Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 07:10 PM

776 posts, read 1,672,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoFLigo View Post
Here in Florida you deal with heat and humidity. In New England freezing cold and snow in the winter. They even out. I just love the landscape up north a lot more.
There are places like the northern burbs of Atlanta or Raleigh/Cary NC that have the best of both worlds.. The great landscape, the mild four seasons with very short winters and without endless summers.. People from the great gray far north never notice cause they want it to be 80 in the winter. I was once one of those people too. There is a price to pay for that if you live in the tropics all year long..

Old 04-11-2008, 07:15 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
There are places like the northern burbs of Atlanta and without endless summers..
Woah woah woah, did I read correctly? Atlanta doesn't have a disgusting, smoggy, polluted 100 degree 4-5 month summer? I don't know what you all are talking about when you say "endless". I mean for the past two years it's been warm. Gheez, it's just a cycle, that happens in other places too. Florida has a disgusting, 4-5 month, 90 degree, breezy summer with beautiful skies, clean air, and a serious risk for hurricanes. I think "endless" is just a wee bit of an exaggeration. Right now in South FL there is some humidity but the temperature is objectively pleasant, with a nice breeze and little rain. It doesn't really get bad until about late may and then it gets better in November.

If there is any place with a worse summer, it's Atlanta. You have to get into the mountains to get any relief, just like you could go to the beach to get relief here.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:26 PM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Woah woah woah, did I read correctly? Atlanta doesn't have a disgusting, smoggy, polluted 100 degree 4-5 month summer? I don't know what you all are talking about when you say "endless". I mean for the past two years it's been warm. Gheez, it's just a cycle, that happens in other places too. Florida has a disgusting, 4-5 month, 90 degree, breezy summer with beautiful skies, clean air, and a serious risk for hurricanes. I think "endless" is just a wee bit of an exaggeration. Right now in South FL there is some humidity but the temperature is objectively pleasant, with a nice breeze and little rain. It doesn't really get bad until about late may and then it gets better in November.

If there is any place with a worse summer, it's Atlanta. You have to get into the mountains to get any relief, just like you could go to the beach to get relief here.
Right on Compelled. When I drove through N.C. and S.C. it was FAR worse than Florida when it came to HOT and HUMID. It was rediculously hot there with a heat index of 111, I remember seeing on the weather channel that night we stopped over in Rocky Mount, NC I'm sure Gerogia is right up there with death heat...

Old 04-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post

I did say northern burbs..yeah 30+ miles out..let us face it our summers in southern FL are now a good nine months..Jan to early April has been as good as it gets here for sure with only bried periods of that dreaded heat and A/C. Again I think most underestimate the humidity and night time temps too. The weather today down here perhaps mid 80's and low 70's at night with decent humidity is comparable to what time of the year in Cary or Alpharetta? Perhaps early June or even later? Temps up there only average 70 or above at night for 10 weeks at best..

Old 04-11-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Right on Compelled. When I drove through N.C. and S.C. it was FAR worse than Florida when it came to HOT and HUMID. It was rediculously hot there with a heat index of 111, I remember seeing on the weather channel that night we stopped over in Rocky Mount, NC I'm sure Gerogia is right up there with death heat...
The entire southeast is 'death heat' in July and August unless you are up in the mountains or right on a beach.. Can't see how that is even debatable.. 96 in downtown Atlanta or Ft Myers, 94 in Orlando or 'only' 91 in Ft Lauderdale for the high in July doesn't mean any difference to me. Now if one had low humidity and the temps dropped to the mid 60's at night then we are talking..lol

Now are you guys telling me Southern Florida today doesn't have the overall warmest, most persistently hot and humid climate in the country with the most A/C days needed for normal living? That was my point..

Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
I did say northern burbs..yeah 30+ miles out...
I stayed in Lawrenceville (30 miles north) for a month during the heat of the summer. I was happy to be home and at least be able to take a deep breath without choking and feel some breeze. I will take 6 months of Florida brutality over 2 months of that brutality up there, not to mention how DISGUSTING the air is. What does "northern" have to do with it anyway? That's as silly as saying it's cooler in Jupiter than it is in Miami during the summer. You have to go out a bit further than you think before you feel a difference.

And I don't know what you are talking about when you say "only" 91. It was in the mid to upper 80s here with a breeze all summer just like every other year. The problem is that over the past couple of years there we have had a day here and there during the winter that was like that. Consider this though- it's cyclic, just because we had a warm year doesn't some how make it permanent, as believe it or not we were struggling to break record even in the days when it was 88 degrees outside during the winter (which is usually followed by a major cooldown when that happens as that tends to happen pre-cool front), although yes the temperatures were above "averages". Would anybody even accept it if I told them if the NE is just having cyclic "mild" winters as well? Well, it's true, it's called "El Nino", maybe you have heard of it.

Quote:
Well johnvosilla was right that the whole SE is bad June/July. It does get a little better after that.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 04-11-2008 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-12-2008, 11:15 AM

2,215 posts, read 3,614,478 times
I will take the endless summer in Florida with the breeze over the muggy hot nasty no breeze summer months up north and then look forward to ice and snow all over again, then repeat. It is getting old.

Give me a lanai with a pool or an umbrella at the beach and that is the best life you could have.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:54 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,841,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
This is what they mean, here's my forcast..

Saturday
Light Rain cloudy
48°

Sunday
Showers

Monday
Showers

Tuesday
Showers

Wednesday
Partly Cloudy
54°

Thursday
Showers
67°

FridayShowers

Saturday
Mostly Cloudy

Sunday
Cloudy
64°

B.S.!
This is Boston's weather for the next 10 days

Monday, Apr 14
High: 52 °F RealFeel®: 47 °F
Sunny to partly cloudy

[Tuesday, Apr 15

High: 54 °F RealFeel®: 52 °F
Mostly sunny

Wednesday, Apr 16

High: 61 °F RealFeel®: 59 °F
Mostly sunny and delightful

[font=Arial]Thursday, Apr 17

High: 61 °F RealFeel®: 58 °F
Partly sunny

[font=Arial]Friday, Apr 18

High: 64 °F RealFeel®: 62 °F
Partly sunny

Saturday, Apr 19

High: 60 °F RealFeel®: 57 °F
Some sunshine

[font=Arial]Sunday, Apr 20

High: 55 °F RealFeel®: 49 °F
Partly sunny

[font=Arial]Monday, Apr 21

High: 59 °F RealFeel®: 58 °F
Sunshine and patchy clouds

[font=Arial]Tuesday, Apr 22

High: 68 °F RealFeel®: 67 °F
Warmer with intervals of clouds and sun

[font=Arial]Wednesday, Apr 23

High: 71 °F RealFeel®: 71 °F
Partly sunny and warm

Old 04-14-2008, 10:04 AM

3,636 posts, read 9,767,798 times
Quote:
The entire southeast is 'death heat' in July and August unless you are up in the mountains or right on a beach.. Can't see how that is even debatable.. 96 in downtown Atlanta or Ft Myers, 94 in Orlando or 'only' 91 in Ft Lauderdale for the high in July doesn't mean any difference to me. Now if one had low humidity and the temps dropped to the mid 60's at night then we are talking..lol

Now are you guys telling me Southern Florida today doesn't have the overall warmest, most persistently hot and humid climate in the country with the most A/C days needed for normal living? That was my point..
Ummm YA I am telling you it's hotter in North and South Carolina in the summer. Atlanta has dead air, no breeze. Orlando is terrible, but we get a seabreeze here in Cape Coral all the time. At least the air moves. Yes it's hotter than poop here in June, july, august, september, october... But the coastal areas of FL are better than inland.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 PM

48 posts, read 197,580 times
I lived in Sarasota, Florida for the first 23 years of my life. I moved to Nashville for 10 months and then here to Pittsburgh. The move occurred because my sister, her husband and children moved here.

I always hated the heat in FL, I remember despising it even as a kid. PE was a nightmare in school, every day I dreaded it. The heat and humidity would choke me and make it very difficult to breathe. I remember the swarming mosquitoes, the constant sunburns and subsequent healing process. I remember always fantasizing about living in Long Island, where my family is from...and resenting my mom for settling in FL before I was born. I spent most of the year cloistered in air conditioned rooms. And regarding the beach...the Gulf of Mexico is not very refreshing from June on. During July and August, the water temp is usually about 88 degrees...though I've seen it reach 90. Does that sound pleasant on a 88-92 degree day with a heat index over 100?

Now I am in Pittsburgh. I moved here during the heaviest snowfall of this past winter, literally as it was falling we were pulling up in the moving truck. It was so beautiful, I was delighted. I don't mind the cold as much as the heat. However, it does get tiresome, it lasts too long here for the comfort of most.

I think of it this way, and of course this is a matter of opinion - Florida, to me, is unbearable for 3 seasons of the year and beautiful for one. Western PA is beautiful for 3 seasons of the year and rather uncomfortable for one. 3-1 - Pittsburgh wins.

The spring and summer here have been breathtakingly beautiful. I know this is an abnormally mild year. It's August 31 and our high temp today was 69, with plenty of sun and moderate humidity. Freaking gorgeous! I so look forward to autumn. I'm totally glad I moved up here.

My favorite climate is Oceanic. I'd like to live in the Pacific Northwest some day. I love cloudy, rainy days...and prefer more clouds than sun overall. Winter is the only time of year where it is usually gray here in Western PA, from what I've experienced and researched. Live for a year in the Northeast, than a year in Florida, and then compare. It is certainly true that visiting doesn't give a clear enough picture. I've know people who wanted back out of FL as soon as they realized how the constant heat would affect them. And most of them had other reasons for wanting out: cost of living, overzealous law enforcement, boredom regarding the flat topography, lack of interesting architecture, etc...

BTW - I think a lot of you are mistaken when you say most people prefer what they're used to, though obviously that is sometimes the case. Most people I meet in Pitt fantasize about FL or NC. When I was a kid I fantasized about the North. Fortunately for me, sometimes the grass really IS greener!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida