Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2015, 09:21 AM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Great place to shop. Also a great place to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2015, 10:03 AM

81 posts, read 98,125 times
Within three miles of our home in SW Florida we have:
3 Publix
1 Super Target
1 Super Walmart opening soon----not looking forward to that.

Publix is my favorite.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:23 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
I really like shopping at Publix. As mentioned, great customer service. Doesn't feel coached either, unlike Safeway.

I don't like the prices in Publix, but you just have to go by their weekly fliers and stock up when they have stuff cheap. For a lot of things I go to Walmart because of the prices. They even have a gluten free section! Stuff in that section is 1/2 to 1/3 of Publix prices. As I hate shopping there, I again stock up and don't have to go back very often.

You have to be a smart shopper. Some of the stuff in Walmart is actually higher than Publix, and Walmart is sneaky. They drop their prices at the end of the month on a lot of things because they know people are running low on money, then raise them (sometimes double!) at the first of the month. It took me years to notice that, but its real. Now I stock up at the end of the month. I recently saw their potatoes go from 50 cents a pound (on the 29th) to a dollar a pound (on the 1st), then in a week they were back down (on the 6th). And it wasn't just the potatoes. This sort of thing went on w/ LOTS of items in the store because I was keeping a tally, and they all went up and down together, so it wasn't like the potato supply people were charging them more that particular week for the spuds. Sneaky.

Super Target has good deals on imported cheeses, and the service is more Publix like. I never understood why anyone would shop at Winn Dixie. Really bad selection at top prices. My favorite store is Krogers, but they aren't where we live. We also have a Sav A Lot out here. The produce looks like it fell off the truck somewhere back in Texas, and they scooped it off the road and dumped it in the cooler.

I love Piggly Wiggly, but only for the name and logo. Corn dogs would be a health food item in those stores. Bacon wrapped fried corn dogs stuffed with jalapeno cheese. I'll bet they could not keep them in stock if they made them. I can just see them in the isle between the pickled pigs feet and the beef jerky. Right across from the Budweiser-NASCAR-U.S. Army display.

Last edited by smarino; 06-03-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 07:31 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,518,269 times
I can't get use to shopping at Publix. I doubt I will be able to. I don't like the feeling of having no options with anything in life, and that is how I feel every time I shop at Publix. The monopoly they have in the nations 3rd most populous state is concerning to me. It just doesn't make sense why this goes on year after year. There should be other major grocery chains operating in this state, and Winn Dixie just doesn't count. Since I live in Lakeland and Publix is based here, their warehouses are all here, they employ many locals here. It's obvious from talking to people in Lakeland that are from here. Well to put it mildly they don't know anything besides Publix, and that is why the store gets such great reviews from them. Their reference point is Publix's and nothing else. Publix is way over priced and Lakeland is not a high income city. So as far as I'm concerned Publix is a ripoff at least in Lakeland. Also why in this day and age, is a store still using cutout coupons. Every grocery chain I have shopped in for years now, has a store card that subs as a coupon. I see people at publix cutting out coupons at the checkout, like it was 1960. Ridiculous and very backward. Their stores are not all that big, The Produce area is small. Their is just nothing about the store, that makes me think this store is so special. So I'm not getting it, I guess its because I have had so many grocery chains, to consider when shopping before Florida. Just having Publix everytime I want to go to the store, is a strange experience for me to get use to.

I'm sorry you can keep your Publix. I want some choice when I shop. It's more than obvious Publix has some clout/power in this state to keep other companies out. I do wish Kroger would come into Florida and build stores all over. It really needs to happen, and I think it would be a great benefit for consumers in this state.

Old 06-04-2015, 07:44 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I can't get use to shopping at Publix. I doubt I will be able to. I don't like the feeling of having no options with anything in life, and that is how I feel every time I shop at Publix. The monopoly they have in the nations 3rd most populous state is concerning to me. It just doesn't make sense why this goes on year after year. There should be other major grocery chains operating in this state, and Winn Dixie just doesn't count. Since I live in Lakeland and Publix is based here, their warehouses are all here, they employ many locals here. It's obvious from talking to people in Lakeland that are from here. Well to put it mildly they don't know anything besides Publix, and that is why the store gets such great reviews from them. Their reference point is Publix's and nothing else. Publix is way over priced and Lakeland is not a high income city. So as far as I'm concerned Publix is a ripoff at least in Lakeland. Also why in this day and age, is a store still using cutout coupons. Every grocery chain I have shopped in for years now, has a store card that subs as a coupon. I see people at publix cutting out coupons at the checkout, like it was 1960. Ridiculous and very backward. Their stores are not all that big, The Produce area is small. Their is just nothing about the store, that makes me think this store is so special. So I'm not getting it, I guess its because I have had so many grocery chains, to consider when shopping before Florida. Just having Publix everytime I want to go to the store, is a strange experience for me to get use to.

I'm sorry you can keep your Publix. I want some choice when I shop. It's more than obvious Publix has some clout/power in this state to keep other companies out. I do wish Kroger would come into Florida and build stores all over. It really needs to happen, and I think it would be a great benefit for consumers in this state.
I find myself back shopping at Publix more and more again. It is really the best overall grocery store, which is why it survives. I am luck living in Sarasota/Bradenton where I have huge options of where to shop. Yes, Publix is the main full grocery chain, but I love Super Target, Trader Joes and ALDI. We also have a huge new locally-owned farm store with great produce, meats, deli and fish at great prices (and quality) I don't shop at Whole Foods or Fresh Market but we have those too. To me, that is plenty of grocery options.

But as to Lakeland, when we lived there that was one of my complaints, almost no grocery options of any kind. Do they have ALDI there? I think maybe that was built after we moved. If so, it can be a good option for at least some items. They have good quality (their own brands) at prices 1/3 to 1/2 of Publix.

Old 06-04-2015, 10:32 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:

You nailed it in terms of people thinking Publix is all that because it's really all they know. I agree the Produce section in general is fairly weak and find compared to all of my other sources for Produce (Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Earth Origins Outlet and to a lesser degree Trader Joe's) that it isn't as fresh and seems to go in a matter of a couple of days in many instances (especially bagged lettuces). And if one buys pretty much only organic the selection is small and not consistent in varying Publix locations. People go on and on about having more staff than customers and the hand-holding many seemingly need to get their grocery shopping accomplished but I for one would rather have better quality, selection and prices than what Publix offers via some actual competition from other traditional grocers like Kroger or Harris Teeter to offset the monopoly they have over most of the state.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:35 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Publix is cool and offers pretty good quality stuff.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:19 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
I guess Lakeland doesn't have a Trader Joe's, Costco, Walmart or Super Target?

Old 06-04-2015, 01:43 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
We were at Publix yesterday and had plenty of bogo's.We like Stauffer's meals,mac & cheese & stuffed peppers 32 oz, have to ck sodium,they were $4.99 ea on a large selection.They are if you are careful as competitive with Walmart.Walmart has increased prices quite a bit.
Vegetable and Deli section fresh and clean with excellent selection reasonably priced.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:55 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Within a couple of miles of my home I have a Publix (2 actually), a Winn Dixie, and A Walmart grocery store. I avoid Winn Dixie and only shop at Walmart when I need something late at night and Publix is closed.

Publix is head and shoulders above any of the others. The fish and meat are fresher, the staff is EXTREMELY attentive, and the stores are clean. Yes, they are a little more than, especially, Walmart, but I will ONLY buy things at WM that are in a sealed can, NEVER their meat. You get what you pay for.

I have never been disappointed at Publix. If I ask where something is, the employee walks me to the spot instead of just pointing, and every employee goes out of their way to make you happy. Just the other night we got there at 9PM and the seafood was put away. The man behind the counter said "No problem," and he went to the back cooler and got it for us anyway. I called the store manager the next day and told him about that. Also, the store managers and assistant managers are always on their feet, walking around, making sure people are being properly taken care of. No sitting in the back office for them.

Nope, it is Publix for me all the way.

Don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida