Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 09:51 AM

2,811 posts, read 5,628,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
Here's the way I look at it. Up north you not only have 5 months or so of cold weather where you can't really do anything outside, but in the summer you also have 3 months or so (at least here in the upper midwest) where the weather is also unbearably hot and humid, making the only real months with decent weather for doing things outside the later Spring months and the very beginning of Fall. So in that case, I think I'd choose the 6 months of unbearable heat down south, at least then you have 6 months if NICE weather.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:52 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,041 times
It's not about the weather.
Florida is a cultural wasteland.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:14 AM

150 posts, read 475,063 times
Personally, I prefer the "endless summers." I can't stand the cold, or seeing a handful of sunny days between long stretches of gray clouds.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:59 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,537,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
What in the world do you mean? lol
The poster is referring to types of grass.....there are many different types.
St Augustine, Zoysia, etc,etc.....

Frank D.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,845,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
yeah you can't beat the sunshine

yes its hot, and yes it rains quite a bit... but, it is sunny also, and the rain is usually just in the afternoons...

not like up north where it is grey day after day after day, and you can't go outside b/c there is nothing to do.
personally, I run races, so like half the year has snow or ice on the ground, or too cold for my tastes. gotta change that. I can sweat all day, but when you are concerned with slipping on ice...it is a whole different story.
I don't understand these comments of it being "grey day after day after day" up north.
On average the city of Boston experiences more cloudless days than Miami does.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:00 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDot View Post
I don't understand these comments of it being "grey day after day after day" up north.
On average the city of Boston experiences more cloudless days than Miami does.
This is what they mean, here's my forcast..

Saturday
Light Rain cloudy
48°

Sunday
Showers

Monday
Showers

Tuesday
Showers

Wednesday
Partly Cloudy
54°

Thursday
Showers
67°

FridayShowers

Saturday
Mostly Cloudy

Sunday
Cloudy
64°

Its different up north than in Fla.. When they say shower they don't mean like in fla where you get what we call sun showers.. Showers up north mean drizzle allll day long.. the sun won't come out the entire day. I have yet to see the sun once today. Its been grey to the point where I need the lights on in the house today... I probably won't see the sun for a good week at least. Partly cloudy days up north don't mean the sun is shining with some puffy clouds in the sky.. it means its grey all day with occasional breakthroughs of short sunbursts.. Cloudy days, and overcast are two different thing imo.. We get overcast days probably 4-5 days week where the sun is just non existant.. Fla gets them in supurts of 2-3 days in a row perhaps... Its a whole different ball game, and I didn't understand it when I lived in Fla till I moved up north and now I completely understand the concept of no sun at all for LONG periods of time.. We'd go a couple weeks at a time in winter with literally no sunshine.. Just grey overcast nonstop

Old 04-11-2008, 02:15 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,944,786 times
^^
We get your point already, lol. You're moving back to Naples in a few weeks anyway. Spring takes longer to come in NH anyway. Here in downstate NY we hardly get any of this dreariness you talk about. It's been feeling like spring for the past 3 weeks. Maybe you just need to move between FL and NH so you can get the best of both.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:04 PM

114 posts, read 750,998 times
Default It is a no brainer!!

You can get out of the heat in AC and still always have sunshine and beaches. The winters are depressing and cold and you are stuck in doors. You could however spend every dollar you have traveling down south for one week to feel good. For me I headed south as soon as I can sell my house up north. The economy sucks yes even worst than Florida and the jobs don't pay well compared to cost of living up here.

I put it this way moving down south will add years on to my life and best of all the years remaining I will feel good.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:11 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
^^
We get your point already, lol. You're moving back to Naples in a few weeks anyway. Spring takes longer to come in NH anyway. Here in downstate NY we hardly get any of this dreariness you talk about. It's been feeling like spring for the past 3 weeks. Maybe you just need to move between FL and NH so you can get the best of both.
I was simply responding to the person above me who said they don't understand how people can talk about grey for days on end.. I showed him an example... It had nothing to do with me moving to Fla. And I'm glad spring is showing up in some parts of the country. But here in New England it is far from it

Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,985,263 times
We moved from CT to sw florida almost 4 years ago. Due to job circumstances, we're going back to CT. I have to say that I'm looking forward to spring and fall, becasue in Florida, the seasons are warm, hot, and hot and rainy. Don't get me wrong, I looove Florida winters, but the summers are too long. I know that the winters up north are too long as well...there are no happy mediums.

I'd rather not deal with snow and ice, but I do like having 4 seasons... if only the winters season was not so long!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida