Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2022, 01:08 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times

Advertisements

I'm quite fond of dill and seldom see i mentioned .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2022, 02:18 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
I remember using nutmeg in a pan fried steak recipe from a French chef on TV. Really good.

As for Sriracha, everyone uses the brand name but there are at least three kinds of sriracha sauces that come to mind: there's chili garlic sauce, then the smooth hot sauce, then the chunky chili sauce, which is the one I use most.

The last time I had dill was in potato salad (no mayo) alongside spicy Peruvian chicken. I still see it sometimes in those packs of soup vegetables they sometimes sell.

Old 03-23-2022, 03:35 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm quite fond of dill and seldom see i mentioned .
I buy fresh dill weekly - nothing better to season eggs (deviled, scrambled, frittata, etc.) as well as salmon (broiled or poached, or baked with a dill/cream sauce).

Old 03-23-2022, 10:03 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
So, it sounds like this Sriracha isn't spicy? I thought it was supposed to be hotter than jalapeño?

Well, I just might try that chicken with mango and Sriracha, and if it's hotter than hot, I'll know whom to blame

Just kidding. I won't really blame you as no one put a gun to my head and said buy this. If it's too hot for me, at least my hubby will eat it.

We have various sauces and dry powder spices that we use and I'm sure others here most likely do as well. It's just a matter of "how often" and that differs in definition from one house to another, or in that commercial, I put that **** on everything. . I like using turmeric on eggs and meat but I don't seem to do that everyday.

I like horseradish (sauce/not the sauce) on/aside various items - meats. Mixed to use for cocktail sauce.
I was quite young at the time my Mom asked me to prep the cocktail sauce for shrimp. I think I added maybe a bit more than I should have. Overheard someone from her (Mom's) group of friends comment to another that the cocktail sauce would knock your socks off. I wonder if that ever got back to my Mom?

Old 03-24-2022, 12:09 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I bought fresh dill last week and I have been using it for pickles, fish, potato salad and other salads.

Now I would appreciate it is someone could give me some ideas to use up a large container of ... caraway seed.

Old 03-24-2022, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I bought fresh dill last week and I have been using it for pickles, fish, potato salad and other salads.

Now I would appreciate it is someone could give me some ideas to use up a large container of ... caraway seed.
Goes great with cabbage if you care for it, also great sprinkled with coarse salt on bread, rolls, pretzels, etc before baking.

Old 03-24-2022, 06:38 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Not sure about anyone else, but I use a lot of saffron. We like saffron rice.
isnt it very expensive though ..have never tried it..

Old 03-24-2022, 09:47 PM

23,538 posts, read 24,029,400 times
We enjoy curry and usually buy Thai green curry paste, Thai Massaman curry or Thai yellow curry. We’ll usually prepare it with sliced chicken & potatoes. Each of the curries has a different unique flavor.

We enjoy Indian and Malaysian curries also, but usually will go out to a restaurant for those.
Haven’t had much success preparing these in our kitchen.

Old 03-24-2022, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
isnt it very expensive though ..have never tried it..
It's not cheap, but you can get great deals at Indian/Pakistani markets. A small tin costs around $10, and a little goes a looooong way.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
It's not cheap, but you can get great deals at Indian/Pakistani markets. A small tin costs around $10, and a little goes a looooong way.
About three years ago, I switched from buying spices from Penzey's and the Spice House to the bulk sections of Winco Foods and Sprouts, saving somewhere in the ballpark of 70% or more.

However, after shopping at some of the international stores in Las Vegas and Phoenix, I am not sure that some of the prepackaged Indian spices are any more experience.

Watch out for cheap "saffron". I lot of times, it is cut with tumeric.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink