Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 05:19 PM

419 posts, read 387,811 times

Advertisements

Interesting thread so I'll chime in. Publix is my favorite local store for many reasons. Those are: (1) great sales especially BOGOs; (2) you don't have to buy the number of items listed to get a sale, i.e., if it says 2/$6, you will only be charged $3 if buying only one item; (3) prices usually ring in correctly, something I can't say for Walmart and lately Target; (4) usually well stocked but if out of a sale item, it's easy to get a raincheck; (5) clean stores and the aisles aren't blocked; (6) larger selection of organic produce than other local stores; and (7) good customer-service.

I will say that if comparing non-sale items between Publix and say Walmart, Publix everyday prices usually are higher. However, Publix sales can't be beat especially when combined with coupons. For people who don't like clipping coupons, Publix now has digital coupons. At least once a month, Publix has a coupon for $10 off a $50 gas card if you spend $50 on groceries. That's a great deal especially if you combine it with other sales and coupons.

I shop at all of the local stores and find something good at every one, but for most of what I buy, Publix is my main store followed by Target. Walmart is usually only once a month for stocking up mostly non-food items. Walmart's produce has made me sick before, so I pay a little more at other stores (usually Publix) and haven't had a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 07:14 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
That's the problem, a lot of things are double priced so they can have BOGO sales. I don't like BOGO sales. I don't like shopping with coupons either. Just give me low prices. Always. I don't need gimmicks to shop or have to wait for something to go on sale to buy it.
I feel the exact same way. And besides, BOGO doesn't always offer much savings. I bought Edy's ice cream at Walmart for $3.24. Publix currently has a BOGO special for the same brand, but it costs more. It still would have been cheaper to buy two at Walmart.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:29 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
Publix offer's a 5% discount to seniors on Wednesday's, in all its location's except Florida.

This past week I ended my shopping at Publix, but I made it a point to let the manager know. I think Publix needs to know, not everyone is in love with their monopoly. Or in love with their style of doing business. A newcomer in a state is looking for where they will do business with. Some business will appeal and some will not.

The trigger with me was the discount, and the fact Florida residents are not eligible. Yet I live in the city where Publix is based. I am a year round resident. I'm not a snowbird here for 6 months, and then goes off for the rest of the year. So I'm supporting the company all year long. I'm on the same fixed income, that the senior is in other states where Publix operates. Yet their getting a discount

The final end was when I went into the Harden Blvd location to buy my lunch. A sandwich and some chips at their deli. I work part-time nearby so I walked to the store. I had limited time, so I wanted to eat there. However I didn't know there isn't even as much as a table and chairs in the store. Or a plastic fork to eat the little cup of Pasta. Like every other grocery store that has a deli in it Usually that is, maybe Florida or Lakeland doesn't see Deli's offering that. I don't know. I asked about this, and the clerk told me. Only the Lake Marion location offers that. I can figure that out for myself. Evidently they think that is the Beverly Hills area of Lakeland, so they are entitled to higher end service.

I asked to speak to the manger. I asked isn't there somewhere in the store to eat the lunch, and get a plastic fork. He said no. They do sell plastic forks and spoons, and perhaps I could go eat in my car. Well I had enough and it just came out of me. I said I have no idea what is considered hospitality in this part of the country, but I don't see it from Publix. When I add everything up. Limited products in the store, basically geared for families or on local cuisine. Small stores other than the high and mighty Lake Marion location. Very high prices for many items. No courtesy just to eat their damn sandwich at their deli. (can't even put in a table and chair for customers) Or offer a damn fork. Most of all just an arrogant company that has a lot of followers, that just don't know anything else. So Publix gets all their great reviews. Well not from me. Publix can kiss my Irish Rear end. I will just have to shop at WD. No more at Publix for this man. WD are limited to, but they are what they are. I don't seem to get irritated with WD. I'm guessing because they seem to be for all people. Publix has overtones of class conscious and just to controlling. Publix is like a snob that thinks they are it, and you either shop there or have limited offerings in much of this state. They must be the biggest employer where I live, and people act like Publix is some sort of God. Publix know that and use's it to their advantage, and people evidently have bought into it. If people don't know anything but Publix and WD in life, then I can see how this happens.

I just have never been this disgusted with a store, but I think it is their arrogance and control in the region that does it with me. That and it just seems to cater to classes more than I can tolerate. I think if there had been at least a Kroger or Albertson's around, then I would not have become so upset with Publix. I just am someone that needs options.

Sorry for the rant, but for those that enjoy Publix and its what your use to. Then more power to you. Perhaps you could understand for those that are use to numerous major grocery chains. Adjusting to what is really the mother of grocery shopping in Florida, might not really be possible.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 06-14-2015 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-14-2015, 09:36 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Publix offer's a 5% discount to seniors on Wednesday's, in all its location's except Florida.

This past week I ended my shopping at Publix, but I made it a point to let the manager know. I think Publix needs to know, not everyone is in love with their monopoly. Or in love with their style of doing business. A newcomer in a state is looking for where they will do business with. Some business will appeal and some will not.

The trigger with me was the discount, and the fact Florida residents are not eligible. Yet I live in the city where Publix is based. I am a year round resident. I'm not a snowbird here for 6 months, and then goes off for the rest of the year. So I'm supporting the company all year long. I'm on the same fixed income, that the senior is in other states where Publix operates. Yet their getting a discount

The final end was when I went into the Harden Blvd location to buy my lunch. A sandwich and some chips at their deli. I work part-time nearby so I walked to the store. I had limited time, so I wanted to eat there. However I didn't know there isn't even as much as a table and chairs in the store. Or a plastic fork to eat the little cup of Pasta. Like every other grocery store that has a deli in it Usually that is, maybe Florida or Lakeland doesn't see Deli's offering that. I don't know. I asked about this, and the clerk told me. Only the Lake Marion location offers that. I can figure that out for myself. Evidently they think that is the Beverly Hills area of Lakeland, so they are entitled to higher end service.

I asked to speak to the manger. I asked isn't there somewhere in the store to eat the lunch, and get a plastic fork. He said no. They do sell plastic forks and spoons, and perhaps I could go eat in my car. Well I had enough and it just came out of me. I said I have no idea what is considered hospitality in this part of the country, but I don't see it from Publix. When I add everything up. Limited products in the store, basically geared for families or on local cuisine. Small stores other than the high and mighty Lake Marion location. Very high prices for many items. No courtesy just to eat their damn sandwich at their deli. (can't even put in a table and chair for customers) Or offer a damn fork. Most of all just an arrogant company that has a lot of followers, that just don't know anything else. So Publix gets all their great reviews. Well not from me. Publix can kiss my Irish Rear end. I will just have to shop at WD. No more at Publix for this man. WD are limited to, but they are what they are. I don't seem to get irritated with WD. I'm guessing because they seem to be for all people. Publix has overtones of class conscious and just to controlling. Publix is like a snob that thinks they are it, and you either shop there or have limited offerings in much of this state. They must be the biggest employer where I live, and people act like Publix is some sort of God. Publix know that and use's it to their advantage, and people evidently have bought into it. If people don't know anything but Publix and WD in life, then I can see how this happens.

I just have never been this disgusted with a store, but I think it is their arrogance and control in the region that does it with me. That and it just seems to cater to classes more than I can tolerate. I think if there had been at least a Kroger or Albertson's around, then I would not have become so upset with Publix. I just am someone that needs options.
That manager is a jerk and lacks common sense. They should have plastic forks available upon request. A decent manager would go get a box from the ones they sell and give you one and write off the cost of how much it is, or whatever the process if for them using store items. You should write to the home office and complain or send them an email complaint on their website.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:33 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
That manager is a jerk and lacks common sense. They should have plastic forks available upon request. A decent manager would go get a box from the ones they sell and give you one and write off the cost of how much it is, or whatever the process if for them using store items. You should write to the home office and complain or send them an email complaint on their website.
Yeah that manager was definitely not the normal Publix one you'd encounter. They always have forks available at the deli for you to take, usually at the soda machine.

Old 06-14-2015, 11:54 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yeah that manager was definitely not the normal Publix one you'd encounter. They always have forks available at the deli for you to take, usually at the soda machine.
I agree. Every Publix I have ever been in has always gone out of their way to accommodate their customers. That manager was definitely in the minority, and that is a shame.

JimRob, the Southgate Publix is a lot better, at least it was when I lived there. Lots more options and more varied clientele. And newer too. Maybe you could give that one a try? I never did like the Harden one.

Old 06-14-2015, 04:31 PM

1,381 posts, read 2,306,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post

Sorry for the rant, but for those that enjoy Publix and its what your use to. Then more power to you. Perhaps you could understand for those that are use to numerous major grocery chains. Adjusting to what is really the mother of grocery shopping in Florida, might not really be possible.

Some of the Publix that I have been in on treasure coast have tables and chairs set up for you toneat in and they all would give you a plastic fork, yours must be poorly managed to say the least

Old 06-14-2015, 04:51 PM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newred5 View Post
Some of the Publix that I have been in on treasure coast have tables and chairs set up for you toneat in and they all would give you a plastic fork, yours must be poorly managed to say the least
Just a thought. It is a grocery store, not a restaurant.
It is probably one of the smaller stores that does not have the license to allow you to buy and eat food inside the store. If they do that they have to be considered a restaurant and there are fees to be paid. Since he could not eat it there, he probably bought the food without the extra sales tax added on for the meal that you have to pay if buying food in a restaurant. Sometimes you do have to say no to a customer because of the laws a store has to go by to have a license to operate or they get fined or lose their license.

As for the fork, you would think someone there would have given him a fork(opened a package and written it off as an expense as a coutesy) for him to take outside and eat his food rather than having someone go balistic in the store.

Old 06-14-2015, 05:32 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabflmom View Post
As for the fork, you would think someone there would have given him a fork(opened a package and written it off as an expense as a coutesy) for him to take outside and eat his food rather than having someone go balistic in the store.
There is not a single Publix that does not have forks/spoons/napkins available in the deli area for anyone to take. So I don't understand that part of his story.

Old 06-14-2015, 07:16 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
I can understand a grocery store not having tables/chairs in the store for people to sit and eat. I mean, people would just sit down and eat their deli food, toss the wrappers, and leave without paying. (Yes, I saw that happen in a Wal-Mart where I worked in college). The seating is typically now designed by the architects to be on the sidewalk or on a specially-designated patio area outside, which encourages the customer to pay for the food! This might be an older store that was built before the chain saw the value of such outside seating. I know Fresh Market sets aside space/seating on the sidewalk of the location I live closest to now, but when I lived in Savannah, the older Fresh Market there didn't have anywhere to sit/eat, either because they didn't have a sidewalk in front.

As for the cutlery issue, I can see that manager likely kicking himself for handling that so poorly. Again, their deli area might have a different (older) set-up that doesn't have readily-available cutlery, napkins, etc. and the customers rely on the deli employees to dispense them upon asking for them.

But of course none of this can adequately explain away how this Publix, located in the town where it is headquartered, could manage to screw up something so simple. Usually, if your corporate HQ is located nearby, your managers are some of the best in the chain, and they are constantly over-achieving because they never know if that "random customer" might be your Chairman of the Board, or the mother of the CEO.

I can totally 'get' why they don't do the senior discount in Florida, though. I think they ought to be fair, though--if they won't do it in FL, then don't do it anywhere else. I guess it's a reflection of Kroger's 5% senior discount on Wednesdays (which was recently changed, I recall), which made going to Kroger on Wednesday into a nightmare. I mean, it's not like 5% is some enormous discount--it's not even your sales tax. The Wednesday stampede at Kroger was the subject of much snark over the years, and I believe it would be exponentially worse if they did this in Floridian Publix locations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida