Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I hated the cold when I lived there but now I realize I hate the heat even more. I have no energy with all this humidity, at least the cold gives you a little kick to get motivated.
You WANT to move when it is cold. In the heat, you either want to stay in AC, or like I have to do with the kids in school, just stay in any shady spot you can find and not MOVE.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,544,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
sigh.....it depends on WHERE North, and WHERE Florida.

Personally living in one of the worst longest winter climates in the US, and now living where it's humid and hot...I'll take humid and hot Alex for 100.00

And....I'm moving to Florida someday soon, and will be where it's around the same temps as I am in now, but a MUCH milder winter.

If I'm taking heat and humidity, I'm not taking Snow and cold. And right now I get both. Even in SC

Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
You WANT to move when it is cold. In the heat, you either want to stay in AC, or like I have to do with the kids in school, just stay in any shady spot you can find and not MOVE.
Yep. Going to beach became such a chore that I went less than when I lived in Mass. And I was at least 45 minutes away in Mass. We would go to RI. Beautiful beach. Fabulous waves. I could watch them for hours.

But I hated Fort Myers Beach. I don't like The Gulf. It's like a big hot sauna. No waves just hot, funky looking water.

Why do you think Katrina was so large? Get a hurricane into The Gulf and they feed off the hot water. And they thought Katrina would die when it crossed over the Florida Everglades. Are they kidding? She got larger in all that hot August water.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:24 PM

448 posts, read 1,470,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobums View Post
so interesting to read all these comments... the title caught my eye.

We moved to SW Florida a year ago from the snowiest part of WV, about 2 hours south of Pittsburgh. There was snow & ice from Oct till Mother's day... one July 4th, there was even flurries, though it didn't stick. We'll take the sun and heat happily over the constant winter.

BTW ~ I named our teeny place on Sanibel 'Endless Summer'... that's why the title caught my eye. Wonder if anyone else names their homes?
We moved here from OH. Used to live in PA. Just a bit north of Pittsburgh.
The winters were brutal. We will not miss them. We liked fall, but knew winter was near.
We named our home "Slice of Paradise". Because to us it is.
Will we miss winter, ie..snow, ice, salt/ash on the cars...NOPE

Old 09-01-2009, 06:17 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,613 times
I live in Pittsburgh, vacation in Florida every year. We have a vacation home near Erie, Pa.... we've experienced winter at its worst there, as well. I have been around for over 50 years, and have never seen a hint of snow in July, ever in the region.... a ridiculous exaggeration.

In Pittsburgh, with the global warming, I have not needed to shovel snow more than 10 times per winter season for the past 5 years. If one is to believe some of the hyperbole of some of the posters, that translates to 10 times in 6 months. In reality, Pittsburgh averages 26 inches of snow during four months. It is not the snow, but the cold, gray days of January, February, and part of March that begin to affect one's psyche. There are some real pluses, however, to living through the winters in the North. There is no grass to cut, nor yards to maintain.... more free time to watch more football (Go Steelers!) There are no mosquitoes or other bothersome insects, snakes, or the outside rodents to contend with for 3-4 months. Then, there is the winter ski season, hockey, ice skating, et al.

When spring arrives, the windows open for parts of the day..... a rebirth of a new year begins. For the next 6-7 months, one day becomes better than the rest....

Give me Florida for maybe a month during the gray days of winter, but I would take the diversity of the change of seasons any day. The again, though, I don't know if even that is too long.... the lack of change would probably bore me!!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:03 PM

376 posts, read 910,509 times
sorry to call you out Retiredcoach BUT, in Preston County WV, at 3500 feet, snow is possible many months out of the year... we had a foot of snow in Oct 2008 and a 'dusting' of snow the end of April 2009. Dusting in snow country is over 6 inches.

Pittsburgh weather is mild & balmy compared to my old neck of the woods... take 79 south about 2 hours, past Morgantown and you will find this is true.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:06 PM

376 posts, read 910,509 times
ooops... spouse just pointed out elevation is 2500 feet aprox on Caddell Mountain... still tall!!

Old 09-01-2009, 07:36 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,769,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Yep. Going to beach became such a chore that I went less than when I lived in Mass. And I was at least 45 minutes away in Mass. We would go to RI. Beautiful beach. Fabulous waves. I could watch them for hours.

But I hated Fort Myers Beach. I don't like The Gulf. It's like a big hot sauna. No waves just hot, funky looking water.

Why do you think Katrina was so large? Get a hurricane into The Gulf and they feed off the hot water. And they thought Katrina would die when it crossed over the Florida Everglades. Are they kidding? She got larger in all that hot August water.
I agree, the gulf water pretty much sucks. I like the East coast of Fl a LOT more, real waves, blue/green water not brown nasty water like here on this coast. I hardly ever got to the beaches here.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:54 AM

448 posts, read 1,470,720 times
Can't say that I recall snow in July either. But I will not miss the grey skies of Columubus OH. We loved the area and do miss our friends. But once fall hits, its grey until spring. Well, not really, just seems that way. We avg at least 2-3 good snow storms. The rest was the cold weather. Your car looks like all winter. Due to the brine they put on the roads. And God forbid you get behind one or drive on a freshly brined road Been there done that. will not miss it.
I will miss the leaves changing. But, thats about it. The FL weather is not for everyone. But it is for us

Old 09-02-2009, 09:57 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,749,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygurl View Post
Native Floridian thinking of moving back to Florida (Tampa) after 10 years of dark days, dry skin, depression (S.A.D.) and deep cold in the Northeast.

Since I can't move to So. Calif. (where the climate is perfect), am thinking about Florida, where it's sunny and my family lives.

But I am wondering whether 6 months of oppressive humid heat are actually worse than 6 months of dreary frigid cold? What do you think?
But it is not an endless summer. Half the months you wish you could bottle them it is so nice. I also have never been stuck in the house unable to get my car out of the drive way to go to say a drug store because it was 87 degrees outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida