Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 08:32 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm quite fond of dill and seldom see i mentioned .
Same here. I do like dill. I've been using it more often in the past few years because I started really taking a shine to Greek food. During COVID, my neighbor and I would order Greek from a nearby place to be delivered, but it got kind of pricy, so I experimented and made some Greek of my own, including homemade tzatziki. It is a bit of a pain to have to keep squeezing and draining the cucumber, but OMG double exclamation points, it is so much better than store bought. And since I was going to all that trouble, I bought fresh dill instead of using dried, and I also used it in the pork I made with souvlaki-style seasonings. (Lemon potatoes on the side.)

I use dill regularly with fish, too. Also, the Cloverleaf brand of canned tuna has a dill-and-olive oil one. I put that in salad.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:19 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,516,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I bought fresh dill last week and I have been using it for pickles, fish, potato salad and other salads.

Now I would appreciate it is someone could give me some ideas to use up a large container of ... caraway seed.
Use it in/on hotdog buns, soft pretzels, pickled carrots or sauerkraut, and I just got a lamb samosa recipe that has it. And of course, rye bread, I won't eat rye without them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 08:58 AM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
I use Sugar in the Raw (turbinado sugar) in a lot of things you don't think of as needing sugar.

Homemade pimento cheese, potato salads, soups, stews, sauces, salad dressings and vinaigrettes, sauteed vegetables, etc.

Just a pinch of this brown, crystallized sugar is often just the right thing that's needed to balance salty or acidic things out and it enhances flavor so well. Better than regular white sugar.

I also use Chef Paul Prudhomme's Magic Toasted Onion and Garlic Seasoning in so many dishes it's ridiculous. It's definitely my #1 go-to seasoning.

My grocery store stopped stocking it so I have to order it from Amazon now. If they ever discontinue it, I don't know what I'll do.

Just used it this morning in my sausage gravy.

Old 03-26-2022, 09:23 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,756,921 times
Canned chipotle in adobo. I use it to kick up black-eyed peas and for a spicy cole slaw dressing with mayo, lime juice and honey. I made it for a pot luck today and have enough of it left over to make another batch of cole slaw to use for fish tacos.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-26-2022 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-26-2022, 04:43 PM

8,044 posts, read 10,635,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I'm quite fond of dill and seldom see i mentioned .
I agree, Dill is an underrated and under used seasoning.

I make a sour cream/dill sauce to top fresh salmon and salmon patties; wouldn't be the same without it.

It is also the key ingredient in my deviled eggs - which everyone loves. Oh, and I also use it in my homemade ranch dressing.

Fresh is best, but dried is good in a pinch. You can freeze fresh herbs, if needed. They lose a little bit of flavor though.

Old 03-26-2022, 06:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
We have various sauces and dry powder spices that we use and I'm sure others here most likely do as well. It's just a matter of "how often" and that differs in definition from one house to another, or in that commercial, I put that **** on everything. . I like using turmeric on eggs and meat but I don't seem to do that everydAY
-FINALLY some one mentioned tumeric.
you guys better shape up,Indians use tumeric every day with their curry.
medical researchers go from village to village and cant find any ALZHEIMER patient,they believe it has to do with tumeric;

Old 03-28-2022, 08:56 PM

1,366 posts, read 994,885 times
Cardamom. Yucky by itself, but on flesh, and in stews it can be very useful.

Old 03-28-2022, 11:21 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
I got a pot of live (fresh) oregano as a gift recently - anyone have any ideas? I've never used fresh oregano before.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:02 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times
I use a homemade Lebanese 7 spice mixture that I am absolutely sure no one else does! The ingredients and amounts are all to my taste.

Old 03-30-2022, 10:34 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
There are some that we get from Penzeys Spices which has a store not far from us and also sells online. Our favorite is their Breakfast Sausage spice mix, I'll buy pork on sale and grind it, using this and it's sooo much better than store bought sausage. Then there are some dip and salad dressing spice mixes that we like. I also bought some of their Bratwurst spices but have not tried that yet. The Chip and Dip Seasoning is much better than the old Onion Soup Mix kind. We get it in the larger bottle.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink