So, I guess the judging wrongly and stereotypes are pretty much everywhere. Sometimes, you just need to get think skin... especially on the Internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post

If there was a "Most miserable person on the Internet" award, you would win hands down. Not trying to be insulting, but I think you made it clear that you made a big mistake. I guess I can't understand why someone would move to FL, hate FL, move away, and then move back. Just a bit like "you asked for it," but then again life is funny like that and I'm sure I'll end up doing something silly like that myself (hopefully not but I can see ending up somewhere for something knowing I will hate it). I have personally met too many NYers on the Gulf Coast (with 1 being too many). Hahah. Don't get all angry now... lots of my good friends are from NY, met many of them when I went to school in Boston. They had a habit of invading the city kind of like they invaded the east coast of FL. I got used to them after awhile.

Last edited by jim09091; 10-09-2009 at 12:44 PM..

Old 10-09-2009, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim09091 View Post
Personally I love here. I even love our summers - and I mean it (not just b.s.) I was born in Fort Lauderdale and lived in Atlanta and in and around Boston and wouldn't leave. Everyone is different... I just don't understand why so many people move here and then act surprised when it is 92 with 90% humidity and a downpour in the afternoon in the middle of August. DUUHHHH... it has been this way since FL was discovered. Just like how New England has long, cold winters. I knew that going there, tried to like it but then again I didn't move there for the weather.

You make a good point. When I lived in Boston, whenever someone mentioned Western MA, someone who chime in with "a bunch of rednecks without accents." I used to remember one of the radio stations playing banjo music whenever there was a news story "from the sticks." So, I guess the judging wrongly and stereotypes are pretty much everywhere. Sometimes, you just need to get think skin... especially on the Internet.

If there was a "Most miserable person on the Internet" award, you would win hands down. Not trying to be insulting, but I think you made it clear that you made a big mistake. I guess I can't understand why someone would move to FL, hate FL, move away, and then move back. Just a bit like "you asked for it," but then again life is funny like that and I'm sure I'll end up doing something silly like that myself (hopefully not but I can see ending up somewhere for something knowing I will hate it). I have personally met too many NYers on the Gulf Coast (with 1 being too many). Hahah. Don't get all angry now... lots of my good friends are from NY, met many of them when I went to school in Boston. They had a habit of invading the city kind of like they invaded the east coast of FL. I got used to them after awhile.
That is why our state is divided in the middle, the snobby people out in Eastern MA East of Worcester, who think they are better than us and calling us rednecks, out in the sticks.... I would take my redneck self living out in the sticks and day over Bostons city crap. Hey... I listen to Country music... I must be a redneck form out there.... LOL!!!

Old 10-09-2009, 03:31 PM

Default Job

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim09091 View Post

My husband's that is. Yeah, I made a big mistake. I should have divorced him rather than move here. Even worse, I should have know better that you cannot ignore Florida, especially when you have lived here before and left for 30+ years.

PS. I don't care how many New Yorkers you can count as friends in Florida. I have NONE. The New Yorkers in NEW YORK I count as my friend, not the phony NY "Floridians".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida