Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 06:32 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I'm sure they do. Go to a well run Walmart and you will see middle class Americans trying to get a good deal. A lot of companies with Walmart wasn't around.
The key is 'well run'. At least half of the Walmarts I've been in are filled with sketchy people and are poorly stocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 07:34 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The key is 'well run'. At least half of the Walmarts I've been in are filled with sketchy people and are poorly stocked.
I've seen sketchy people at Publix too. But yes Walmart is bad at restocking things, in a full grocery run you can usually expect them to be out of a few items you need.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:26 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Yes Walmart is a lot cheaper than Publix. Even with the BOGOs you can get stuff cheaper at Walmart.
Not the stuff I buy. And Walmart is such a pit to shop at, it just isn't worth it to me, even if one or two things are a couple bux cheaper -

Old 06-07-2015, 10:12 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
I'm sure they do. Go to a well run Walmart and you will see middle class Americans trying to get a good deal. A lot of companies with Walmart wasn't around.
Is that supposed to be a joke?

There's no such thing as a "well run Wal-Mart." If the bad experiences people had at Wal-Mart were isolated incidents at a few different stores, Wal-Mart wouldn't have the reputation it does. Outside of that, speaking as an ex exmployee, I would never eat anything from Wal-Mart that needs to be kept cold.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Well, bottom line, Publix stands alone for a reason - the majority of people here love it, and they just drive ALL the other competition out. Once upon a time, Florida DID have several other chains, but as a native here, NONE even came close to what Publix offers. Once I started shopping at Publix, I never went back to any other. Yes, it is more expensive on many items, but I can usually make up for it on sales and BOGOS. Plus, I do some of my shopping at smaller chains or non-chains. Publix is also shaking things up in other states they have entered. They got their act together.

I don't understand why so many are griping about Publix. Even my smallest oldest Publix is awesome, with a full line of organics or anything I want. And always clean with superb customer service.
I agree completely. The negative comments surprise me.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:50 PM

8,070 posts, read 4,746,263 times
It really isn't helpful to make blanket statements like
Quote:
There's no such thing as a "well run Wal-Mart."
Unless you have visited and shopped (or even worked) at every WM location, you can't validate such a statement. I've shopped several WM's in Georgia and two in Florida that ran quite well and was pleasant to shop in. I worked in one in GA during college that was very well run. I'm not saying there are problematic WM's out there; all chains have locations up and down the scale in those terms. But making general statements like that, on one of the largest chains of stores in the world, isn't able to be validated.

Wal-Marts, especially the SuperCenters, are a very different operation than a Publix Supermarket. They are trying to provide a much more varied product mix in a much larger building, and a lot of WM's employees have very different expectations from management. Keeping the shelves full (and keeping product moving) at WM is more of a priority than personalized customer service. Anyone who goes to the grocery department at WM expecting clerks to be walking the aisles and catering to the needs/questions of customers will of course be disappointed. "Clerks" in the grocery areas are stockers more than anything else, and if they're in an aisle, it's with a cart of stock to put out. They are instructed/paid to keep the product moving out of the back and onto shelves, not necessarily to walk people to the peanut butter or offer advice on cooking those pork chops. This type of personalized service is more the forte of the Fresh Markets, Whole Foods and the Krogers of the world. They hire employees who can (and will) perform those duties and be judged on how they deliver those services more so than how well they stock products.

Those who go to Wal-Mart should expect low prices as the trade-off for the often-impersonal (often non-existent) customer service. Those who go to TFM or WFM should expect higher-end, personalized service--and to pay higher prices for their groceries as the trade-off. It's the participants trying to have it both ways--the Publixes, the Krogers, the Costcos--who have the biggest challenge, because it's not normal to have your cake and eat it too.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:01 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,637,704 times
I used to do monthly stock-up trips to Walmart for paper goods, cleaning supplies, shampoo, etc. But now I use the Target Cartwheel app to get good deals, I buy a lot of their 'Up and Up' brands, and my Target card to get another 5% off my whole purchase. I have a much better shopping experience, and still save money.

I still stick with my Publix store for most of my food shopping, although I will admit that a recent trip to Winn-Dixie's meat department got my attention for their good quality and prices.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:16 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
As to WalMart - there is a fairly new one near me, and that place is an absolute pit - with clientele and employees to match. No thanks. They aren't much cheaper (if any) than my little Publix up the road.
Quote:
But yes Walmart is bad at restocking things.
Yes, the employees OMG! It seems like Walmart will hire just anybody off the street. And Walmart is definitely bad at restocking things. I hate it when I go there intending to buy a specific item, only to find that it's not in stock. It happens fairly often, and it feels like a waste of a trip.

About Walmart's clientele, I'd say that the sketchiness of the clientele depends on the store's location. The one I shop at is located in a "mixed" area: close to some middle-class neighborhoods but also close to a sketchy ghetto area. The clientele is a mix of all of that. And while the overall shopping experience at Publix is much better, I don't know that it's worth paying the extra $$$.

Old 06-07-2015, 07:01 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
About Walmart's clientele, I'd say that the sketchiness of the clientele depends on the store's location.
I worked at the Citrus Park Wal-Mart and our clientele didn't much differ from South Tampa, USF, or 275's.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:25 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAvery View Post
It really isn't helpful to make blanket statements like

Unless you have visited and shopped (or even worked) at every WM location, you can't validate such a statement. I've shopped several WM's in Georgia and two in Florida that ran quite well and was pleasant to shop in. I worked in one in GA during college that was very well run. I'm not saying there are problematic WM's out there; all chains have locations up and down the scale in those terms. But making general statements like that, on one of the largest chains of stores in the world, isn't able to be validated.

Wal-Marts, especially the SuperCenters, are a very different operation than a Publix Supermarket. They are trying to provide a much more varied product mix in a much larger building, and a lot of WM's employees have very different expectations from management. Keeping the shelves full (and keeping product moving) at WM is more of a priority than personalized customer service. Anyone who goes to the grocery department at WM expecting clerks to be walking the aisles and catering to the needs/questions of customers will of course be disappointed. "Clerks" in the grocery areas are stockers more than anything else, and if they're in an aisle, it's with a cart of stock to put out. They are instructed/paid to keep the product moving out of the back and onto shelves, not necessarily to walk people to the peanut butter or offer advice on cooking those pork chops. This type of personalized service is more the forte of the Fresh Markets, Whole Foods and the Krogers of the world. They hire employees who can (and will) perform those duties and be judged on how they deliver those services more so than how well they stock products.

Those who go to Wal-Mart should expect low prices as the trade-off for the often-impersonal (often non-existent) customer service. Those who go to TFM or WFM should expect higher-end, personalized service--and to pay higher prices for their groceries as the trade-off. It's the participants trying to have it both ways--the Publixes, the Krogers, the Costcos--who have the biggest challenge, because it's not normal to have your cake and eat it too.

The thing most of us who shop Publix are basically saying is that you really can. In the end I never spend any more on my BOGOS and on sale items at Publix than I would have to spend at Walmart. Plus we get the attention and service of personel that are willing to help with a smile. People who earn stock in the company even as part time workers and get bonuses are more likely to want the company and store they work in to do well than in a company that has 50-60 employee turn over every week like in the local SuperWallie where a family member hires and trains only to hire and train a new group next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida