Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 PM

25 posts, read 136,555 times

Advertisements

Some of what your hear is true. The property taxes are outrageous! The mosquitos are so bad because of all the canals and standing water, which is why nearly everyone has a screened room! The property insurance if you can get it is very expensive too. I love the beach too, but if you want a safer environment and schools just as good and clean beautiful beaches without the other issues, I would suggest Gulf Shores Alabama! Its beautiful !

Old 02-18-2010, 06:36 PM

872 posts, read 1,714,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Living here is just like anywhere else. It has it's pros and cons. What I've noticed here though is the absurdly amount of clueless people, (in the Orlando area anyway). I really don't know where these types come from, probably by-products of the lackluster school system. But we do have the best weather, most lakes and best sunsets I've ever lived. I like living here, but the people here are downright stupid. Sorry if I offended anybody, but for the size of Orlando and it's population, people here are still rude and it seems like most people's education level are stuck in middle school. It boggles my mind how such a beautiful place has so many idiots per capita.
You hit the nail on the head. Great weather but too many sketchy people in Orlando.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:29 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Google - public data

This link shows a graph of florida's unemployment stats. Note the huge upswing in 2008!

Also, when comparred with the unemployment of other states, florida ranks in the top five!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,828,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
100% agree - For me this move will not all of the sudden make my life a dream. But it does give me plenty of what I am looking for and that will make things better for me personally and for that I am thankful. I'm sorry you haven't had the best experiences, but am happy to hear that you are looking at the bright side of things rather than focusing on the dreary.

Please do explain both sides as they are going to be interesting to those of us trying to get there. An objective opinion is always respected. Thank you in advance.
I will try to explain my thoughts on prons and cons and thanks moderate guy
Now my views are based on a single 31 year old lady which I feel is going to be different then someone with a family.
The weather for me is much better then the 7 months of winter I came from. Now the summer was very long and did take a toll but overall I would rather have FL weather vs up north. It is not perfect but at least more tolerable on the whole.
Crime and good vs bad areas, this is and was an issue for me. You can go from safe upscale to not within 2 miles. This is very hard especially when moving to the area from another state because it is unfamiliar and everyones definition of safe is different when getting opinions.
I am renting at the moment but I am paying probably 500 more a month then I would be in my home state. Now again I chose for now to live in Boca which is more upscale and with that it costs more. When I was also looking for purchase in the area the HOA fees are so high it is almost insane. Now I am sure in FL there are other areas that are safe yet more affordable.
People and personalities again I am speaking for the area I am in and I can't say I get a warm feeling on the overall. I have met some very nice people don't get me wrong on the whole I feel is "fake" here. Also it is a snow bird area which makes the area very busy during the winter time.Again this is not for the whole state I am sure but the area I chose for now.
Activities/hobbies I feel for singles and families there is so much to do to keep active and part of community. Also weekend and day trips can be done where as in many states there is little near by.
Bugs and other icks yes this is gross but most places seem to keep up with pest control.
My thoughts on unemployment is that unless you have a job you should not move to another state unless you have a lot of savings. With all my moving I have friends in many states and it may not be as bad as in Fl or wherever but it still hard to get a job. Then if you move to a place you have the moving expenses on top of being jobless.
If retired I can see coming to FL either for snow bird or year round. There are many others in a similar situation so it is easier to have a social life. Also being older and having to deal with snow can lead to other health issues if one falls.
I do agree that people are looking at things in black or white thinking. Really a whole state can't be bad in terms of crime,no jobs,unfriendly people so a lot may be finding the area that will suit you better. Many things one could know before making the move here so to complain about it after makes no sense. Like cost of living and if one can afford it,weather,etc.
I guess what I feel about making a choice about a move is to not glorify things somewhere else and also there is no perfect just the best possible in ones situation.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:06 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deelo View Post
Some of what your hear is true. The property taxes are outrageous! !
I keep reading this and it's so untrue. My property taxes have dropped $1,400 in the last 2 years along with the drop in assessments. We now pay less property tax than we've paid in Boston, Chicago, or DC. I don't think there's anywhere in the country that we could find a property like ours with the same low property tax.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:11 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,574,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniellaG View Post
Now my views are based on a single 31 year old lady
Hi there Daniella. Welcome to the thread. I do enjoy your posts on this topic as they are very well said.

You're pointing out both the pros and the apparent cons to you and not bashing an entire state,

Old 02-19-2010, 08:52 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,212,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I keep reading this and it's so untrue. My property taxes have dropped $1,400 in the last 2 years along with the drop in assessments. We now pay less property tax than we've paid in Boston, Chicago, or DC. I don't think there's anywhere in the country that we could find a property like ours with the same low property tax.
You're right about that...my property taxes have fallen over 1K in the past couple of years as well. Currently, they are only a little higher than I would pay in Georgia or South Carolina much less one of the northen states PLUS we don't pay state income tax or sales tax on food and drugs. I don't think I can complain about that anymore!

Old 02-19-2010, 01:14 PM

541 posts, read 1,995,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by verobeach View Post
I think it depends on the area. Just like the cost of housing. My parents paid $3,000/year in taxes in Queens. NY. Beautiful, upscale neighborhood. Here in Celebration they pay $7,000/year in taxes for a 1 story smaller home/same size lot. Sorry, but NYC has a lot more to offer than Celebration, FL and the public transportation is awesome.

Some people think the cost of living is great here. We find it to be much more expensive than NY or MA. Our friends from CT, NJ and CA all agree. We moved from nice areas to nice (upscale) areas in FL though.

Old 02-19-2010, 01:18 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,764 times
[quote=ECX;12915053]I really would like some "TRUE" answers...

I am a 38yr old with a wife and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We live in Northern Delaware and are needing a major change... Employment is not an issue as I run a successful internet business and can work from home.

i have been researching Florida for some time and the more I do, the worse it seems...

We LOVE the beach, fishing, boating, swimming etc... These are the things that have me worried about a move to Florida. (by the way, we are thinking Port St John, Cocoa AREA and buying a home with a screened in pool)

1. Your house and yard will be INFESTED with Huge Palmetto Bugs, Giant Spiders and Massive Swarms of Bloodthirsty Mosquitoes!

2. The heat is unbearable for 8 months out of the year and you will do nothing but sit inside with the AC on full blast mounting massive electric bills.

3. The beaches get Red Tides all the time and smell horrible and burn your eyes. When there is no Red Tide, the waters will be filled with stinging jellyfish and man-o-war. They are also littered with trash and medical waste.

Last edited by lrmsd; 02-19-2010 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-19-2010, 03:59 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,369,132 times
[quote=lrmsd;12971263]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECX View Post
I really would like some "TRUE" answers...

I am a 38yr old with a wife and 2 kids ages 8 and 10. We live in Northern Delaware and are needing a major change... Employment is not an issue as I run a successful internet business and can work from home.

i have been researching Florida for some time and the more I do, the worse it seems...

We LOVE the beach, fishing, boating, swimming etc... These are the things that have me worried about a move to Florida. (by the way, we are thinking Port St John, Cocoa AREA and buying a home with a screened in pool)

1. Your house and yard will be INFESTED with Huge Palmetto Bugs, Giant Spiders and Massive Swarms of Bloodthirsty Mosquitoes!

2. The heat is unbearable for 8 months out of the year and you will do nothing but sit inside with the AC on full blast mounting massive electric bills.

3. The beaches get Red Tides all the time and smell horrible and burn your eyes. When there is no Red Tide, the waters will be filled with stinging jellyfish and man-o-war. They are also littered with trash and medical waste.
Where does this stuff come from???

1. I've been here for 5 years and I still don't know what a palmetto bug is. I've never seen a giant spider and after dark there are mosquitos but we have a screen enclosure so we've not been bothered.

2. Yeah, it's hot. It's Florida in the summertime. Unbearable? Only if you're running a marathon. Massive electric bills? My electric bills in July/Aug/Sept are a lot less than my heating bills were in the Northeast.

3. In 5 years, we've only experienced red tide once. The Atlantic side beaches, at least here in Vero Beach, are clean and unlittered. My grandkids always have a good time when we take them to the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida