Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:12 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,037,014 times

Advertisements

If I had a significant bankroll, life could be best spent living in Florida for the worst of Pennsylvania weather (winter) and living in Pennsylvania for the worst of Florida weather (summer). Unfortunately, I think that the average middle class family hoping to become "snowbirds" during the retirement years will soon be an endangered species. The costs are too cost prohibitive now and are getting worse.

When I leave for work in January, it is dark and cold. When I return from work in January, it is dark and cold. I can deal with the snow, but it seems to be months before we will see sunshine in Pittsburgh. On the other hand, I love the fresh, clean air and listening to nature on a warm July night (70 degrees) with windows open virtually the entire month at night in the north. I realize in Florida, that would be a distant memory... those that can afford to live close enough for an ocean breeze in July being the exception... living inside a vacuum (windows always closed & rushing to the nearest air conditioned environment for relief from the hot, humid air).

Maybe this is why so many retirees are looking to the North Carolinas of the states... an escape from the extremes?

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM

541 posts, read 1,996,089 times
Honestly I am still debating that! I think you really have to have lived in both places for a while to make the call. Vacation just does not cut it. I grew up in NY city. Lived in Baltimore, MD for college (5 years) and lived in Massachusetts for 9 years before moving to Orlando. We have been in central Florida for close to 4 years now. Winter lasts from middle/end of November-beginning of April in MA. Here the heat/humidity/extreme sun last from April-November although we had some days in February/March in the 90's and very humid. It does get worse each year as far as the heat here (old FL residents say the same.)

It is totally different living here than vacation. You have to go to work in the heat with your work clothes on. The car takes a while to cool off so you are sweating the whole time. I see people without cars waiting at bus stops and I feel for them. They must be dripping buckets and to get to work in that state is just nasty. If you are retired and can be in the pool or at the beach for a couple of hours in the summer you may fare better. Don't think you will be out all day boating or on the golf course though. The sun will give you cancer in a year if you do that! I have gotten burned every day the past week being out less than 2 hours with 45 SPF on! The pollen is GOD awful the past few months too. Headache inducing, throat burning, eye scratching, nose running bad. I never had allergies up north. My friends form CT and NJ say the same-no allergies up north- awful here!

But then in the winter in the north you have to deal with dry cracked skin, flu (that was bad here this year too), chest colds, runny noses, seasonal depression, aching bones, ice storms, etc..

Really ideal weather wise would be living in San Diego or Hawaii or the south of France ($$$.) Or being up north May-Dec (for the holidays) and Jan-April in FL.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:24 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,152,331 times
I love Florida summers and do not much enjoy weather below 60 degrees.

Old 03-31-2008, 05:39 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,544,696 times
I am originally from CT, and would take six months of heat than cold anyday! I can remember times that I couldn't get warm enough because it was so cold. The heat doesn't bother me, if it does there is A/C, pools and the beach!

Old 03-31-2008, 05:49 PM

1,309 posts, read 4,192,726 times
Northern winters, most definitely. I lived in NYC for 31 yrs of my life, and have lived in milder climates for the past ten (Nevada, Florida), and I much prefer the tradeoff of "endless summer". Now, if I worked outside in construction, I might not enjoy it so much...therefore I'm dealing just fine!

Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 PM

135 posts, read 711,686 times
this post is like asking what is better: chocolate or vanilla ice cream? you can probably find as many people that like one as the other. you have to decide which one you like. would you poll people to figure out what kind of ice cream you like? myself, I prefer chocolate and I'll take FL summers over northern winters any day of the week but I was born and raised in FL.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:03 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,469,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
I hate to tell you this. But you are the only person that can answer this question. As there will be many people on either side of the question, saying one is worse than the other. I have to say both are pretty bad. One isn't worse or better than the other. They are both pretty bad. Like you said Cali is the place to go for the best weather, the place I want to move too. One of the main reasons we are leaving Florida is because of the heat and humidity, we have had enough of it. Growing up as kids we had a sort of winter that would break up the summer heat and humidity. But that is no longer as summer is getting longer more like 8 months of summer now. Have you looked into the Carolinas? As they may be a better compromise to California than Florida weather wise. I would highly suggest coming for a visit this summer to Florida for a week and see for your self.

As a native Floridian myself, I have to say the heat and humidity is worse than it was ten years ago. Not in the summer necessary, just that summer is getting longer. We had a really warm winter this year in the 80s mostly and humid. And its been a wet winter, which is really odd, since its suppose to be our dry season right now. Weather isn't what it was ten years ago.

Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 PM

776 posts, read 1,674,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?

Having lived half my life on Long Island and the other half in Florida I'd say neither, but family should be very important and trump minor factors like weather anyway. About the only place in Florida where you get enough nice mild A/C free days with a decent break from the 8-9 relentless months of heat and humidity or cold harsh winters is along the northeast coast from roughly Daytona to Ponte Vedra due in large part to the cooling breezes of Atlantic waters not benefiting as much from the tropical gulf stream.. While that still is not anywhere near SoCal standards at least it is a lot closer to the number of nice comfortable days you'll get in say a Raleigh,Atlanta or Denver.. A high temp of between 60 and 80 degrees with blue skies and little humidity is what does it for me... so yes I can relate to SoCal and how different it is from Florida. I find, especially in South Florida, that once you live there a while you either love or hate the weather. The negative is more the relentless persistence of hot, humid summer and no season change. High temps in July and August will be 90+ in much of the country anyway so I don't see that as a factor down here. So many here, especially as they get older and well into retirement age, are so accustomed and conditioned to the heat and humidity they can check out but never ever leave even to 70 degrees and dry LA.. sort of like the lyrics to the Eagles song Hotel California..lol Wish you the best..

Old 04-01-2008, 04:17 AM

39 posts, read 113,284 times
90+ in much of the country? You're kidding right? LOL If we see 90+ on three or four different days it's alot. Even in late July, we generally don't see those temps. Sometimes the humidity can get nasty, but hot and 90s? rarely. All you global warming people need to come live in western NY for a few years. You'll see what a running joke that is. This winter I decided it's not so much the cold as it is the ENDLESS GREY days. Month after month of clouds, grey, and just yuck. We can go weeks without sun. I really can't convey how depressing it is. Even with skiing, which we wouldn't survive winter without, it's still depressing. It just drags on and on and on. It's usually just too muddy for the kids to go out.. and we don't live near a sledding hill. Anyway.. cabin fever is real... LOL

Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,492,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomInNY View Post
90+ in much of the country? You're kidding right? LOL If we see 90+ on three or four different days it's alot. Even in late July, we generally don't see those temps. Sometimes the humidity can get nasty, but hot and 90s? rarely. All you global warming people need to come live in western NY for a few years. You'll see what a running joke that is. This winter I decided it's not so much the cold as it is the ENDLESS GREY days. Month after month of clouds, grey, and just yuck. We can go weeks without sun. I really can't convey how depressing it is. Even with skiing, which we wouldn't survive winter without, it's still depressing. It just drags on and on and on. It's usually just too muddy for the kids to go out.. and we don't live near a sledding hill. Anyway.. cabin fever is real... LOL
The grey days are very depressing, and everything comes to a screeching halt in winter, no more festivals or fairs, no outdoor type play (skiing for me is out because of cardiac issues) ice skating is fun for about 3 seconds till you fall down , get wet or hurt and then freeze your butt off the next 20 mins. I know what you mean about the endless grey days. I haven't seen the sun since I've been back from Fla which was on Friday. its still grey and dark when I woke up this morning.. Cabin fever sets in baddd and I'll go walk around a Target just to get out of the house because its better than nothing.. Who whats to live like that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida