Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:19 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
Ok. Thanks, ks. I knew is wasn't the italian (dad's side). But mom's is german & english. Don't like the english, but know little of the german. (food than is, folks-no politicing here, by me)
You can still hear German spoken in the town I grew up in, the people speaking it had family that had been in MO, in this particular town, for over 100 years.
Frying potatoes in lard is still a common thing there, and yummy too, I might add.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM

32,922 posts, read 36,316,341 times
German food... make something that looks like a crepe, fill it with a cooked fruit filling or Gnutella. Flop it over or roll it up. Drizzle with vanilla sauce. Food of the gods.

Old 09-14-2011, 11:51 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
The only worse food I can think of is "English food." Don't get me started on the mince pies over there.
You don't like Bangers & Mash, Shepherds Pie, Cornish Pasties, or Beef Wellington?? Well I sure do!:-)

Old 09-15-2011, 08:57 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,372,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
German food... make something that looks like a crepe, fill it with a cooked fruit filling or Gnutella. Flop it over or roll it up. Drizzle with vanilla sauce. Food of the gods.
That sounds good, but it sounds very French... Can I really serve this to my German in-laws as German food?

I do LOVE crepe dishes though... I have often thought about opening a small crepe restaurant (maybe even a crepe wagon)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
Lol... That is exactly what I need

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
You don't like Bangers & Mash, Shepherds Pie, Cornish Pasties, or Beef Wellington?? Well I sure do!:-)
Ugh.... My mom always makes me Shepherds Pie (she retired to a British Island and now cooks "British cuisine") but I don't have the heart to tell her I dislike it - not a fan of all that potato. I do love the pasties though... So good and convenient too! The perfect on-the-go lunch food. A brilliant creation.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:21 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times

Where's my hassenpfeffer??

Quote:
The only German food that I have found I like is spatzle (though I prefer Italian noodles - I guess spatzle is the German attempt at a noodle).
Every culture has its "attempt" at noodles.

Quote:
The only worse food I can think of is "English food."
Well, I'm with you there. But you hate bratwurst? That just ain't right ... I've had lousy German food, and delicious German food. Sauerbraten is so tasty when the spices are right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Beer!!! lots of it.
Yay!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:39 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,290,315 times

HEY.

OHIOGIRL

Maybe if it was wrapped in B A C O N ? ? ? ? ? ?

Saddle of Rabbit in Applewood-Smoked Bacon with Caramelized Fennel and Fennel Oil

There's plenty more recipes with rabbit & bacon, but I couldn't bring myself to look at more. (Poor little Peter Bun Bun.)

Old 09-15-2011, 08:19 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,314,019 times
Quote:
In an effort to teach my kids about their heritage (my spouse and I are both 1/2 German), I would like to learn to make a few good German meals. Maybe I can even serve it to my German in-laws.

The problem is that most German food seems gross to me. I prefer the Mediterranean diet (I am also 1/2 Italian) of light salads, fish, pasta, etc. I have found German food unappetizing, filled with fat, and questionable ingredients (I don't want to know what's in all those sausages & casings). I hate bratwurst/sausages, lard/fat, bacon, mayonnaise, heavy creams, heavy vinegar/pickled things - stables in German dishes.

The only German food that I have found I like is spatzle (though I prefer Italian noodles - I guess spatzle is the German attempt at a noodle). Maybe I can make a meal around that? I also love good cheeses and even cabbages. Any ideas?

BTW, I am usually adventurous with food (love Indian, Thai, Korean, Japanese, French, Caribbean, Ethiopian, etc.). I have tried many German restaurants and just do not find the food appealing at all. Maybe I should just give up on the German family dinners.

Sorry if I have offended any Germans out there. But I'm German too. The only worse food I can think of is "English food." Don't get me started on the mince pies over there.
I'm the same way about a lot of German and English food. I don't like sausages at all. I don't like spaetzle, or German dumplings. But since you like spaetzle, I've been told that the point of spaetzle isn't the spaetzle but in whatever sauce you put on it. Apparently I have never had the right sauce because I while I will eat it if I have no other choice, spaetzle does nothing for me.

You could serve spaetzle (with some kind of sauce) with poached trout. Germans also like smoked fish - I don't know how you feel about that since one of your concerns seems to be health, and my only thing against German food is that I don't like the majority of it.

Heringssalat (herring salad) is very traditional and popular with dark German bread.

Rouladen is pretty good. Germans devote all of spring to white asparagus, eating nothing but that with prosciutto. Now I like asparagus but not enough to make a fetish about it. But it is healthy.

Or an onion tart (http://bakingjournal.blogspot.com/2005/05/elsssische-zwiebel-torte-alsatian.html - broken link). Or bean soup.

For dessert, maybe a Black Forest Cake. Or a kaesekuchen - German cheesecake made with quark.

Others have already mentioned stuffed cabbage, and strudels.

Old 09-16-2011, 02:08 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
That sounds good, but it sounds very French... Can I really serve this to my German in-laws as German food?

I do LOVE crepe dishes though... I have often thought about opening a small crepe restaurant (maybe even a crepe wagon)...
Look for "German Pancakes" they are very similar to crepes. Just a hair thicker. I might have put a link in my earlier post.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

For dessert, maybe a Black Forest Cake. Or a kaesekuchen - German cheesecake made with quark.
I LOVE Black Forest cake! Nobody can do cakes and pastries better than the Germans.:-)

Old 09-22-2011, 03:49 PM

Thanks to whomever reped me yesterday. They put me at 1100.:-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink