Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:13 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismpat View Post
I don't like grapefruit, avocados (and I'm a lifelong California resident), durian, jack fruit and persimmons (except in cookies and other desserts). Other than those, I prefer fruit over vegetables any day.
you should hang your head in shame, being raised in Ca and not being thinking grapefruit and avocados were sent to us by God himself...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
Not crazy about citrus fruit. Like bananas and berries-esp. rasberries. And, cooked fruit in pies is okay--cherries, blueberries, apple, peach, but has to be homeade.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:04 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,426,097 times
I dont like grapefruit and i'm not crazy about mango or papaya unless they are in a smoothie.
There are i'd guess hundreds of fruits I have not had the chance to try.
Some like durian I wont even go there, if Andrew Zimmern wont eat it, it has to be bad.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:25 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
I've never even heard of durian or jack fruit. I had to look them up just to see what they look like. Thought maybe I'd seen them in the store but had just not payed attention to the name. Nope! Never seen them, but they certainly don't look appetizing.

I like most fruits, but am a bit picky about them. For example, I like apples, but not just any apples. I love Rome, Mcintosh, Granny Smiths, and a few others. Your basic Delicious, nope, not happening. Too sweet. Not a big fan of pears, except maybe thinly sliced in a salad. I can't just pick up a ripe pear and eat it. I can't stand the texture, and again too sweet. I love bananas, but only if they are still very slightly green. If they are even starting to get brown spots, in the trash they go. Again too sweet and too slimy. And don't anyone tell me I should use the ripened bananas to make banana bread. I can't tell you how many times I've heard that. I hate that stuff.

I'm not a big fan of papaya or mango but I will eat then if they are in something like a mixed fruit bowl or salad or something like that.

I love most all melons. The only kind I'm not really fond of is honeydew.

I don't know that I've ever eaten anything made with persimmons. I remember tasting one as a kid and not liking it, but honestly I don't think I've eaten anything persimmon since then. We have several wild persimmon trees in our backyard put we've never done anything with them. They just fall off and the dog eats them. They aren't big like the ones in the store though. They are really tiny.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,663,739 times
I ate jack fruit in Brazil. Watched someone knock one down from the tree. Little individual fruits inside w/ their own little pits. Tastes like a mild banana and slimy. But, interesting and fun to eat.

Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,474,867 times
I *tolerate* bananas, I hate the way they mash in your mouth and make noises. The flavor is good but the texture sometimes makes me want to gag. When I buy bananas, I like to eat them when they are really ripe (not green, but just out of that phase)...that way they are still firm and don't turn to mashyness in my mouth. *gag* I do like bananas though...they are great on pb sandwiches, in desserts, by themselves

Hmm...the ones I will not eat: peaches, mangoes, watermelon, grapefruit. My favorites are all kinds of berries, apples (omg @ Honeycrisp apples), pears, oranges, lemons and limes, starfruit, cantaloupe, honeydew...wait now I'm getting hungry!

Old 12-05-2011, 03:19 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,454,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Growing up in So Ca in the 40s and 50s, almost everyone had a persimmon tree in their yard and yes, you are right, they are good in desserts (this time of the year) but nothing else.
I have a healthy persimmon tree so I won't get rid of it, but I have the problem of not knowing what to do with the fruit except give it away. I have started chopping up the fruit and saute-ing it to make like a mango salsa. It's OK. Still, it's a good thing other people like eating them, because I sure don't.

No one's mentioned cherries. I don't hate them, but I could live without. The trees are nice looking in bloom though.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:10 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,766,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I have a healthy persimmon tree so I won't get rid of it, but I have the problem of not knowing what to do with the fruit except give it away. I have started chopping up the fruit and saute-ing it to make like a mango salsa. It's OK. Still, it's a good thing other people like eating them, because I sure don't.

No one's mentioned cherries. I don't hate them, but I could live without. The trees are nice looking in bloom though.
I forgot all about cherries. Yuk!

Old 12-05-2011, 05:13 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,238,868 times
Not much of a fan of pineapple, albeit once in a great while it's ok with me.

Old 12-07-2011, 07:07 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,420,767 times
Tomatoes. Avocados. Bananas. Apricot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink