Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:19 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,503 times

Advertisements

Definately northern winters. They suck. In summer there is much more to do, you can actually be outside and stuff. In winter in the north, its basically like 4 wasted months.

G Man

Old 09-02-2009, 02:56 PM

81 posts, read 276,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margel View Post
I wouldn't mind the north if we truly had 4 seasons that were divided equally. But the reality is that spring and fall begin and end so fast that you don't get to really enjoy the foliage, or the warming or cooling days. Instead we go right into a hot, hot summer, or a freezing, gray winter. And out of all of the seasons, winter weather hangs around the longest, getting cold and dreary from early November to almost halfway through April. Even when it warms up slightly in April as is happening now, the days are still dreary. Last year I went to a Phillies game the end of April wearing a winter coat and freezing in the stands. That is why my dream move to Florida became a reality.
You are 100% right, I live in PA also about 2 hours north of Philly. Winter here lasts forever, from at least what you said Nov to mid April. Then the weather breaks around May. From May to Sept is the only nice months. October is kinda cool, by the end of Oct is cold enough to snow. I feel like we have 1 month of spring, 1 month of fall, 4 1/2 months of summer, and 5 1/2 months of winter. We lit fireworks off on the 4th of July this year and around 9:00 when it got dark we all had to put on sweatshirts because it was chilly. That is my dream also to move to Florida one day, me, my wife and son. Have a blessed day, hope you get there one day.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman5431 View Post
Definately northern winters. They suck. In summer there is much more to do, you can actually be outside and stuff. In winter in the north, its basically like 4 wasted months.

G Man
Yes it is wasted, nothing to do except sit in the house and get depressed, I usually start getting depressed after Jan 1, then I just want it to be warm and it dont get warm warm till May. I think 2 months of cold is enough.

EDIT: So the answer I think is the northern winters because you are cooped up in the house with nothing to do from Nov-Apr. I like amusement parks, beachs, and outdoor activities. There is none of that here in those months, except if you like to ski or hunt. At least down FL you have the leisure to be outside 12 months out of the year.

Old 09-02-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
The grey days are very depressing, and everything comes to a screeching halt in winter, no more festivals or fairs, no outdoor type play (skiing for me is out because of cardiac issues) ice skating is fun for about 3 seconds till you fall down , get wet or hurt and then freeze your butt off the next 20 mins. I know what you mean about the endless grey days. I haven't seen the sun since I've been back from Fla which was on Friday. its still grey and dark when I woke up this morning.. Cabin fever sets in baddd and I'll go walk around a Target just to get out of the house because its better than nothing.. Who whats to live like that!
You are so right, it gets so depressing around Feb that you would just jump into your car and go to the mall or something just to get out, ITS THAT BAD !!! Dark, dreary, grey, cold days. Could go weeks with no sun. NO LIE, thats the honest truth, especially from dec - feb its real bad. Just imagine no sun for 2 weeks straight, not good. Have a blessed day.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:35 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,776,340 times
Well, it's a draw to me. Winters in extreme cold, and summers in extreme heat both suck. Would like to snowbird, but hey, not a rich guy here. All I know is it is September, and soon the good Florida weather will be here.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:42 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,666,399 times
Summer is really bad here, but I can rationalize it that it is summer all over. Fall is when it gets to me here when temps are still in the 80s and it is in the 50s/60s up North and the leaves are changing. I won't even go into what Chritmas is like in Florida. The only good thing about February is that it isn't August. The only enjoyment I get in the middle of winter is that it does get into the 40s and 50s at NIGHT. I get up hours early for work and just sit out side in my lanai enjoying the nice cool weather. As soon as the Noon sun comes around, it's back into the 70s and boring, misserable summer all over again.

You know? I can honestly say I prefer shoveling snow in February to sitting on a beach, wearing shorts, or SWEATING. I am so sick of SWEATING.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:48 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
^^^I couldn't agree with you any more, minus the shoveling snow part.

Old 09-03-2009, 06:38 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times
I just stated on the humidity forum but for me winter is worse. I have a condition that makes it so painful but even pre this I was very sensitive to cold. In MI where I am from we have a good 7 months of winter. I have seen snow flurries on Halloween and snow in April. In between those months can be filled with days of 10 inches. Most times if it does snow 7 inches one is expected to be at work. Meaning waking early to shovel,sit in traffic,to arrive late and repeat on the way home. It can take 2 hours when usually 30 min. The constant dreary skys is depressing. Some though don't mind. This is my first summer in FL and it is very hot and sticky. I just try to do outdoor things early. I feel for people who work outside though

Old 09-03-2009, 07:22 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,974,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan1977 View Post
Yes it is wasted, nothing to do except sit in the house and get depressed, I usually start getting depressed after Jan 1, then I just want it to be warm and it dont get warm warm till May. I think 2 months of cold is enough.

EDIT: So the answer I think is the northern winters because you are cooped up in the house with nothing to do from Nov-Apr. I like amusement parks, beachs, and outdoor activities. There is none of that here in those months, except if you like to ski or hunt. At least down FL you have the leisure to be outside 12 months out of the year.
Exactly. Sure, in summer in FL there are times when it is oppressive and many people dont like that. I love heat. But in the north there are about 4 months when you cant even go outside.

G Man

Old 09-03-2009, 07:45 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,657 times
At least with the heat it's not a 24 hour a day thing. It cools off overnite and is nice till about 9 or 10 AM and then again 6 or 7pm on and you can get some nice shade from the angle of the sun behind tress.

Cold is 24/7. Here in MI this last winter we had 23 straight days the temp never got about freezing with most of those days lows in the single digits and highs in the teens, with plenty of snow also. I'll take the heat anyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida