Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,333 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've come here to ask for advice on behalf of my retired grandfather, who is considering moving to Florida (mostly for the weather). Seeing as he's German and his English is not all that great, it's probably a good idea for him to move somewhere with a German-speaking community, with people who might be able to help him with the transition and integrating into US life. He wants to live near a beach.

From what I've read so far, I think either Palm Beach or the Tampa area might be suitable. Now, I don't know much about either of these locations, but they both seem to have some advantages.

- Palm Beach is obviously very nice - I'm just not sure how expensive it really is. The budget for a house is probably going to be around $500k, maybe more. The community he is going to move to should ideally have a good amount of similarly-aged residents. I also like the fact that Palm Beach is not too far from Miami.

- From what I can tell, Tampa and its surroundings might have more to offer for family members coming to visit etc. Crime levels should obviously be low, though. Is Tampa Bay less likely to be affected by hurricanes than the east coast? What about weather patterns in general?

If any of you could help us out, say as to which area would be best for him to move to, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Nick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM

1,708 posts, read 4,400,402 times
I can't really comment on the German population here, but Palm Beach County has a variety of great 55+ communities. His price range would put him in some of the very nice communities like the Valencias, Valencia Pointe in Boynton Beach Florida – Luxury Homes for Sale – GL Homes .
Communities like this are designed for the residents to be very active with a variety of groups that meet up weekly/monthly. They may even have a German club there. It's resort style living with pools, fitness centers, tennis courts etc. Lots of activities for the guests in the area, and they're 15 minutes to the beach.
Are there any activities he enjoys doing?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:55 AM

1,468 posts, read 4,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLadvice View Post
Hi,

I've come here to ask for advice on behalf of my retired grandfather, who is considering moving to Florida (mostly for the weather). Seeing as he's German and his English is not all that great, it's probably a good idea for him to move somewhere with a German-speaking community, with people who might be able to help him with the transition and integrating into US life. He wants to live near a beach.

From what I've read so far, I think either Palm Beach or the Tampa area might be suitable. Now, I don't know much about either of these locations, but they both seem to have some advantages.

- Palm Beach is obviously very nice - I'm just not sure how expensive it really is. The budget for a house is probably going to be around $500k, maybe more. The community he is going to move to should ideally have a good amount of similarly-aged residents. I also like the fact that Palm Beach is not too far from Miami.

- From what I can tell, Tampa and its surroundings might have more to offer for family members coming to visit etc. Crime levels should obviously be low, though. Is Tampa Bay less likely to be affected by hurricanes than the east coast? What about weather patterns in general?

If any of you could help us out, say as to which area would be best for him to move to, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Nick
My wife is German. You will have to do some research on your own but here is a start. I believe Georgia has a whole community that is German.

Welcome to the German American Society of Greater Hollywood, Florida

German-American-Florida-Info, Clubs

Cazoo.org: German-American Cultural Center

Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 AM

501 posts, read 1,882,873 times
I'm a German American.

First, you need to research which cities in Florida have direct flights back to Germany, in case your father needs to attend a funeral, wedding or just to visit friends easily. Air Berlin flies nonstop from Ft Myers to Dusseldorf. Lufthansa has nonstop flights to Frankfurt from Miami and Orlando and nonstop to Munich from Miami. This will be important later on. These flight areas in Florida will also have strong German population as well nearby.

Second, contact the German Consulate in Miami. They will have answers to which areas in Florida may best suit your father's age/needs. This will also include sourcing German food products or restaurants in Florida. Also don't forget to have a discussion with them about Medical/Dental care in the USA, insurance requirements, etc. They will have many brochures in German you can have sent to him directly:
German Missions in the United States - Miami
http://www.gabc.us/

Finally, as recommended by previous poster, research areas in Florida recommended by the Consulate and what German-American Clubs are active and vibrant. Many will have their own websites you can explore for activities, interests, etc.

If your father has specific interests, hobbies, religious or educational desires/needs, it's also important to research which areas in Florida offer them as well.

I know of many Germans settled in great numbers in Ft Lauderdale area, W. Palm Beach/Boca area, Naples, Ft Myers/Cape Coral areas, Orlando/Interlachen/Daytona Beach Shores areas and St Augustine/Palm Coast areas.

Good Luck!

Last edited by daytonadewd; 02-03-2010 at 12:51 AM..

Old 03-17-2010, 06:45 AM

4 posts, read 12,609 times
Fort Myers and especially Cape Coral seems to have the biggest German community.

Palm Beach is very nice but also very expensive.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
500k in Palm Beach County will get a GREAT home, especially in 55+ developments. Prices have really come down.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,712 times
Nick,

I just came across your post. Although your question is six months old, if your grandfather has not made a decision perhaps this information will be helpful. There is not one best answer to your question and I'm most familiar with the Tampa Bay area so my response will reflect that fact.

1 German Americans - in Florida there are 32 Clubs of German Americans. They have formed a parent association know as the United German American Societys of Flroida (ugasf.org). Palm Beach has one of the larger groups, but there is a very active group in Tampa Bay known as the German American Society of Pinellas County (Home), formed in 1951. They serve dinner and have a dance every Sat. night. There is a german Heritage Festival every year at the end of March and for the last 5 years it has been held in St. Petersburg (Tampa Bay) but in 2011 the festival will be in Orlando. In addition the US hosts a international Gaufest of Schuhplattler dances and the 2011 competition will be in Orlando as well.

2 Beaches - Tampa Bay is on the west coast of Florida. Depending where in the area you settle, you will have access to enjoy top rate Gulf Beaches. Pinellas County is a pennisula surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay. It has two beaches which have been rate #1 in America by Dr. Beach. There isn't much beach at Palm Beach, which is the reason why this opulent coast does not rate highly.

3 Location - Busch Gardens and the Florida Aquarium are located in Tampa. In addition Tampa has an active seaport from which cruise ships depart with some reularity. Tampa is about an hour and a half drive to the world famous Orland Amusment Parks (Disney, Universal, Seaworld). Tampa has an internation airport but no non stop flights to Germany. If you wish to fly with making a plane change you can drive to Orlando International. Tampa Bay is also rich with cultural and sports opportunities. It is the home of the Florida Orichestra, the Salvator Dali Museum and the Tampa Bay Rays, a Major League Baseball team and the Tampa Bay Lightning, a profession ice hockey team.

4 Housing Costs - It is a buyers market in Florida and real estate prices have been droping steadily since 2006. About one out of 3 homes being sold today are involved in some form of mortgage distress, such as a short sale or foreclosure. This creates significant opportunities for a home buyer. For $500,000 you grandfather could buy a waterfront property.

Last edited by elwagner; 07-07-2010 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida